Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for opinions on fat Bob bobber

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 02:07 AM
Tall Timber
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

I Love it

I'm also of the larger stature (6'7") and am now thinking my 14" bars and 2" risers might not be tall enough.

What brand white walls are they and what size did you go in the back? Did you remove the front fender for style or because of the wide tyre?

Only changes I'd do (personally) would be a rocket bobs rear fender, black out the triple trees and has been said a single headlight.

But hey that's me, you got this far on your own keep up the good work!!!

Old 01-21-2017, 03:35 AM
Nemosengineer
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridinglife
<SNIP>I might be confused by hrdnox comment about rearranging the letters to "look at me I'm a poser" but then saying great work?? I guess since i made my own cover and decided that that would be the part of the bike that "sets" off the style I'm going for cuz that's who i am that makes me a poser? Hmmm learn something new everyday i guess lol
Hrdnox has a really good eye, and builds to a very high standard. I don't think he was calling you a poser per se. You did ask for opinions and Hrdnox gave you one.
So... Heres mine, you're doing your own thing that's good, the bike there's a lot to like about it, you're making plans and the future state will look even better...
But I have to agree with Hrdnox the lettering on the air filter is way bad, really. I dont know whether its the font or the color, I dont care what it spells or what the word means to you, that's not my place to comment on that because it doesn't matter in this context. But the visual presentation detracts from the good work you have done because the lettering is so overpowering everything else. Try something different would be my suggestion.
There are a lot of guys here that follow there own instincts and build bikes that represent themselves and their own ideas. Welcome to the club, its a good place to be, take this stuff with a grain of salt, were all here to help each other and fill the world with bitchin Harleys.

Best Wishes: Mike

Old 01-21-2017, 07:29 AM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridinglife
That was another thing i was going to try out was a tank lift just to see how it would look with such tall bars. As far as leg room I'm a little cramped when the stock 2up seat is on. The bare bones drops me down and slides me back towards the rear fender. At least enough for me to have a little more leg room but i could definitely use a little more. Forward extensions were going to be my next big purchase since it has a ton of engine work already done to it when i bought it. I might be confused by hrdnox comment about rearranging the letters to "look at me I'm a poser" but then saying great work?? I guess since i made my own cover and decided that that would be the part of the bike that "sets" off the style I'm going for cuz that's who i am that makes me a poser? Hmmm learn something new everyday i guess lol
LOl,sorry man half the time what I mean and what comes out aren't always in line. It's just that working (and drinking) around a few Brits over the years the word "Hooligan" is a reference to a guy I'm pretty sure your not.And thats a good thing. Again,great job on the scoot.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:10 AM
Ridinglife
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gotcha hrdnox. No offense taken just was confused at the comment is all. If i had the 4 or 500$ to buy the forward faxing cone style intake that's really what i want i would buy it. But 4 kids and a wife my budget is quite slim to say the least. However this is the first time I've heard "negative" feedback on the cover and I'll definitely take it into consideration. Btw "hooligan" here the state's most likely has a completely didn't meaning than in the UK so I'm not really worried about that Lol. Tall timber to answer your questions.....first...i removed the front fender for both reasons to begin with but found out after i put the tire on that the fender most likely would've fit but just pretty snug. I left it off after that because it fit the style I was going for. The tires are shinko 777 HDs (heavy duty) the front is a 150/80/16 and the rear is a 180/65/16. Ratings are: front i think is a 71H and rear is 81H. The bars are la choppers tree huggers 19inch. But they don't have risers so technically speaking theyre roughly a true 18 inch tall ape without the 1 inch riser and with me sitting on the bike with the stock 2up seat they're almost dead even with my shoulders. With the bare bones seat on They're a little above my shoulders. If that helps any....

The following users liked this post:
Tall Timber (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 08:33 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Not sure what your fabrication skills are but I also have to work on a tight budget and wanted a Sidewinder style air cleaner. It's not my favorite style, but I could not stand the constant knee irritation from a flat filter housing. I couldn't spend the coin for the real deal (and had some styling issues with them, anyway) so I made my own. Total cost was about $100, half was the filter itself.

I don't have any good build pics, but I bought a bent aluminum tube intended for turbo intercooler plumbing from ebay and cut/formed to fit the carb.

Custom dyed K&N filter using RIT dye & a ton of degreaser beforehand.

Metal-finished, a bit of filler, and H-D "texture black" paint.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:41 AM
Ridinglife
5th Gear

Dude that looks amazing!!!! I never thought about getting rid of the backing plate order to get the tube on. Great idea!! What did you do to the drain plugs for the heads?? They look like they're blocked off or something

Old 01-21-2017, 09:05 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

The backing plate was one of the things O hated about the commercial products. I wanted to be able to see the carb.

The heads still breath thru "breather bolts". There are various styles available. DK Custom and Lowbrow Custom both have selections.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:06 AM
Ridinglife
5th Gear

Awesome man!! That looks great! My fab skills are definitely good enough to come up with something like that. Thanks for the idea!

Old 01-21-2017, 09:40 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Sweet. Good luck!

Finding a tight radius bend was one of hardest parts of the job. I found one guy on ebay selling them. Most are large radius bends. Seller is "boeschbuilt".

http://m.ebay.com/itm/2-5-2-1-2-mandrel-bent-aluminum-tubing-90-degree-bend-turbo-intercooler-race-/261953488305?hash=item3cfda505b1%3Ag%3AIdUAAOSwgQ9 VlnR3&_trkparms=pageci%253Adcb620c6-dfef-11e6-981a-005056bb17c9%257Cparentrq%253Ac1af227c1590a7870bca aefbffad5638%257Ciid%253A1

Old 01-21-2017, 10:04 AM
Ridinglife
5th Gear

Sweet! Thanks again man! Always looking for hints ideas and tips!

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions on fat Bob bobber