Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

License Plate Location

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 01:12 PM
G1147
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
On my bike (15 Fxdb & 17 fxdls-same fender) no it won't. you will have to fabricate something (which I'm currently working on) then you can run led strips under/inside the fender as a 3rd brake light. The plan I'm working on should make it so it's not visible until the brake lights are illuminated
Thanks I was getting ready to place the order but figured I'd check first.
local regs want the plate horizontal, I don't, I usually rotate it 90* for inspection then back.
I really am beginning to dislike winter.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:45 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

If you want a 3rd brake light, this is what I'm currently working on: I'm using aluminum flat stock (I'm also going to make one out of black kydex and see which I like better, for the aluminum, cut a 6 inch (or whatever the width of your fender is) strip of flat stock, bend it (use a bending brake) Around 130 degrees depending on the curve of your fender (this way when it's mounted, it will be straight up and down. Now cut teeth into one side, and straight cuts on the other side. This will allow you to bend/form it to the underside of your fender relatively easily. Use the thicker 3m 2 sided tape (the thicker version of what holds rain guards on a car door) to secure it to the underside of your fender, then get the red led strips (10-20 bucks at any Autoparts store), cut them to length, and stick them on. Run the wiring along the inside of the fender with the factory rear light harnesses. And you have a 3rd brake light. Be sure to place it far enough inside so it's not visible until you're on the brake, but be sure it won't contact the rear tire. I'll post a pic of something I just made to show you what I'm talking about. I just made this real quick as a visual reference so it is a little sloppy.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Again, this is strictly a visual reference, I would never make something this sloppy for my or anyone else's bike. When you cut the teeth, you just want to cut enough to let the flat stock bend, the larger the gaps, the less surface area for the led strips to adhere to. The one I made for my bike is at home, but has almost no gap between the teeth. If the final product is what I made from aluminum and not kydex, I will have it powdercoated to reduce visibility of the bracket, and ensure it doesn't pit.
Hope this wasn't too confusing, and I hope it helps.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:08 PM
G1147
Advanced

Well done, if I didn't already have a brake light this would be the way to go, I will probably need to make something similar to GBG relocation kit to move the plate to the fender. Post a picture of your bike when you get a chance.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:38 AM
Platelock
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine. Was super easy to do with the stock mount. Just rotate the inner frame vertical and then reattach the plate. I think it looks way better than horizontal.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:03 PM
rory1974
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
Or something like this:

Is that a custom bracket for the license plate, or do you know who sells it. I was looking into the leather pros bags for my 16 street bob. Same color. Nice to see what my bike could look like. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:32 AM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

Home made

Old 02-26-2017, 02:46 PM
crtman21
Road Captain
Received 228 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by badvlvo
Moving the plate was the first thing I did, I think the plate hanging off the side looks like absolute crap.

I moved my plate using the relocation kit from Easy Brackets. Their website sucks, but their products are good. It has holes to move the tail lights too, but I didn't move them as I didn't like the way the bike looked with them that far back.

HD also sells one, but it's plastic and I didn't want that piece of plastic hanging off the back of my Lowrider S.
I used the Easy Brackets kit as well and moved the lights back only because i added the retro T-sport bags. The relo kit was easy to install. I really like the white LED light that illuminates the license plate. The more light that can light you up the better I think.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:27 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I bought a license plate holder on ebay and attached it to the rear bolt holding the belt guard....its a great location.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:55 AM
Mopar5599
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 362 Likes on 355 Posts

Does someone know the HD plastic rear fender plate mount part number?

Quick Reply: License Plate Location