Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

willie and max saddle bag

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 07:24 PM
dmoore35_1999
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default willie and max saddle bag

I've read a few people recommending W and M saddle bags for dynas. I have on 06 SB. I don't want to relocate the rear turn signals, and I don't want to install any brackets. I just want to throw them over the fender, strap em down and go. I will only be using them for overnight trips, but will be off the bike the majority of the time. Can someone help me out with what I'm looking for???? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:58 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: willie and max saddle bag

I have a set of Willie and Max bags on my 2004 and find them very well put together and sturdy. They're not leather, but so what, I didn't buy them for looks, they're practical and reasonably priced. I have the slant bags that may fit w/o relocating the turnsignals, but mine were already done so it wasn't a big deal for me.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:19 PM
efciv
Cruiser

I've had my compact slants for month, they are the right size for me.
Solo overnight would work if you did not need one of the bags for
a jacket. My Dickies lined jean jacket is a tight fit. I also have the matching
sissy bar bag. I thought all sissy bar bags had a pocket to slide over the pad, but this one ties on. Did not like that at first until I used some "shock cord" to hold it on. Now the bag does not slide down onto the rear fender.

[IMG]local://upfiles/27949/EFAF2DBB8962432382FB75FC95A9954A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-26-2007, 09:34 PM
madelf
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the compact slants, and they're prettyfunctional for thehandful ofthings I want to carry around regularly. Unfortunately they don't fit the lines of the bike well, so they aren't thatgreat for leaving in place as I had intended them(I'm lookingat a set from Fox Creek Leather that look better,but they're a lot more expensive).

I can get my rain gear & a snap-on face shield in there. A can of fix-a-flat, and a drink or two with no trouble. Some bungies. Maybe a spare shirt. But not much else. My leather jacket wouldn't have a prayer offitting.

They'd be just about useless as something to put on for a trip IMO, and I couldn't recommend them even for an overnighterif you're the type that likes a change of clothes everyday. For that I'd be more inclined torecommend a Motherwell's rack and a cheap duffle bag (along with the aforementioned bungies). That would get you a lot farther, storage-wise.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:44 PM
puddles13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the W&M compact slants and use them all the time. Have gone on 4 day trips with using just my saddle bags. *ok, did bungie my jacket on my back seat, one trip when it warmed up*

The guys I rode with were amazed at how much I got in my bags.....then again my daddy taught me a looooooooooong time ago-You have this much space-if you can fit it in there you can take it.

Long and short... LOVE them!

Old 08-26-2007, 10:05 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bought a set of real leather box top slants for my 02 FXDL from Leatherneck Jims (link below) and they have a fair amount of room. Did not want to go through the relocation hassle. Found some things out the hard way. You will need saddlebag guards to keep the bags out of the disk rotor and rear wheel and to keep throw-overs from flying up. You can't use this set up with a quick detach sissy bar rig. It's difficult to keep the bags even and from sliding one way or the other.
I may skip the sissy bar all together and go with a Motherwell fender rack and one of Jim's box top roll bags to keep the low slung look of the bike. Hope this helps.
Here are the bags:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...48-43_0003.jpg
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...48-26_0002.jpg

Here's the link to Leatherneck Jims - great people to do biz with. I have no affiliation, just one happy customer:
www.leatherneckjim.com

Old 08-27-2007, 06:44 AM
madelf
Tourer

ORIGINAL: itileman
You will need saddlebag guards to keep the bags out of the disk rotor and rear wheel and to keep throw-overs from flying up.
That may depend on the bags.

I don't have guards with my Willie & Max bags. I've got the yoke held in place by the seat screw and the back of the bags tied off to the tail-lights.They've been on for close to 1000 miles and no issues so far.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:23 AM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't need the guards with the bags on my sportster, but these bags sat right on the rotor without the guard. Ordered the roll bag & Motherwell. Sissy bar & side plates are up for sale, listed on this site this AM.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:56 AM
madelf
Tourer

ORIGINAL: itileman

I didn't need the guards with the bags on my sportster, but these bags sat right on the rotor without the guard. Ordered the roll bag & Motherwell. Sissy bar & side plates are up for sale, listed on this site this AM.
Yeah, must be a difference in the bags.
I think you'll be happy with the Motherwell. Very handy. I've even strapped my briefcase on it and gone to job meetings. Looks sharp too.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:18 PM
saltybull
Cruiser

I ordered some Willie & Max compact slants for my Super Glide Custom and found they were way too small to leave on the bike. I thought they looked like a change purse hanging off the side! I returned them to Willie & Max and found their customer service to be top notch! I reordered some STANDARD SLANTS and they fit perfect on my Dyna. I just tied them up and threw them over the fender. No need for stand offs or anything. The fit between the rear turn signal and spring hold them in place nice and tight! Here are some pics.

http://www.buywillieandmax.com/cat_standard_slant.cfm

[IMG]local://upfiles/33942/92006458C76B4A14AAECC58335561F13.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/33942/7218090989584F33937009201842959E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/33942/313CA0650BF04D25A13061F829DF4F32.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: willie and max saddle bag