Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 06:42 AM
06 lowrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ignition switch stuck

i have an 06 lowrider and had the same problems it got worse not better and i too it to the dealer and they said they had the same problems with some other bikes and the replaced it so you might keep an eye on it if the switch starts to get a little loose and keeps jamming up have them replace it

[IMG]local://upfiles/33499/D3F5AF05FD1547219D7E2B332B00D01E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-11-2007, 07:01 AM
dazza
Advanced

had a similar problem with my 07 lowrider and my key got stuck and I couldnt get it out. Same deal it was fine one minute and jammed the next. As per the other guys WD40 fixed it and now I do it once a week, never had a problem since

Old 07-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Ratbasturd
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Punty

ORIGINAL: 06dynablack

wd 40 in switch will be your friend
you really need to go with graphite
Second the graphite. Mine was gettin grabby feeling just shot some graphite in it and worked it in, now smooth as silk.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:49 PM
TimDynaBob
Banned

07 Dyna Bob
same deal
1 squirt of wd-40
no problems since
smooth as silk

yes, graphite will also work, but wd is better for water resistant properties

Old 12-21-2007, 08:15 AM
Botzman
Novice

Fast forward 16 years later and HD still hasnt addressed the Ignition/fork lock issue. I have a 91 Sturgis. Ignition by battery box/fork lock in fork neck. Waaay back when bike was new had an issue with the fork lock assembly. The center of the key lock would shift out of alignment with the outer lock area. In other words, the two notches wouldnt line up and allow the key back in the lock. This would happen after you locked the forks. It would just shift about an 1/4" by itself. I was lucky enough to have this happen to me while 2000 miles from home on way to Sturgis. Simple solution. I ground off the outer tit on the barrel key against a curb until it was worn away. You could now insert key if the notches didnt line up. You could then return switch to the lined up position. I now carry that modified key along with a regular key if it ever happened again. Which it did probably 20 times since. I was lucky enough to find a NOS ignition switch with fork lock barrel and keys brand new on eBay. Switched everything out and no problems since. I still carry that modified key just in case. Hope this helps. Incidentally same trip...had the key fall out of the ignition on Route 80 and run over about 50 times. Some locksmith made me a new key out of the destroyed one in his garage. I was lucky that day. Hope this helps someone if you ever have same issue......Botz

Old 12-21-2007, 08:23 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: TimDynaBob

07 Dyna Bob
same deal
1 squirt of wd-40
no problems since
smooth as silk

yes, graphite will also work, but wd is better for water resistant properties
graphite is better and WD 40 dries up. I would think about silicone spray for a lube on elctrical parts itis Dielectric.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:14 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 06dynablack

wd 40 in switch will be your friend
Bingo, we have a winner! I had the same problem and used some WD40 and it seemed to take care of it.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:30 AM
skip3406
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used graphite in exterior locks for years and never had a problem. WD40 is a quick fix and doesn't last as long. As for moisture, spray some WD40 in a glass and add water and seethe WD40 go to the surface.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:28 AM
mojo
Tourer

Am I the only fan of "PB blaster" ? I quit using WD-40 a couple years ago and PB has been great for everything I use it on and lasts longer then WD-40 ever did for me anyway.. Good luck, Mojo

Old 12-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Black Bob
Cruiser

Ditto on the WD40. Had the same problem and a small squirt did the trick - part of regular maintenance routine now.

Quick Reply: Ignition switch stuck