Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SHUTS DOWN

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:40 PM
micg1313
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SHUTS DOWN

REALY COULD USE SOME HELP HERE. I HAVE A 1999 FXDG WITH S&S SUPER E CARB VH STRAIGHT SHOTS AND SE IGNITION.
WHILE RIDING ON SUNDAY, WENT 23 MILES AND BIKE SHUT OFF AGAIN . WOULD HAVE TO SHUT OFF BIKE RESTART AND WOULD RUN ABOUT 3 MILE INTERVALS AND SHUT OFF. FINALLY MADE IT TO DEALER SUNDAY EVENING WHERE IT IS NOW. HAVE BEEN TO DEALER THREE DAYS IN A ROW AND THEY CANT KEEP BIKE RUNNING EITHER. THEY HAVE TESTED WITH THERE NEW CAM SENSOR NEW CRANK POSITION SENSOR AND NEW IGNITION MODULE AND BIKE STILL WONT STAY RUNNING. THERE ARE NO CODES PRESENT ACCORDING TO THIS TECH.
THERE PASSING THIS ON TO A DIFFERENT TECH TOMORROW (MORE EXPERIENCE) = MORE $$$ . ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED... SATURDAY 11/03/ PICKED BIKE UP AT DEALER, SAID THE REPLACE BANK ANGLE SENSOR, THAT WAS THE PROBLEM. BIKE CAME OUT FROM SERVICE DEPT. RUNNING . PULLED AWAY FROM DEALER IN TRAFFIC AND BIKE DIED . GOT BIKE RUNNING AGAIN LONG ENOUGH TO PULL BACK INTO DEALER. SHUT OFF AGAIN WHILE WAITING FOR SERVICE WRITER TO COME OUT....WTF IS GOING ON????????

Old 10-24-2007, 07:56 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts
Default RE: SHUTS DOWN

has anybody checked the main circuit breaker? I read where some have deteriated over time to the extent where they get hot shutoff power, cool off, then operate till it heats up and the cycle continues. since your are carbed something appears to be shutting off all power , especially to the ignition.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:58 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the entire bike going dead, or just the ignition shutting down?
Is it getting fuel?
Not enough info from you to really help. Could be as simple as a clogged fuel filter. Could be a breather hole in the carb.
Hope they figure it out for you.

DougJ

Old 10-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Bluetoys
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first off, quit shouting. We can hear you just fine.
are you sure about this:
REPLACED BATTERY AND FOUND NEGATIVE CABLE ARCHING AGAINST FRAME
unless this is a typo, the negative is supposed to be connected to the frame, the positive is not. Is there any chance that you are correct about it and you have connected the posts wrong? I really doubt it , but that is what jumped out first. I don't think it would do anything besides let the smoke out of the wires. you should check the wires for wear all the way from the sensor to the module.
hope it gets cleared up soon for you.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:30 AM
GaryInSanDiego
Cruiser

This could happen if you connect the + cable first (as you should) and then bump the - terminal against the frame as you're installing the battery in the tray.

I can't say about 1999 models, but the negative cableof my 05 FXDLIsparks slightly whenI connect it, becauseI'm applying power to circuits like the speedo, tach, ECM, and TSSM that don't go through the ignition switch. They are connected directly to the battery through fuses. This assumes you are connecting the battery correctly (connect +cable first, then - cable). The +battery cable will definitely arc if you short out the batteryby grounding it to the frame. The battery could blow and spoil your day. Always make sure to install the red cover on the + terminal to prevent contacting the frame.

Gary

Old 10-25-2007, 06:55 AM
micg1313
Intermediate

Engine will not stay running . No fuel problems or filter problems. I will call dealer and suggest looking at circuit breaker.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:17 PM
micg1313
Intermediate

thanks i will ask the service dept if they checked that.