Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will this work for my 99 FXDWG transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 05:14 PM
JC1966
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default will this work for my 99 FXDWG transmission

I have read thru some of the older post about the trans fluid, and I have an extra quart of this left over from my Mitsubishi 3000GT, this stuff is like $16.50 a quart. and I don't need the extra quart anymore...so I thought if it would work,

On the last day I rode, if I got on the bike hard from a dead stop it shifted from 1-2 ok, then 2 times in the same day going from 2-3 it was like it didn't want to shift at all. I had to let off the clutch and try about 3 times befor eit finally shofted when it slowd down a little, I wasn't going real hard just cranking it from a dead stop to see how it sounded. When I rode it slow and shifted at lower speeds NOT "getting on it" it did ok the rest of the day....

I know on the AMSOIL motorcycle page it list the AMSOIL V-TWIN 75W90 but is this the same stuff? or would it work in the dyna glide tansmissions?

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=MTGQT-EA

Save
Save
Save

Old 02-27-2017, 05:59 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by JC1966
I have read thru some of the older post about the trans fluid, and I have an extra quart of this left over from my Mitsubishi 3000GT, this stuff is like $16.50 a quart. and I don't need the extra quart anymore...so I thought if it would work,

On the last day I rode, if I got on the bike hard from a dead stop it shifted from 1-2 ok, then 2 times in the same day going from 2-3 it was like it didn't want to shift at all. I had to let off the clutch and try about 3 times befor eit finally shofted when it slowd down a little, I wasn't going real hard just cranking it from a dead stop to see how it sounded. When I rode it slow and shifted at lower speeds NOT "getting on it" it did ok the rest of the day....

I know on the AMSOIL motorcycle page it list the AMSOIL V-TWIN 75W90 but is this the same stuff? or would it work in the dyna glide tansmissions?

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=MTGQT-EA
First off; adjust the primary chain deflection That primary isn't right. And then, while it's cold, adjust the clutch pack as well; she just isn't right. Worry about fluids after that; get everything adjusted properly first. You're not going to solve that issue with some mystery whale squeezings, the primary and clutch pack aren't right yet...

Old 02-27-2017, 06:13 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I agree with TinCup. The tranny is just a gearbox. Straight cut gears and dog clutches. Dead simple. Controversial but given the same viscosities, gear oil is gear oil.

Make sure your compensator, primary chain, and clutch are all in good shape and properly adjusted. Also make sure the primary lube is simple oil. No friction modifiers or voodoo. Other than the clutch plates, it's just a chain.

This is turn of the century tech. 1900s...not 2000s... Special lubes and additives can make subtle changes but not miracles.

A monkey could build this...

The following users liked this post:
TinCupChalice (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 06:23 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Also make sure the primary is not overfilled, the level should be at the bottom of the outer clutch shell, bike vertical.

If shifting is still difficult after you check the clutch, cable, primary chain and primary lube level, it will be time to check the shifter pawl adjustment.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:28 PM
JC1966
Advanced

ok will check the primary chain tension, clutch cable and clutch adjustment, then go from there....

thanks guys

Old 02-28-2017, 07:01 AM
JC1966
Advanced

Yeah I wasn't really expecting miracles, just since I had it on hand, ans it cost so much when I got it, I already did an oil change the other day on the bike, (Used HD 20/50 oil ), that was one reason for the ride since it was a nice day, an actually it was the first long decent ride since I got the bike a few weeks ago, I was wanting to make sure everything was ok with the bike. and I though maybe whatever trans fluid and primary fluid, may not of been changed in a while, I figured since I did have that, if it would work, instead of buying more, I could use it....and not let it just sit around and get nothing out of it....
but this weekend if its nice outside I will check all those things to see if everything in the clutch and cable and primary chain are adjusted correctly.

thanks

Old 02-28-2017, 07:16 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

While different fluids in the primary and transmission do make subtle differences, it's the adjustment of the primary, clutch pack, and the clutch cable freeplay that are the most important. And as Dan89 pointed out, overfilling the primary will bring problems as well; when you do the primary deflection, clutch pack, and cable freeplay follow the SM. As you become familiar with the procedure you'll see how changes to the adjustments will alter shifting, finding neutral, friction zone at the lever, etc.

I wish HD had never gotten away from the manual primary chain adjustment and moved to an auto tensioner

Old 02-28-2017, 07:29 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Seriously. I don't understand the thought process behind the ratcheting adjuster. Nobody does that. Springs or hydraulics I could get behind, but the effectiveness, simplicity, low cost, and long service intervals of a manual adjuster just scream "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Old 02-28-2017, 07:51 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Exactly; it makes no sense to me either

I've spent so much time around older HD's that when I finally bought this '13 I didn't actually realize HD had gone to the auto tensioner until she was in my garage. I spent so much time researching EFI and deciding if I was willing to start swimming with those sharks that I completely missed that auto tensioner downgrade!

I will be doing the Baker compensator and their Attitude manual adjuster; they're both on my short list of upgrades

Old 04-05-2017, 11:18 AM
JC1966
Advanced

ok its been a while since i started this, and have not been able to get aroundto changing the other fluids (primary and trans) and getting afew test rides until yesterday, cold weather here and other things like work get in the way......but anywho its weird that some days i ride it and if i get on it real hard it shifts ok, and yesterday from 2-3 gear it still dont want to go in, and from 4-5 gear at times same thing. i checked the primary chain tensions its ok, i went on youtube and found a great video and adjusted the clutch cable and the clutch itself .. I put the amsoil 80/90 transfuild and the recommended HD primary fluid in the primary. I did notice in the primary the drain plug had kinda a bit of metal shaving stuck to the magnet, and the old fluid that came out of there was real silver like metal liquid in there.
Does it sound like maybe the shifter linkage may be adjusted or something, or a clutch or transmission problem. It on acts up when i pull out from a stop and really let it wind before shifting, and no i dont wind itnn out too much, too hard...

any other suggestion besides letting HD charge me a boocoos to check it???

Quick Reply: will this work for my 99 FXDWG transmission