Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burly slammers on an 07 FDXC

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 09:43 AM
Ceddie
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Burly slammers on an 07 FDXC

I'm thinking about changing the rears on my FDXC to the Burly 10.5s

the end goal is to lower the bike a couple inches in order to make it a little easier for my wife to ride.

are there any real negatives to lowering the bike or using these shocks to bring it down that I'm not thinking about?

Old 01-20-2017, 11:37 AM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

Hopefully some will chime in with some positive advice. Im still stock with my street bob but i have road lowered bikes in the past. Normally from what i have expereinced and read if you lower the bike it usually rides a little firmer and doesnt have as much travel. Depending on the method you choose to lower it and how much. You dont wanna lower it very much because the worse it gets. An i have seen people lower them to much and then the tire rubs the inner fender. Also changes the geometry of the bike therefore changes the handling when riding.
One thing i know for sure because i have lifted and lower MANY trucks. Anytime you lift or lower something from stock no matter the brand it will have pros and cons. An you get what you pay for in the suspension world.

Last edited by hollandhunter; 01-20-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:03 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Some good points from hollandhunter. You're gonna lose about half the suspension travel on those shocks. So not only will the ride be harsher but it will be easier to bottom out, especially riding two up. I wasn't clear if you meant your wife will be riding the bike herself, or as a passenger. You could consider a different seat, boots with thicker soles, or just lowering it less.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Ceddie
Advanced

she want's to ride it solo. she has the skillset but is 5'4" and a little worried about being at the end of her reach when putting her feet down.

We're looking for a way to get the saddle closer to the ground so she can get more 'purchase' with her feet and a little wider, more stable stance.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:48 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Contact Mean City Cycles. They are excellent at modifying stock or aftermarket seats to get what you need.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:58 PM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Yep,like he said try to get the footing through a seat mod first. The slammers will work but she may not care for the ride that much.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:55 PM
Ceddie
Advanced

I'll give mean street a cal Monday, they are closed now...

thanks for the input

Old 01-20-2017, 02:18 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I've never heard anyone mention it, but low profile tires might also be an option. You wouldn't lose suspension, but you'd still give up lean angle.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:51 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I put the slammer kit (front and back) on my 07 FXD about 2 months ago. Flat footing is much easier and I have noticed a slight difference in handling, I say slight because I am not one to really push the ride, just take it easy. I did scrap a couple times turning out of parking lots but that is a self correcting error. The ride is noticeably, you feel those small bumps and holes. I have ridden 2up once and did not bottom out. Prior to the slammer kit I bought a Saddleman heels down seat, it also helped.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:29 PM
Saddlemen
Former Sponsor
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Suspension of course and a seat that is narrow in the nose also makes a huge difference in getting your feet flat on the ground. Message me if you'd like to chat more about this , happy to help .
Buster / Saddlemen

Quick Reply: Burly slammers on an 07 FDXC