Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleys do vibrate. The Truth

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:18 AM
TimDynaBob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harleys do vibrate. The Truth

All,

I own and have experiencedvibration issues with my 07 Street Bob.
My name is Tim, and I'm a vibroholic......"HI TIM"

I have however been on the education road ever since. Reading as much as I can get my hands on about Harleys; American Iron, the forums, recall information, technical data, etc.

My issue was really centered around excess vibrations in the footpegs when decelerating with a load (riding 2-up). I will say that my local service manager took what I had to say as gospel, test rode it at my 1K check-up, but could not feel anything abnormal.

I didn't give up, sited the many issues with faulty, broken, or misaligned motor mounts and he said to bring it back in. Again they test rode it under load, and felt some vibrations this time as I had described. They began the process of shimming the front motor mount, but found the mount itself trashed upon inspection. They (said) they replaced it. I was so grateful that I never asked to see the old one....I should have. The difference riding 2 up was noticable - the vibrations at decel were essentially gone or well-dampened. However, a turn or two of a wrench could have achieved the same result. My continued education does tell me that many (not all) HD dealers try to maximize income and minimize actual work. For those who get things "replaced" then eventually feel those vibrations they thought were fixed return...what does that tell you?

Anyway, my front mount was "replaced"200 miles or so ago. Lately I can feel different vibrations developing when riding solo - mostly at low rpm's and parade-type constant speeds. I always and still do feel vibes at idle - bars vibrate noticably, and anything in the mirrors is ghosted. But once I place my hands on the grips, 50% of it goes away, just by weight being placed on them...and some transferring to my arms of course.

After I start off and reach a comfortable rpm/speed, all seems steady, however I don't understand those who say their mirrors are clear and they can read road signs. At 65mph and above, the wind alone places enough force on the mirrors so that slight ghosting is apparent, and road signs are tough to read - nothing to do with vibration of the bike...just the wind!!!

I notice sometimes that when I decel faster than normal, as the engine rpm's wind down to that point "just before idle" there is a vibration felt through the frame/pegs, etc. Is there another motor mount trashed? Loose? It may just be the personality of the bike - Harleys more than any other bike have personalities all their own.

I guess what I am really trying to say here is that Harley Davidsons are not designed or manufactred to be tight-toleranced, smooth glidingmachines. They are manufactured to maximize a "feel"...that "harley feel" which is NOT in any way, shape, or form like the ride of any other brand of motorcycle - foreign or domestic. They are also manufactured to maximize performance now in this 21st century as well. The marriage of the two don't always end up hand in hand! The introduction of the 96 and the 6-speed have their own design flaws.

Vibrations at idle - exist on just about EVERYsingle Harley model I have ever ridden, seen, or read about. That being the case, I think common sense would tell you that at various rpm's and speeds, rubber-mounted engines (such as the Dynas) are going to present engine vibrations that are as haphazard as the associated riding conditions with which they are presented.

Take any Dyna and ride it at 60 degrees outside temp, with low humidity, at highway speeds (60-80 mph). Now take the very same bike and ride it at 90 degrees outside temp, with 80% humidity, at back roads speed (40-50 mph). I can guarantee that the same bike will ride and feel somewhat different in each case. Vibrations at different speeds, different accelerations, and decelerations will be evident. Maybe in case one, the vibrations at the foot pegs at 3

Old 07-23-2007, 10:24 AM
JamieCarr
Banned
Default RE: Harleys do vibrate. The Truth

I've come to rely on the vibrations I feel,...andI actually enjoy them,......lets me know everything is working as it should.

A Harley wouldn't be a Harley if it didn't have the vibe. I think I might retard the timing a little on mine,...to make it shake more.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Stanger
Road Master

Tim,
I could not have put it any better, Thanks.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:49 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

what can i say..love my bike and love the vibes.a thread going down a dead end street.
the real truth. get a gold wing if you want no vibes.nothing against a wing..just the real truth.

i am not being a smart a$$ here at all. but i would trade or sell it TimDynaBob

Old 07-23-2007, 10:59 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

the vibe is what it is all about.take or leave it.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:03 AM
TimDynaBob
Banned

Not being a smart a$$ either, but I "think" you just said what I said above in the abbreviated version.

No thread on this forum goes down a dead end street. Lots of dyna riders concerned/curious about vibes with their rides - I am one of them and just thought I'd share what I learned from research, without having to reply like you just did - "buy a gold wing."

Never in my original post did I say anything about not liking it.

No trade or sale in my future.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:09 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

all hogs have vibes tho tim .nature of the beast. just saying most hog riders love the vibes .

Old 07-23-2007, 12:06 PM
BurgerTx
Cruiser

Good write-up.

I kinda enjoy the vibes too.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:51 PM
kerberos
Road Captain

This post should be stickied!

wt.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:12 PM
rap87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wide glide vibes at idle, you know the bar shakes and all that if I take my hands off of it....but I think thats cool as hell and I thought it was supposed to do that lol. Motor bounces around and all that good stuff to, however, once I get moving there are no vibes what so ever, motor goes to a stand still and mirrors are perfect. I think your supposed to have some vibes and pulsing at idle, but not when moving. Only thing that irks me is the front end clunk, which apparently most dynas or wide glides have...other than that bikes been perfect.

Quick Reply: Harleys do vibrate. The Truth