Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
H-D Formula+ Chaincase Lubricant (factory fill)
39.53%
Something Else
60.47%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Inner Primary bearing failure/Primary Oil Used

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Cynic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner Primary bearing failure/Primary Oil Used

If your 06 later Dyna experienced inner primary bearing failure, what oilwere youusing in the primary at time of failure?

Old 06-16-2007, 12:52 PM
clayman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Inner Primary bearing failure/Primary Oil Used

I started off with the factory oil then at the 1600 km service i went with syn3, then shortly after switched to amsoil 20/50 in primary and enigine and amsoil 75/90 in the trans. Bearing failed arround 8k

Old 06-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Oilslick
Tourer

Come on guys. I'd be interested in this as well.

Old 06-17-2007, 02:33 PM
Cynic
Road Captain

Not wanting to change the subject too much here, but as a automotive machinist Ithink I'm capable of diagnosing component failure. Case in point: I've had two new Evo 4spd Sportsters that were babied and still both ate outer trans trust bearings (washers). Both trans were shimmed within spec. The material was actually swapped (friction welded) between the cast in case insert and the thrust washer. It was obvious to methe H-D Sport Trans Fluid wasn't doing it's job. Needless to say, I now longer have faith in their concoctions and use something else (from what they recommend)in their bikes regardless of model, including my 06 Bob

Old 06-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Timmer
Road Captain

Amsoil synthetic 20W50. Put it in @ 5000 service and at the recent 10,000 mile service, not sure if I can count that, as the bearing is now cooked! Tim

Old 06-17-2007, 04:07 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,771 Likes on 2,063 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cynic

.................................................. ...
material was actually swapped (friction welded) between the cast in case insert and the thrust washer.

It was obvious to methe H-D Sport Trans Fluid wasn't doing it's job.

Needless to say, I now longer have faith in their concoctions
and use something else (from what they recommend)in their bikes
regardless of model, including my 06 Bob
Cynic, you sure it is not a supply issue as opposed to a concoction issue??

How is the lubricant fed to the washer in that tranny??

Which lubricant do you use in your machines??

mud

Old 06-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Cynic
Road Captain

mudpuddle

All the trans components are splash lubricated, and in all honesty the washers were fairly rough ground to begin with and could have initiated the smearing process because of it. Another thing common to those trans were high shifter component wear due to rough edges from the stamping process and poor material choice for some components, both leading to very high premature wear. The cure for the Sportster trans was Kal-Gard 20-50 high moly motorcycle trans fluid.

I use 15-50 Mobil1 auto formula in my motors, Super-Tech Full Synthetic 75W-140 gear oil (API Service GL-5) in the trans and a 50/50 mix of Polaris Full Synthetic snowmobile chaincase lubricant and Super-Tech75W-140 in the chaincase. The Polaris fluid is extreme pressure even though it's as thin as water. The resulting mix is about like auto trans fluid.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Arrow
3rd Gear

I'm replacing the primary bearing and parts around it for 2nd time in 16k. The first time was at 10k and now I'm doin' it again at 16k. As far as I know I've been using the synthetic oil. I was told by dealership this was the best. Do I really need to be a mechanic here and request diferent oil for the diferent parts and if I don't choose correctly the part will break in 10/16k? Mother-Fritch!

[IMG]local://upfiles/38292/BDA356467B584890A5A7D85E1E89800E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-11-2007, 06:45 PM
sandysharley
Intermediate

I have had same failures in my 06 Street Bob. Failed 1st time at 7500 and was running Syn 3, failed again at 15000, dealer claimed because snap ring on bearing not installed properly, switched to Amsoil and went again at 22500. Argued about getting complete new set up, but motor company said wouldn't do unless failed again. Still using Amsoil and went out for 4th time at 30000. After raising hell with the dealer, they finally got withthe area rep, they are replacing case and upgrading to 07 bearings, only thing going back in is my old gear set, not real happy with that, but will wait & see what happens, have the 7 yr extended warranty. Should get bike back next week sometime, as they finally got new case and all related parts in Friday. They said mine was not the usual, and I put a lot more miles on a bike than most. When I first got bike, the motor company put out letter saying the bearing would be a 15000 mile service item and they would cover it, then got another saying they had taken care of problem. Guess they forgot to tell my bike.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:53 PM
grizzly
Road Master

ORIGINAL: sandysharley

When I first got bike, the motor company put out letter saying the bearing would be a 15000 mile service item and they would cover it, then got another saying they had taken care of problem. Guess they forgot to tell my bike.
I have not hit 15K yet due to deployments......but I am worried that its not if it goes, butwhen. Hope someone told my bike...[>:]

Quick Reply: Inner Primary bearing failure/Primary Oil Used