Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach signal on 2006 Dynas???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 12:42 AM
kpreese
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach signal on 2006 Dynas???

I have a 2006 FXBDI. I am installing an HD mini tach but I am not sure where to pick up a suitable tach signal. The 2006 Dyna service manual shows a "Data Link" or "Data Bus" wire connected to the speedo and the tach that is included on some Dynas. But this sounds like a serial data bus that some new fangled "smart" tach can interpret what is meaningful to it and pass the data on down the pipe.

Has anyone installed the HD mini tach or any aftermarket tach on your 2006 Dyna? If so, where did you pick up a signal suitable for a tach?

Thanks!!!

Incidentally . . . I bought an incredible tach mount made by Alloy Arts that mounts on the stem nut. I'd been looking at tach mounts for months . . even before I got the Street Bob and could not find what I wanted. I finally googled "stem nut tach mount" or similar and found this great product. I'll do a review and post pictures when it is installed.

Old 12-16-2005, 01:44 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tach signal on 2006 Dynas???

Go here https://www.hdforums.com/m_191721/tm.htm and read the last post.

Talk to DGlide04

Old 12-16-2005, 01:54 AM
kpreese
Road Captain

Thanks bobcowan. I stumbled on that thread while doing a search but I gave up long before getting to the bottom because I just thought it was a bad search match. I thought for SURE this was a 2006 change since I'd not run across any mention of it after a ton of googling. Anyway, I will email DGlide04.

Thanks again!!!

Old 12-16-2005, 10:58 AM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a nice looking mount, that's exactly what I've been looking for!!! If you can figure out how to mount it and run the wires please let me know in detail because I want to do the same thing.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:47 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts

You'll find 4 tach hook up posts in this DIY forum telling you where to hook it up ... https://www.hdforums.com/forumid_243/tt.htm

Old 12-16-2005, 03:00 PM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: TCSTD

You'll find 4 tach hook up posts in this DIY forum telling you where to hook it up ... https://www.hdforums.com/forumid_243/tt.htm
I found the 4th post where it tries to explain it for the serial bus bikes, but it makes no sense to me. I'm not an electrician and unless I have step be step instructions I get easily confused when it come to wiring. Plus I'd really like to not have to splice anything if I can get a harness instead.

Old 12-16-2005, 03:26 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts

Scott

It's really not hard at all, on the back of the speedo, you'll see the plug where it attaches to the speedo. That is where the small plug has to be removed to insert the wire for the tach. The parts numbers for the terminal that you must get is in the post that you get from the dealer and you'll see on the plug how it opens up to remove the dummy plug where the new wire inserts into. Very simple operation ,really not as hard as it sounds.

Old 12-16-2005, 05:06 PM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain

I suppose then if I purchase all my parts (mounting bracket, tach, and the two items you mention in the POST) then I'll have everything I need? I really hate messing with wiring that's why I'm real leary about this. I guess I just don't understand how it all hooks up...but then I don't have a tach in front of me to see what wires it has coming out of it. Plus the post seems to leave out some steps along the way because it never mentions the tach in there once and what it hooks up to.

I think I'm destined to never have a tach.

...and you're right it's not as hard as it sounds...providing you have a clue what you're doing in the first place!!

Old 12-16-2005, 06:20 PM
kpreese
Road Captain

Thanks for that extra effort to provide this information TCSTD.

What I haven't been able to determine yet is if this 3rd socket on the speedo connector will provide the signal on 2006 Dynas.

Fortunately, the mini tach kit included a short piece of wire already crimped into the correct contact designed for that speedo connector. So I got that lead installed and hooked it temporarily to the tach yellow wire. I hooked the tach up to power, it lit up quite nicely, cranked up the bike and the needle just sits there.

So either:
1. bad tach
2. wire loose inside the tach housing
3. contact not installed correctly in the speedo connector
4. The 2006 bikes will not produce a signal at the speedo

I'll do my best to troubleshoot 2,3,4 and then I'll share what I find out.

PowerCobra98, when I get this working, there will be detailed instructions and pictures. You'll be able to handle this no sweat.

Old 12-16-2005, 07:31 PM
kpreese
Road Captain

I just did some tests. With the tach powered up, I simply tapped the signal wire on the battery positive terminal. I could get a reading on the tach that raised and lowered depending on how rapidly I tapped the wire. I was under the impression the tach signal is a 12VDC pulsed signal and my test seemed to rule out #1 and #2 as the culprits.

With my meter measuring frequency, I was getting about 100Hz at idle on that speedo pin #3 (my test lead). My meter registered a proportional number as I gave it throttle. So it seems there IS some kind of signal even on the newest speedos.

So #3 is not the problem and neither is #4.

New list:
1. speedo generated signal not compatible with the mini tach
2. I need different power and ground sources

For convenience, I was literally using the positive and negative terminals on the battery for power. I understand these mini tachs are finicky about the ground? Or perhaps the tach is comparing voltages at the signal wire and power wire and perhaps there is too much of a drop?

I guess I just hate to splice in permanent connections in the dash if I will end up having to wire to the coils or some other place. I just want a successful test before committing to any permanent wiring.

Quick Reply: Tach signal on 2006 Dynas???