Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Need A Forward Control Tool?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 07:37 AM
silverbullet2005
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Need A Forward Control Tool?

Ihave an extra sprocket holding tool made up if anyone needs one. it's made from 1/4" platesteel and works great to hold the sprockets during the installation of your new Forward Controls or for when it comes time to remove everything to change a drive belt. I'll post a picture when I get home from work. this is for 06' and newer bikes.

$20 shipped
Just PM me if your interested or email me at silverbullet_sportsman@yahoo.com

Old 06-12-2007, 09:31 AM
rocksandgiz
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Anyone Need A Forward Control Tool?

Do you have a picture? Just interested in what it looks like.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:46 PM
hounddog
Tourer

this must be for the 06 and newers??? cuz im puzzled as to what your refering to, my 05 fxdci required nothing more than your standard allens and a 3/8" drive ratchet and sockets. yes please post a pic very curious......

Old 06-12-2007, 08:26 PM
silverbullet2005
Tourer

picture is posted, it's nothing spectacular but it's needed to get the job done!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:43 PM
hounddog
Tourer

where are you putting it at and what is it actually doing?? as i said before i cant see any reason for this on my 05 are the 06 and ups differant?? [&:]

Old 06-12-2007, 10:48 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

You don't need that tool because you don't have to remove the primary on the 2006 and up Dyna's. The 2006 kit comes with a longer rear shift lever that requires you to remove the primary to install it.That longer shift lever will give you more leverage for an easier shift, but it will also increase your throw.I preferthe shorter throw andit isnt any harder to shift then the original set up.I bought thethe cheaper 2005 kit because I planned on getting a custom shift rod.You have to use a longer shift rod with the 2005 kit other wise the front shift lever will hit the primary when you up shift. Also the 2005 kit comes with a bracket to bolt down the original shift lever, but it is pretty easy to remove, read below.
[/align]
Removing the original shift shaft lever
[/align]Geta hacksaw blade and tape each end with duct tape, leaving about two inches exposed in the middle. Also put some duct tape on the primary and cylinder cooling fins.Tape a wrench onone end to get a better grip (on the end of the bladeso as you pull on the wrench you will be on the cutting stroke of the blade).Slip the blade between the primary and engine from the bottom of the bike with the wrench end on the bottom.Use your other hand to guide the top of the blade as you cut. I cut about three quarters thru then wrapped a rag around the shift lever and used vise grips on the other end of the shaft splines and sheared it off.
[/align]
[/align]
Coverforthe original shift shaft lever hole
[/align]
[/align]I used achrome carriage bolt http://www.chromebolt.com/51618-x-134-chrome-carriage-bolt-p-845.html, and put atwo inchpiece of rubber hose on the threads then added some shrink sleeving on the hose to get a nice snug press fit into the empty shaft hole.

[/align][/align]
[/align]Here's a photo with the 2005 kit and a 2006 polishedstainless shift rod on my 2006 Low Rider.
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]

[/align]
[/align]
Part numbers here:
[/align]http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]Check prices here:
https://www.zanottimotor.com/shopping/partLookUp.html

[sm=laughat.gif]

Old 06-13-2007, 07:51 AM
silverbullet2005
Tourer

To do the job correctly you do need this tool becuase you need to remove the original shifter shaft from the backside of the primary housing, you will also need to remove the trans shift lever to install the longer lever supplied in your kit. The tool locks the compensator sprocket and clutch sprocket from moving so you can remove/install the 165 ft/lb bolt which is locktited in. You can Hack your stuff up doing it the other way but why dothe installhalf *** when you paid good money for your bike and new forward controls? WS6 and I have got into this discussion in the past so we obviously don't have the same opinions on which is the right way to do the job but if you don't want to cut up your stock parts, leave the shifter in and zip tie it or leave the stock trans shift lever in and have to buy a longer shift rod then you will need to do it the way that HD recommends. hope this helps.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:46 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

ORIGINAL: silverbullet2005

To do the job correctly you do need this tool becuase you need to remove the original shifter shaft from the backside of the primary housing, you will also need to remove the trans shift lever to install the longer lever supplied in your kit. The tool locks the compensator sprocket and clutch sprocket from moving so you can remove/install the 165 ft/lb bolt which is locktited in. You can Hack your stuff up doing it the other way but why dothe installhalf *** when you paid good money for your bike and new forward controls? WS6 and I have got into this discussion in the past so we obviously don't have the same opinions on which is the right way to do the job but if you don't want to cut up your stock parts, leave the shifter in and zip tie it or leave the stock trans shift lever in and have to buy a longer shift rod then you will need to do it the way that HD recommends. hope this helps.

Sorry, but I still think it is better to do it as you say, the "half ***" way. There is really no reason to tear the bike apart to install them. You end up with the same result except you still retain the shorteroriginal rear shift lever which gives you a shorter shift throw and a lower and level shift rod which in my "opinion" looks a lot better. And as far as all your other posts on this subject I don't know whatto say.......

[/align]
[/align]
https://www.hdforums.com/m_463338/tm.htmPost #11[/align]
Leaving it in there is just plain stupid and anyone that does that to a Harley should be shot and forced to ride a jap bike.
[/align][/align]
Hmmmmm, aren't these your "jap bikes" ?[/align][/align]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v721/silverbullet2005/My%20CBR%20600RR/?start=all[/align][/align]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...XR%20600%20K6/[/align][/align][/align]
[hr]
[/align][/align][/align][/align]
[/align][/align]https://www.hdforums.com/m_463338/tm.htmPost #13[/align]
Doing that is fine if you want to hack off the original shaft and do it the shadetree way. I like to keep all my original parts so that if I ever need to resort back to them they are in usable condition. also if I ever sell the bike I have the original parts to reinstall or give to the new owner. I am just the type of person that takes pride in doing the job the correct way the first time.
[/align][/align]
[/align][quote]ORIGINAL: silverbullet2005[/align][/align]https://www.hdforums.com/m_1608282/tm.htmPost #1[/align]
[size=2]I just bought a 2006 Dyna Street Bob and would like to put on the Dyna forward controls, if anyone is interested in trading my mid controls for their forward controls even up then contact me asap. Thanks David

Old 06-16-2007, 10:35 AM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i installed my fowards on my 06 dyna and never needed to use tools like that, just allen wrenches. was a simply bolt on if you ask me. jackyl

Old 06-16-2007, 01:36 PM
silverbullet2005
Tourer

WOW you took alot of time WS6 to show that your just a complete JACK ***. oh and YES those were my previous jap bikes. next time you want to hijack someone elses thread think twice cuz not everyone wants to hear your BS.

Quick Reply: Anyone Need A Forward Control Tool?