Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone replaced their own rear cam bearing?

Old 07-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone replaced their own rear cam bearing?

As I understand it, the first year for the Twin Cam in the Dynas (1999) had a recall campaign against the rear cam bearing. Harley's reciprocation was a 5 year 50K mile campaign recall.
Well, I bought the bike used and looked up the VIN on the Harley site and see that it was never done and furthermore, the local dealer says that Harley cannot honor the fix past the 5/50.
The bearing is not much dough at all and I have no problem digging in and getting my hands dirty, but I was just wondering if anyone here has done their own replacement of this bearing?
Reading my shop manual, it seems pretty straight forward.
Thanks in advance

Old 07-02-2007, 04:07 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Has anyone replaced their own rear cam bearing?

There was no "recall". The MoCo only replaced the bearing if it went out.

Changing it out is a pretty easy job. If I were going to take it apart, anyway. I'd swap in a set of bolt in cams.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:56 AM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

Does anyone here have a 99 TC88 and not replaced the rear cam bearing? Is it crutial to change it out or can I just ride it and keep e fingers crossed? Harley was not very clear as to whether or not it is a truly threatening concern or not. I will be taking the bike on some trips this year, as every year, and don't want to get stuck on the side of the road with a huge repair bill......
Any insight?

Old 07-04-2007, 07:54 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would ride the bike and put synthetic oil in it. Save yer money, my buddy has over 30,000 miles on a 96 wide glide.
If you deceide to do a top end later on change yer cam bearings to Torrington cam bearings. You can do some cams, PP yer heads and do a upgrade on yer pistos. Check the oil pan screw when you change yer oil for metal. Chances are yer o.k. if it hasn't gone out yet.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:32 AM
ride99fxd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed to gear drive cams. That eliminated the bearing problem and the tensioner problem also. If that rear bearing takes a dump, its going to cost a whole lot more than the gear drive cams and kit.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:56 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

going to gear drive cams will just make more noise, if yer bearings go out, you better cut yer motorcycle off. the bearings going out will eat the end of yer camshaft up and throw particals of metal in yer oil pump not to mention the rest of yer engine.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:33 PM
SCREAMING EAGLE
Banned

ORIGINAL: The Butcher

Does anyone here have a 99 TC88 and not replaced the rear cam bearing? Is it crutial to change it out or can I just ride it and keep e fingers crossed? Harley was not very clear as to whether or not it is a truly threatening concern or not. I will be taking the bike on some trips this year, as every year, and don't want to get stuck on the side of the road with a huge repair bill......
Any insight?
I bought a 1999 twin cam lowrider and within 350 miles it ran like crap , i then brought it to the dealer andthey said there was a recall on the bearing , i ended up having them do a big bore 95 kit and they saved some labor because they had to take it apart anyway

[IMG]local://upfiles/35788/1A402FF0BD2F4F6FBCB44485CFEDA684.gif[/IMG]

Old 04-17-2008, 07:00 PM
kevdog
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a 2000 Softail and punched in the VIN on HD's website and it did come up with that bulletin but I wasn't certain whether it was specific to my bike or if the bulletin automatically came back for any 99-00 bike. Does anyone know the answer to this? Is there any easy way to find out if the bearing on my bike was swapped out?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:06 PM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

inner cam bearing is easy to replace. get a blind hole bearing puller and pull the bearing and just lightley tap in the new on writing to the outside. make sure you clean the packing grease out and lube it with some good oil. make sure you replace it with the timkin/torrington upgraded bearing and not the stock hd bearing.