Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inner Primary Bearing Recall

Old 08-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Psycho
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Inner Primary Bearing Recall

ORIGINAL: sandysharley

I'm on my 4th bearing, it has failed like clockwork every 7500 miles, I was told second time, 15000 milesdue to improper snap ring being installed at 7500. I switched to Amsoil in hoping it was Syn 3 problem, but at 22500 went again. I tried to get them to replace whole set up with new, but motor company wouldn't do it, said would have to fail again. Well, at 30000 it went again. After raising a lot of hell with dealer, they got with area rep and are replacing everything with 07 case & bearingsexcept gear set, which I thought they should also do. Should get bike back sometime next week, at least they gave me loaner at no cost while bike down this time, said they would eat difference in $75 and what normally charged that warranty provides to rental. Area rep supposedly told dealer that this is not normal & I was exception and that I rode a lot more than most people as bike has 30000 in 18 months. When bought bike in 12/05, had a letter stating bearing would be 15000 service item covered by warranty at no cost to owner, then got another saying it wasn't a issue anymore. Noises were primary getting extremely loud as stated in earlier posts, especially when in neutral. When cold out, was really loud and when first rode, could feel shaking through foot pegs as stopping and when in upper gears at highway speeds. Sounds just got worse with miles, wasn't willing to take chance much after it got to the 7500 mark as didn't want it seizing up while going down road. At least I have another 4 months on original warranty plus I got 7 yr extended. My bike was built in 12/05, and was delayed 6 weeks because of neutral light recall as ordered in 11/05.
Okay, now your story has me hitting on a different theory. At this point, with the power and knowledge of the internet at our fingertips, we have shared enough experiences on this websit to rule out; bad batch of bearings, snap ring placement, and lubrication type. About the only thing remaining that could be specific to one bike, and not another, is the alignment of the hole in the rear primary case casting.

In other words, I wonder if some of the castings had the hole slightly out of alignment/off center, causing undo pressure to be placed on that bearing???

What other reason could there be for your regional rep to replace your entire setup with a new one off an 07?? The 07 model has the exact same bearing and setup as the 06 you have now?? Could they be thinking it's your inner housing that's the problem???

Old 08-11-2007, 07:33 PM
sandysharley
Intermediate

That was my thought when it went out the third time, that case was machined wrong and bearing was put in bind, but they didn't want to do anything then. When it went again the 4th time, was when they decided to do something different than just replace bearing again. I even thought shaft going through bearing might be out of whack and causing the undo pressure, and wanted it all replaced, but they would only do the transmission and primary case, and bearings with 07. Will get bike back next week sometime and will have part numbers hopefully to compare with what they did before.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:25 PM
shoptroll
Banned

All the posts I've checked so far were either 06's or they didn't say. I have yet to see a poster with an 07 as Cynic mentioned. I guess maybe we should start another poll to see which years and when bikes were puchased to see if we can narrow this down.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Psycho
Road Master

ORIGINAL: shoptroll

All the posts I've checked so far were either 06's or they didn't say. I have yet to see a poster with an 07 as Cynic mentioned. I guess maybe we should start another poll to see which years and when bikes were puchased to see if we can narrow this down.
What months of 06 were affected has been eliminated as well. There has been a broad spectrum from early models, to mine, which was a june 06' model.

I'm wondering if maybe they fixed a problem with the case manufacturing process in 07'?? This is about the last theory I've got on it. It just seems that some have zero problems, and the ones that have the problem, have it over and over and over again, leading me to suspect something besides the bearing causing this.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:41 PM
dlstanf2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I remember correctly; the problem was in the material used to make the bearing. That was supposed to have been changed sometime after October of 06. Since my bike was manf. 10/06 I've been suspicious of mine. However, with almost 6500 miles, I have had no problems with my transmission. It runs quiet.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:41 PM
shoptroll
Banned

ORIGINAL: Psycho

ORIGINAL: shoptroll

What months of 06 were affected has been eliminated as well. There has been a broad spectrum from early models, to mine, which was a june 06' model.

I'm wondering if maybe they fixed a problem with the case manufacturing process in 07'?? This is about the last theory I've got on it. It just seems that some have zero problems, and the ones that have the problem, have it over and over and over again, leading me to suspect something besides the bearing causing this.

Makes sense to me. To be continued...........
I did a search and this only seems to be a problem with the Dynas, and the 06's were the guinea pigs for the 6 speed trannys.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Born to twist
3rd Gear

2006 Street Bob, Manfacture date: 12/05, noise from the primary case (especially when hot). 8200 miles. Sounds like a similar problem.
Gotta love it.[:@]

Old 08-13-2007, 12:22 PM
92XLH
Advanced

The bad bearing shown above looks very much like the cluster bearing that went out on my GMC pickup. The dealer seemed very surpised that it failed but it appeared that the bearing roller had been inferior and had come apart. There was no obvious lack of lubrication. No problems since it was replaced. But, it does seem strange that someone would have three or four of them go out.

06 Cobalt Street Bob

Old 06-08-2018, 02:31 PM
fatchoppers
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shoptroll
I asked my service manager about this today and he said they got a SB when the 06's first came out about the 15K replacement. Then they got another SB that said it wasn't an issue anymore. He also said they haven't had to replace any. He did confirm the Wideglide handlebar recall and said they have replaced quite a few of those. Based on past experience, I have no reason to doubt his word, but it obviously is a real problem for some owners. This is really weird. Guess we'll all have to monitor this situation closely. I'm sure if it continues to be a problem either the MOCO will have to deal with it or the aftermarket will provide a solution.
why does the manual say to replace every 15 k As part of maintenance ?????

Old 06-08-2018, 03:18 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,013 Likes on 602 Posts

Hard to believe the factory would choose the cheapest available. I guess it's like railroad crossing lights...a certain quota of deaths are required before installed.

These day bearing manufacturers go to extraordinary efforts to produce quality products.

Automated grinding machines watch tolerances with camera's and adjust automatically.

If bearing goes out of tolerance hoppers will retract so they can separate all out of spec rollers / *****.