Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam advise.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 02:12 AM
Proline1969
Cruiser
Received 184 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Cam advise.

Just got a stage 1 , pipe and tuner . And was talking with the dude at the dealer about dropping a cam , he suggested HD 55 or what ever brand id like . That's probably as far as I'd like to go with the motor . So what's my best bang for the buck ?

Last edited by Proline1969; 01-15-2017 at 02:18 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:46 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

You'll probably want to spend some time researching cams before you decide. Deciding which one you want can be the major part of the process.

Some cams give you more low rpm grunt (torque), others take some grunt away from the low end and spread it out over a wider rpm range enhancing high rpm torque. Some of em will give you a nice old fashioned lopey sound at idle too.

To optimize some cams, you'll want to consider doing a bit of extra head work. Others are more of a simple drop in. There is a lot to choosing a cam.

Last edited by HKMark23; 01-15-2017 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:35 AM
CryingJoker
Road Master
Received 240 Likes on 141 Posts

Study study study is all I can tell you. Talk to a local indy shop too, usually more helpful than the dealer primarily only knows/deals with Harley cams. You're riding style and needs are the two most important thing to consider. Do you want a cam with stump pulling torque down low in the rpm range? Are you more interested in higher rpm riding thus more drawn to hp? Are you simply wanting to join the 100 hp/torque club to brag to your friends? I kid on the last one but everything plays a part in cam selection. Also will this be the end of your performance goals or do you see other items in your future? Several questions to ask yourself. I simply thought I wanted cams in all my bikes. Finally getting around to doing them and talking to a new friend that runs a performance shop (first mistake) I ended up realizing I wanted to do higher comp pistons, mild headwork, and port the throttle body as well as the cams. Will it haul ***, I'm sure. Will it be fun to ride, I'll let you know. Would I have been happy with a simple cam swap, possibly for right cam. Figure all of it out and you'll be happy in the long run and come out financially better then buying a cam just to swap out again later. And on a parting note I will have a set of se259 and set of se255 cams available next week with under 1k miles if you're interested lol.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:13 AM
Lifestarts@40
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm in the same boat now. I'm considering a cam upgrade for the lopey idle
Most of all but wouldn't mind more power. For me,, I don't short shift but I don't rev the crap out of it either. I keep it between 2600-3000 most of the time. Just putting around I usually shift around 3300 but am not afraid to run it up. So for me I have to find a cam that's strong and efficient in that rpm range with a lopey idle.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:28 AM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Proline1969
Just got a stage 1 , pipe and tuner ....dropping a cam ... what's my best bang for the buck ?
Originally Posted by Lifestarts@40
I'm in the same boat now. I'm considering a cam upgrade for...power. For me...
Men, this is winter and some of us are snowed in! Sounds like you are both on the right track so time is crucial. You see during winter many of us live vicariously through threads people make of an upgrade, often times just like what faces both of you now. So, make haste, immediately buy what you will need, start tearing apart, take pics, blah, blah, blah, crisis averted.

No time for slack-jawed bewilderment, we're counting on you, good luck

The following users liked this post:
Proline1969 (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 12:12 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lifestarts@40
I'm in the same boat now. I'm considering a cam upgrade for the lopey idle
Most of all but wouldn't mind more power. For me,, I don't short shift but I don't rev the crap out of it either. I keep it between 2600-3000 most of the time. Just putting around I usually shift around 3300 but am not afraid to run it up. So for me I have to find a cam that's strong and efficient in that rpm range with a lopey idle.
Take a real good look at the SE 204. Its a drop in with no head work needed and the lift doesn't tax the stock springs. It gives a great lope, similar to the Andrews 57H, (check it out on YouTube), and comes on at about 2800 rpm. Your 6th gear will pull strong at 2800 +, with a 204 installed.

Last edited by HKMark23; 01-15-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:51 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Some cams give you more low rpm grunt (torque), others take some grunt away from the low end and spread it out over a wider rpm range enhancing high rpm torque. Some of em will give you a nice old fashioned lopey sound at idle too.
Just be aware that no cams for Twin Cam bikes will give you "that" lopey idle or that "Potato Potato" sound.

My Twin Cam FXDF has Andrews 57 cams, headwork and 2:1 pipes. It sounds great - but it doesn't give the same "dopey" "potato potato" sound that my shovelhead does.

Horses for courses.....

Old 01-15-2017, 05:31 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by adm
Just be aware that no cams for Twin Cam bikes will give you "that" lopey idle or that "Potato Potato" sound.

My Twin Cam FXDF has Andrews 57 cams, headwork and 2:1 pipes. It sounds great - but it doesn't give the same "dopey" "potato potato" sound that my shovelhead does.

Horses for courses.....
My reference to YouTube will give good reference as to the obtainable sound. I wasn't going for some purist ideal and didn't reference EVO's, etc.,,,, "YouTube" !!!

Old 01-15-2017, 07:21 PM
arkstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have a 96 cid engine then the Andrews 48H will work great. I have a used set that came out of my bike. I went to a 103 with head work and went to a bigger cam. The 48H in a 96 has a lot of TQ.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:11 PM
662894v
Tourer
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Take a real good look at the SE 204. Its a drop in with no head work needed and the lift doesn't tax the stock springs. It gives a great lope, similar to the Andrews 57H, (check it out on YouTube), and comes on at about 2800 rpm. Your 6th gear will pull strong at 2800 +, with a 204 installed.
I've got the 204's in my 96"10' FXDWG. I run RInehart 2-1, Fuelmoto stage 1 intake, and a powervision for a tuner. It's got a nice lope at idle. It is a really good all around cam. Fuel mileage has not been affected at all. To give a real life example, At a 45mph throttle roll on in 6th gear it will blow the doors off of a stock 96". It is a really rideable cam.

The following users liked this post:
HKMark23 (02-23-2020)

Quick Reply: Cam advise.