Anyone swap out LRS for internals for standard 49mm aftermarket kits? - Harley Davidson Forums

Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, FXR Super Glide, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.

Anyone swap out LRS for internals for standard 49mm aftermarket kits?

P

Old 03-20-2017, 03:25 PM
Default Anyone swap out LRS for internals for standard 49mm aftermarket kits?

So purchased some preload adjusters from speed merchant and works progressive spring kit for dyna 49mm forks, not really thinking too much about it. Already have the works shocks and wanna work on the front. As soon as I pulled the left fork cap, knew there was a difference between the two. Oooppss.

Guy at works didnt seem to know anything or have advice. Sooooo.... Figured Id check here what you guys have been doing to upgrade the front end on the LRS? Personally I was gonna pull em apart and throw the aftermarket stuff in and trash the oem stuff. Still 49mm tubes and such, not sure why it wouldn't work and go with fluid specs for standard dyna 49ers.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:03 PM
Club Member

Guess you missed the fact (?) that the LRS comes standard with the HD premium fork cartridge in one of the tubes. If you pull it out everything else is the same. Did that to mine with racetech springs and emulators. If you only have springs you'll need the rest of the internals. Dampener, etc.

Edit: I may be wrong on the "everything is the same" comment. See below.

Last edited by Mchad; 03-20-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:06 PM
One Of The Regulars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchad View Post
Guess you missed the fact (?) that the LRS comes standard with the HD premium fork cartridge in one of the tubes. If you pull it out everything else is the same. Did that to mine with racetech springs and emulators. If you only have springs you'll need the rest of the internals. Dampener, etc.
Mchad, you weren't able to use the same fork tubes were you? I was told they're different than a Bob or standard LR
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSSPirate For This Useful Post:
Mchad (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 06:22 PM
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSSPirate View Post
Mchad, you weren't able to use the same fork tubes were you? I was told they're different than a Bob or standard LR
Good question. The dealer I bought the bike from also took my '15 Low Rider in on trade and offered to swap the fork internals for me a couple months after I bought it. I'm a big guy and the racetech springs were high rate, so they were rough riding for lighter people test riding the bike. Worked out for my as I was about to order the kit again. Ended up a win win, but I don't know if they swapped tubes now that you mention it.

Online parts fiche shows different part numbers left and right, with others using 2 of the same PN. No idea what the differences is.

OP, I apologize for the potential misinformation.

Last edited by Mchad; 03-20-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:44 PM

Gonna sell off the stuff. Gonna have Race Tech go thru em. They've done a few sets now.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:39 AM

Hmm so the LRS fork tubes themselves are different than other 49mm Dyna tubes? I'm about to purchase a set of aftermarket tubes in gold but this is giving me pause as it sounds like they may not accept the stock internals for the LRS.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:23 AM
Road Captain

If the LRS has the HD premium kit in it the left tube is different than a regular Dyna. I installed the HD premium kit on my Fat Bob and it came with a new left tube. This is because the left side uses the cartridge and does not require the check valve which is swaged/rolled/pressed into the OEM tube. With the premium kit the right side re-uses the OEM tube. The HD premium kit only has one cartridge for the left side, on the right side it has a conventional tube with holes damping system.
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Enough For This Useful Post:
Hooligan317 (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 12:15 PM
Club Member

I did the works dual cartridge kit on my LRS and I had to get a new fork tube 46605-06 $88.61 because the cartridge side (left) on the LRS's Tube is different and will not accept any stock components Because the bottom of the pipe is a different size I don't recall the specifics off the top of my head but no it will not work you need to get a fork tube
Old 03-22-2017, 01:10 PM
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nick View Post
I did the works dual cartridge kit on my LRS and I had to get a new fork tube 46605-06 $88.61 because the cartridge side (left) on the LRS's Tube is different and will not accept any stock components Because the bottom of the pipe is a different size I don't recall the specifics off the top of my head but no it will not work you need to get a fork tube
Well,there it is ..Bottom line about $90.00 on top of whatever kit/cartridge you decide to go with. Single cartridge = good,dual cartridge = better IMOP.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:40 PM

Thx for the info guys!

P