Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna model for touring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:16 PM
2013superglideseattle
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dyna model for touring?

Of all these different dyna models, which one is the most suitable for touring ride? Or most candidate for touring mods?

Old 04-03-2014, 10:23 PM
Dragon354
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really any Dyna can do touring with the right add ons, but out of the box I would say the Switchback. My WG has gone from Birmingham, AL to PC Beach, FL non stop several times.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:34 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

27 states, 6 provinces, two trips to Sturgis...
First on my FXDXT (finest all round tourer HD made) now on my FXDF; with mids and that fat front tire it handles and rides great. Spent a few days on FLH's, including a couple of 120R equipped Tour Glides...didn't do it for me; I found them huge and ponderous...
As for the Dyna with the bags and floorboards; grounded them out in less than 10 miles

Old 04-03-2014, 10:56 PM
Azgunner
Tourer

All depends on how you want to set-up the bike. Touring is not a problem on my Dyna LR.
I have detachable Boss Bags, Sundowner touring seat for the wife, T-Bag sitting on luggage rack behind the wife. I can put on the mid-pegs if I want to add another foot position for me & have a set of Pegrizers for the wife so she can move her feet around too.

We've done 2300 miles in 5 days going thru Utah & Az. & a 4 day trip thru Colorado with no problems.

With a Dyna or even a ST it is all about how the bike is set-up.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:35 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Much depends on if you want to buy it already set up or roll your own.
I really wanted to love the Switchback but I could tell looking at it the windscreen was too small, the bags looked smaller than I want and I still would have ended up fooling with the bars and seat.
For me I'd rather buy a FXD from 2006 and up and set it up myself but then I've had a lot of experience setting up my '01 FXD over the years (read, a lot of trial and error). For myself it would likely mean a Rifle windscreen in HD brackets cut to my width and height, Mustang Wide Vintage Solo seat with backrest, LeatherPro saddlebags, luggage rack and some type of rack bag, forward controls, bar risers, Ohlins shocks and Racetech fork internals. I've done up to 750 miles a day on my bike with that sort of setup with no major discomfort but its all about tailoring it to your personal fit.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:48 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

ditto, fxd with compliant suspension, mustang wide vintage, T-bag (not SFO style!) and everything is light, sweet & golden

Last edited by ynots; 04-04-2014 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:28 AM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

FXDXT-Best Harley I've owned for touring. I like it better than my Electra. Smooth as silk on the freeway,turn a few dials and she is great for carving the corners. I have a bad back and the natural seating position is good for me. The fairing windshield is adjustable. The bags seem to hold more than my Electra! Don't want bags? Take them off in seconds!
I did motor work to mine and she has more than adequate power IMO.If you look you can usually find one at a pretty reasonable cost. (I paid $6400.00 for mine two years ago with 22k on the clock.)
Just my :icon_twocents; Hope this helps.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:42 AM
slozomby
Road Master

touring mode on a fatbob.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:33 AM
doctoraustin
Cruiser

When it comes down to it I feel like its gonna be YOUR decision on what is the best. Ive told tons of people what I think would be the best, mod, bike, whatever they ask about and they always go with their gut! I have toured on a heritage softail, a super glide, my old sporty, and my bike I have now the switchback.

The heritage by far was the best ride. but I am a sucker for looks and it has no power compared to dynas and I would hate riding around town in a full dresser. My sporty was awesome, but all dressed up and taking it on a 3,000 mile round trip, it took its tole on me by the end of the day but was still rather comfortable. The super glide was nice, and would have been better with a windshield or fairing to take the edge off. The best all around feel for me for looks, ride, and speed is my switchback. I love the ride. Looks great and has a great platform for power. Then again I'm bias because I OWN it.

Let us know what you decide on! Curious to know! Happy hog hunting.

Last edited by doctoraustin; 04-04-2014 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:42 AM
MainelyScott
Intermediate

I've got a Switchback, it fits my needs great. Wife and I can ride 200 miles a day with the stock seat, longer if I'm solo. I did add mini footboards because the pegs weren't comfortable for her.

Quick Reply: Dyna model for touring?