Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 inch risers on FXD....

Old 10-27-2007, 12:31 PM
dynadiver
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 inch risers on FXD....

Well, I got a deal on some drag bars and 6"risers from a buddy of mine. Went home and put them on the bike last night. I got just enough wiring from the frame for the speedo to mount up but it just seemed to tight so I took the whole setup back off the bike. Anyone else use a setup like this? Should just go to a shorter, likea 4" or so, riser instead?

Old 10-27-2007, 01:59 PM
ShoreRider
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: 6 inch risers on FXD....

I did 4.5" with a 1.5" pullback on my '07 FXDC and had no cable issues whatsoever. I did reroute the clutch cable to come out on the opposite side of the handlebar to ensure there would be no binding. The only other thing I did was to put a 1" spacer (used and aluminum bushing from my local hardware store) in between the triple tree and brake cable bracket. Lock to lock, no binding on anything. I was more than happy and had I gone to any higher riser, replacement cables would have been necessary

Old 10-27-2007, 02:17 PM
dynadiver
Cruiser

Doesnt your FXDC have a tank mounted speedo?

Old 10-27-2007, 02:21 PM
ShoreRider
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup...sure does. Had no clearance issues whatsoever lock to lock. Got the riser kit (risers, clamp and chrome bolts) from JP Cycles for less than $70.00

Old 10-27-2007, 03:20 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dynadiver

Well, I got a deal on some drag bars and 6"risers from a buddy of mine. Went home and put them on the bike last night. I got just enough wiring from the frame for the speedo to mount up but it just seemed to tight so I took the whole setup back off the bike. Anyone else use a setup like this? Should just go to a shorter, likea 4" or so, riser instead?
Please go here: https://www.hdforums.com/m_2381590/tm.htm

I went with HD 4" pullback risers, and got away with not extending the wiring for 2 years, but read /follow the link and read my post.

You will be ahead of the game by taking the few hours (if you are slow like me), some 18 gauge wire, heat shrink, etc and soldering iron, to extend the speedo harness, now. NUFF SAID[sm=oopssign.gif]

I don't think you can stretch them 6" safely anyway.

Good luck

DougJ

Old 10-27-2007, 03:45 PM
dynadiver
Cruiser

Yup, I think that about answers it bro. Thanks! Guess i better get some shorter risers because there is no way i am going to try to lengthen ALL those wires!!

Old 10-27-2007, 04:38 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dynadiver

Yup, I think that about answers it bro. Thanks! Guess i better get some shorter risers because there is no way i am going to try to lengthen ALL those wires!!
It is NOT difficult, just a little time consuming. You just decide on the length (I think there are 18 wires) cut your new wire to length, make a bunch of wires the same length and go to it.
If you don't like soldering and heat shrink, you can butt splice them together.
I think HD may offer a cableextension, but not for sure.

Just remember your stock risers are alredy 1 1/2 or 2 " already so you are just adding the additional of the riser heigth.

Best to ya

DougJ