Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Handlebars for 2007 FXDC Super Glide Custom

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 06:44 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What Handlebars for 2007 FXDC Super Glide Custom

My 2007 FXDC Super Glide has the stock mid-controls and the "mini-pullback" handlebars. I am 6 feet tall. Because of the seating position due to the stock mid-controls and stock handlebars, I sit hunched forward and after about 40 miles of riding, I start to get a pain at the base of my neck between my shoulder blades.

This week I am having forward controls put on my Super Glide. I know that this will be much more comfortable for my legs than having my knees scrunched up and pointing outward. I am also hoping that my seating position will be changed a bit so that I am not leaning forward so much.

I have sat on Dyna Softails with forward controls and "mini-apes" (stock from Harley) and the seating position feels wonderful.

Can anyone recommend what type of handlebars I should get to replace my current handlebars? Could you also tell me the thickness of the bars? Lastly, is there any alternative to replacing the bars, such as replacing only the risers, that can solve my problem? I like mini-apes, but of course there will be the large additional cost of replacing all of the control cables with longer (and metal braided) ones.

Thanks,
Richard...

Old 08-05-2007, 06:56 PM
DynaSport
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What Handlebars for 2007 FXDC Super Glide Custom

I'm not sure what you are referring to regarding Dyna Softails, but I have a Super Glide Sport and I got the exact same pain between my shoulder blades that you are talking about. I put the Wide Glide mini apes on and have never had it since. I have even done an iron butt ride where I did 1100 miles in one day without any pain in my back or neck. For my money the mini apes are as comfortable as anything I have ever had. No regrets at all.

As for as cost for replacing the cable, I did not have to replace my clutch cable. I did have to replace my front brake cable and I did go with braided SS. But I am not sure you will have to. I did because I have dual front brakes and the cable from the handlebar is short and goes to a splitter for the two rotors. I believe you only have one front brake and you may find you can reroute the cable and not replace it. Even if you do, I think it is money well spent.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:15 PM
drhooligan
Tourer

I'm in the same boat and will be getting an FXDC next month. I will be replacing the stock bars. The bars on the Street Bob feel perfect for me and look great. They are similar or possibly the same as those on the WGlide. Sit on a Street Bob and see how it feels with those bars as the bikes otherwise are about the same.

Risers are another option. Your choices there are endless. Check Phat Performance for a huge selection of risers. It sounds like you would be good with a riser that has some degree of pullback and the additional rise. I did risers with stock bars on another cruiser a while back and it made a world of difference. Drag Specialties has some very nice risers that are quite inexpensive. Hope this helps.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:41 PM
soarer 1
Advanced

I have a 2007 FXDC as well, and now have Bob/ Wideglide bars, am putting on forwards today, and have
the Sundowner seat.
Tried the risers with the standard bars, but didnt like. The standard bars feel allright when stationary, but didnt like when riding.
I am 5ft 11".
I didnt replace any cables, just bent the brake pipe a little.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:12 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks - when you say you now have "Bob/Wideglide Bars," do you mean you have the Harley-Davidson "mini-apes" that come with the Bob/Wideglide motorcycles?

Thanks,
Richard

Old 08-06-2007, 06:53 PM
max290
Advanced

I have th FXDC..Just put 4 1/2" pullback risers on mine which solved the shoulder ache and forwar lean problem. Now my lower back is killing me...Go figure!!!

Old 08-07-2007, 10:53 AM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put 4 1/2" pull back risers on mine as well. They bring the bars back a couple inches. I changed only the brake line, but the stock one would have worked.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:45 AM
soarer 1
Advanced

Yeah, the Harley mini apes.
I found the risers made me lay back too far, instead of more upright.
I also found with the standard bars, my hands kept slipping down the grips, so I had to hang on more.
A lot of this would be fixed with a screen I believe. The wind forces you back too much.
Got my forwards on, only a 6klm ride to check, so will do a longer one next week when off work.
A cross position between the mids, and the highway pegs I think.
Left my mid pegs on.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:47 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed Wild1 mini-apes on mine. 1 1/4" diameter, havy steel, excellent chrome plating. Almost a copy of the Wide Glide and Bob bars. But the hand grip section is at a slightly better angle.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:06 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put Ape bars on it. about 14"

Quick Reply: What Handlebars for 2007 FXDC Super Glide Custom