Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burly Cable Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 09:25 PM
Andrewwayne
Tourer
Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

I just put a burly cable kit on my bike it was a easy install quality was pretty good price was better than buying individual cables but a service manual is a must fir first time i used the 12 in kit on my low rider but could easily got with 14 in narrow bars on that set up

Old 02-21-2017, 08:01 AM
kgfrew
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b1gj0n44
Yea that wiring process is a B. Getting the wiring back in the fram is pretty tough too. Its easier if you are able to get to the wiring from the back and pull, but you will either need to remove the rear wheel or lift it on a stand to give yourself enough clearance. Some wiring lube helped too. But that process was a PITA
Wiring lube? I'm trying to feed the wires through the bars and having a tough time, I've actually got them stuck at the moment (fml) but what is this wiring lube you speak of? Is that what it's actually called? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:04 AM
kgfrew
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Andrewwayne
I just put a burly cable kit on my bike it was a easy install quality was pretty good price was better than buying individual cables but a service manual is a must fir first time i used the 12 in kit on my low rider but could easily got with 14 in narrow bars on that set up
So far I'm struggling with little dumb ****. But yea running the cables has been a breeze. But having crappy snap ring pliers and issues with the wires getting stuck in the bars really has put a damper on things.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:54 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by kgfrew
Wiring lube? I'm trying to feed the wires through the bars and having a tough time, I've actually got them stuck at the moment (fml) but what is this wiring lube you speak of? Is that what it's actually called? Thanks in advance.
Yeah, it's commonly used when pulling wire bundles thru conduit. My dad was an industrial electrician and I helped on a lot of jobs. Be mindful that improvised lubricants may deteriorate the insulation over the long term. I would be comfortable with a silicone oil but be wary of anything with petroleum bases. (WD-40, oil, vaseline, all-purpose lubes, etc)

We always used Ideal or Greenlee...but that was on commercial/industrial installations...

Last edited by cggorman; 02-21-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:03 AM
kgfrew
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cggorman
Yeah, it's commonly used when pulling wire bundles thru conduit. My dad was an industrial electrician and I helped on a lot of jobs. Be mindful that improvised lubricants may deteriorate the insulation over the long term. I would be comfortable with a silicone oil but be wary of anything with petroleum bases. (WD-40, oil, vaseline, all-purpose lubes, etc)

We always used Ideal or Greenlee...but that was on commercial/industrial installations...

Huge thanks! I just purchased some silicone lube spray. Lets hope it helps me get these wires out!

Old 02-21-2017, 02:59 PM
b1gj0n44
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

You can wrap them in electrical tape and then lube them up, then just remove the tape... when wiring the bars.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:12 PM
kgfrew
Intermediate

Quick update, I got the bars wired. I ended up removing the wire extentions originally to get the wiring through the bars then ended up realizing they where not needed so they stayed off. Mounted the bars, attached the cables up, bled the brakes and tomorrow I will finish reconnecting the throttle cables and it should be a wrap as soon as I get those wires back into the frame (not looking forward to that). I will post pictures when I finish and give more advice so anyone in the future can use this thread as reference. Thanks for the help fellas.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:00 PM
kgfrew
Intermediate

Here is the finished product, looks and feels better then I had imagined it would. I am definitely glad I went ahead and got the 14in Tbars rather then the 12in.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:15 PM
kgfrew
Intermediate

As for the install of the cable/wiring kit. First I'd like to thank anyone who gave me advice and/recommendations. Now for the details, I only ended up using the extended clutch and front brake cables. So if you have a 2001 Superglide FXD you will only need those to put 14in Tbars on your bike. I didn't even have to use the wiring extensions as there is plenty of wire that comes out of the frame. The job took me 3 days , I had a few hiccups that made this take so much longer then it should have. When I was feeding the wires through the bars they got stuck so I recommend applying some silicone lube before you attempt this. And bleeding the brakes was a huge PITA, they would not bleed at all with the pump method that usually takes some time to accomplish correctly. So what I ended up doing was buying a big plastic syringe and pushing the brake fluid from the bleeder up through the line into the reservoir, took a few minutes and worked like a dream. The biggest issue I ended up having was getting all the wiring back into the frame, I spent a few hours trying to get those bastards back in and I ended up saying f*ck it and got in as much as i could then wrapped them up nicely in a bundle and zip tied them. I do have a fairing so it made hiding them a breeze. All in all it was a good learning experience and the bike ended up turning out great. If anyone has questions feel free to ask so I can help you avoid some issues I ran into.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:18 PM
kgfrew
Intermediate

^these three videos where a huge help

Quick Reply: Burly Cable Kits?