Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raked trees

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 02:17 PM
Not E'nuff Harley
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Raked trees

Who is running raked triple trees on their Dyna midglide. I am looking at either a 5 degree rake with 2" over tubes or a Fatboy front end.I am interested in what you think of the rake? Any negative handling issues? Would you do it again.Any pics of your ride would be great!Thanks.http://www.seegercycle.com/raked-tre...treet-bob.aspx

Old 01-18-2017, 03:20 PM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts
Old 01-18-2017, 06:02 PM
Not E'nuff Harley
Road Warrior

Thank you for the link. Great info. I really suck at search. Wonder if the community college offers a course on that?

Old 01-18-2017, 11:01 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

I've got 2" over fork tubes but stock rake. Handles pretty much the same as stock. In theory, the raked trees will make it a handful at low speeds.

I keep thinking about more rake with even longer --4" over maybe-- tubes, but I just like the way it rides so much now I don't want to screw it up.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:03 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Reindeer
I've got 2" over fork tubes but stock rake. Handles pretty much the same as stock. In theory, the raked trees will make it a handful at low speeds.

I keep thinking about more rake with even longer --4" over maybe-- tubes, but I just like the way it rides so much now I don't want to screw it up.
Technically, raked trees will will make it a handful at speed.. Raking trees decreases trail which causes high speed stability issues.. Raking the steering neck increases trail which makes low speed harder but increases high speed stability.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:18 AM
Fishonsc
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Technically, raked trees will will make it a handful at speed.. Raking trees decreases trail which causes high speed stability issues.. Raking the steering neck increases trail which makes low speed harder but increases high speed stability.
Bingo! If you want it raked out. Do it right. Have the neck cut and racked.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:01 AM
Not E'nuff Harley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bwoltz
This is why I am looking for input from the guys that have done it. The calc says it will work, as well as the 3 companies that I spoke to that make the trees. As far as having my frame worked, the closest shop that can do it is 350 miles away, and I can pick up a WG frame with the 34° rake I'm looking for, for about the same money.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:32 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by Not E'nuff Harley
This is why I am looking for input from the guys that have done it. The calc says it will work, as well as the 3 companies that I spoke to that make the trees. As far as having my frame worked, the closest shop that can do it is 350 miles away, and I can pick up a WG frame with the 34° rake I'm looking for, for about the same money.
Btw those Extreme Rake Kits (maybe not 3-5°) also rake the neck. So they Rake the neck which creates more Trail and then Rake the trees to bring back (reduce) the trail. At the same time giving even more of a "Raked Out" look.

You could use some 3° raked cups to get your 29° frame out to 32°

http://www.seegercycle.com/chopper-kit-faq.aspx

Last edited by multihdrdr; 01-19-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:37 AM
Not E'nuff Harley
Road Warrior

Thanks for the reply. Seeger is one of the companies I spoke with on the phone. They are all saying tat increasing the rake on my Superglide from 29° to 34° can be safely and effectively accomplished be raked trees alone. I would like input from people who have actually done it and hear their experience with it.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:09 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Not E'nuff Harley
I've not done it so I can't comment on doing it.. One thing to note is that what can also be done increase fork neck rake is to use shorter shocks in the rear and longer forks in the front end. Both mods rotate the static position of the frame to increase the angle at the neck. It like the guys that are selling raked trees are making those changes.. They add 2 inches to the forks and look to be using shorter shocks in the back. I suspect the prostreet look where the frame is level and low will need more frame rake than 29 degrees.

I agree that it would be nice to discuss this with someone who has done it..

Quick Reply: Raked trees