Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Lowrider S issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 06:53 PM
trikky74
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Lowrider S issues

Hey guys,
I have a 2017 Lowrider S with a little over 760 miles on it. I broke it in according to the owners manual, no over revving or hard shifts.

I have been noticing the bike drops into neutral when I'm trying to shift from second to first, no matter where I have the rpms or how I manipulate the shifter. Today on the way home I stopped for a light and put the bike in neutral, when I tried to shift into second the shifter wouldn't move.

There was no play, it felt really firmly locked into neutral, I tried revving the bike up and shifting, and rocking it back and forth but nothing worked. I pulled over to the side of the road and tried again and it shifted into gear.

My history is on crotch rockets, and I've never had these types of shifting issues. I know part of the appeal to the Harley is how "clunky" it shifts and how loud it is but I'm more than a little concerned. The bike is brand new, and I'm the only rider.

Is this an issue of operator error, par for the course with a Harley and screaming eagle 110, or an issue I need to have addressed?

Thanks!

Old 03-22-2017, 07:21 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Contact the dealer you bought it from, this would be under Warranty. Not normal.

How's your clutch cable looking? Mine got loose, caused some problems. Super easy fix. Quick visual check would be if you can move the lever towards the headlight after you let it go. If you can, it's loose.

The following users liked this post:
trikky74 (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 07:28 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by trikky74
Hey guys,
I have a 2017 Lowrider S with a little over 760 miles on it. I broke it in according to the owners manual, no over revving or hard shifts.

I have been noticing the bike drops into neutral when I'm trying to shift from second to first, no matter where I have the rpms or how I manipulate the shifter. Today on the way home I stopped for a light and put the bike in neutral, when I tried to shift into second the shifter wouldn't move.

There was no play, it felt really firmly locked into neutral, I tried revving the bike up and shifting, and rocking it back and forth but nothing worked. I pulled over to the side of the road and tried again and it shifted into gear.

My history is on crotch rockets, and I've never had these types of shifting issues. I know part of the appeal to the Harley is how "clunky" it shifts and how loud it is but I'm more than a little concerned. The bike is brand new, and I'm the only rider.

Is this an issue of operator error, par for the course with a Harley and screaming eagle 110, or an issue I need to have addressed?

Thanks!
Transmissions definitely loosen up as they break in. My road glide, I used to never find neutral on the first or even second try, after about a thousand miles it shifts right in. The stuck thing is odd though, check your linkage maybe? I upgraded mine using helm joints and made them too tight, and the return spring wouldn't return the lever back to center. One half turn of the nut and we're good to go. Not sure this could be applicable, but something to look at maybe?

trikky74 (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 08:19 PM
lowboy72
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I experienced this and resolved it by adjusting the clutch cable. It was after a bar swap and i did not have the cable properly adjusted. If that does not work you probably have bigger problems.

trikky74 (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 08:59 PM
trikky74
5th Gear

Thanks for all the replies, glad I have the 2 year warranty on it.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:05 PM
ktp1598
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Never tried to shift into 2nd from neutral but I know a misadjusted clutch cable can give you fits. Rode 1 at the dealer and I couldn't find neutral for anything. Mine hits it everytime. These are good transmissions so I'm thinking it's likely an adjustment somewhere.

trikky74 (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 09:12 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

If I experienced this I would start by adjusting the clutch both cable and behind the derby cover. Loosen the cable til the clutch lever is touching the handlebars then adjust it behind the cover. Yea it's under warranty but I don't like having my bike down so I'll do whatever I can before takin it to the dealer. If that doesn't fix it I would wonder if it's due to a bent shift fork. But I'm not the best with transmissions either. Let us know what happens.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:15 PM
trikky74
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ktp1598
Never tried to shift into 2nd from neutral but I know a misadjusted clutch cable can give you fits. Rode 1 at the dealer and I couldn't find neutral for anything. Mine hits it everytime. These are good transmissions so I'm thinking it's likely an adjustment somewhere.
Couldn't get the bike to drop down into first so I figured I would try and kick it up into second to get it to move but the shifter wouldn't move at all. Hope it's something as simple as the clutch cable.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:18 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Try it. If you're mechanically inclined you can definitely do it yourself. 5 torx bits and you're in. Plenty of YouTube videos. Use a good quality torx but though

Old 03-22-2017, 09:20 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,081 Likes on 1,909 Posts

have you tried with engine off, rock back and fourth to see if can go thru gears?
if this works ok, as others said check clutch adjustment.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lowrider S issues