Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kickstarter for 2016 FXDL

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 01:08 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts
Default Kickstarter for 2016 FXDL

Yup, that's what I'm thinking about. Does anyone make a kickstart unit for the FXDL? Yeah, I know it'll be a chore to start it. Don't tell me it can't be done. Would it be easy to use? Probably not. Can it be done? I think so, but not sure.

Now, would I actually use it? Damn right I would. I don't see much difference in kicking over a 650cc thumper vs. two 650cc thumpers.
Back in my college days, I had a 500cc Honda thumper. A friend just bought a new Honda CB 750K that had an electric starter and also a kick lever. I thought "holy crap" trying to start that much engine via kick would take Godzilla. So, I tried kicking it. I spun the engine up to about 3000 rpm kicking it over. It lit on the first plod. I was so surprised to find out how easy the big Honda fired up. I thought with all those valves/cams/conrods & pistons that it would be a real bear to light off. Turns out it was easy enough to do by hand.
Then again, I've started RM 125's with my hand tons of times. Tried a 250cc and barely did it by hand. No way would I attempt this with one of my racing 465's.

Anyway, so what do you all think? Silly? Sure.

But ya gotta admit, it sure would weed out the poseurs that wanna sit on or ride your bike.

Back when I raced desert/mx, the standing rule was,"If you can start it, you can ride it."

Anyone ever plod a kicker, only to find the passenger peg is down? Boy, you'll only do that once!

I see videos of people kicking their bikes. What drives me nuts is that they don't immediately bring the lever back to the top of the travel after their attempt, be it successful or not. These are the people that have never had the lever "kick back" on them, I guess.
Well, HD wants to "cash in" on old school/tradition/heretage gimmicks. I say let's let them!

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 01-02-2017 at 01:10 PM. Reason: spelling (thanks auto wrongo!)
Old 01-02-2017, 01:16 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Yup, that's what I'm thinking about. Does anyone make a kickstart unit for the FXDL? Yeah, I know it'll be a chore to start it. Don't tell me it can't be done. Would it be easy to use? Probably not. Can it be done? I think so, but not sure.

Now, would I actually use it? Damn right I would. I don't see much difference in kicking over a 650cc thumper vs. two 650cc thumpers.
Back in my college days, I had a 500cc Honda thumper. A friend just bought a new Honda CB 750K that had an electric starter and also a kick lever. I thought "holy crap" trying to start that much engine via kick would take Godzilla. So, I tried kicking it. I spun the engine up to about 3000 rpm kicking it over. It lit on the first plod. I was so surprised to find out how easy the big Honda fired up. I thought with all those valves/cams/conrods & pistons that it would be a real bear to light off. Turns out it was easy enough to do by hand.
Then again, I've started RM 125's with my hand tons of times. Tried a 250cc and barely did it by hand. No way would I attempt this with one of my racing 465's.

Anyway, so what do you all think? Silly? Sure.

But ya gotta admit, it sure would weed out the poseurs that wanna sit on or ride your bike.

Back when I raced desert/mx, the standing rule was,"If you can start it, you can ride it."

Anyone ever plod a kicker, only to find the passenger peg is down? Boy, you'll only do that once!

I see videos of people kicking their bikes. What drives me nuts is that they don't immediately bring the lever back to the top of the travel after their attempt, be it successful or not. These are the people that have never had the lever "kick back" on them, I guess.
Well, HD wants to "cash in" on old school/tradition/heretage gimmicks. I say let's let them!

Baker made a kit at one time... Let me see if I can find it.

Edit: Here is the installation PDF. Its called the Baker F6K.

http://crustyoldsite.bakerdrivetrain.../f6k-21809.pdf

Last edited by Maxxsmart; 01-02-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:21 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

You would need a new ignition or flash to the ecm that allowed it to fire on the first revolution of the engine. Modern ignitions spin the motor 3 times first so there's less chance of kickback on the starter.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:06 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

I see I would need to go back to a carb system too. Well, that's a deal breaker. I'm keeping efi.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:56 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

There are kickstart EFI bikes... They aren't incompatible technologies. My ex-wife has a very custom late model Enfield with EFI and kickstart.

Not to mention a bunch of dirtbikes...

Old 01-03-2017, 01:11 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
You would need a new ignition or flash to the ecm that allowed it to fire on the first revolution of the engine. Modern ignitions spin the motor 3 times first so there's less chance of kickback on the starter.
I'd be up for this. Even without a kicker. My EVO had no problems firing the first go round.
Always wondered why it didn't lite right away. Now, I know why. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:13 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by F86
There are kickstart EFI bikes... They aren't incompatible technologies. My ex-wife has a very custom late model Enfield with EFI and kickstart.

Not to mention a bunch of dirtbikes...
Very true. I was surprised also that the HD needed a mixer for a kick...
Fuel pressure issue?