Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer Install on Street Bob

Old 10-28-2007, 01:43 PM
bolverk
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springer Install on Street Bob

I was just wondering if anyone has done this yet? Any tips? I don't have much experience with springers...so can anyone let me know how they ride or if it's different as to handling, etc...Thanks...

I'm thinking of doing a Big Bear Choppers Merc Springer with somesort of mild rake on my 06 Street Bob.

I'm thinking 45-degree with the springer will give me the right amount of trail in the front steering axis to maintain a desent ride.

Need something to do this winter when I'm not riding....lol

Old 10-28-2007, 02:15 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Springer Install on Street Bob

man - you gotta do a search - or just scroll back a page or 2 - some nice posts - just from last week, as well as some older ones. 3 or 4 total in the forums here - and the guys that have done it provide tons of good pics and detail

Old 10-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Cynic
Road Captain

Springers have their place, but they don't like the really rough stuff as much as a tele, even the new H-D ones. When I see one on a modern chassis I can't help thinking Iron Horse reader where maybe something was taken too literally. My analogy would be like wooden wheels on a muscle car. In the end, it's your dime tho...

Old 10-28-2007, 07:13 PM
gorilla
Cruiser

If you are wanting 45 degrees you'll have to rake the neck or it'll ride aweful. The HD website lists a neck rake of 29 degrees with a 4.5" trail. You can't kick out that far in the springer itself. Unless I'm misreading something...

Old 10-28-2007, 08:45 PM
bolverk
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Cynic

Springers have their place, but they don't like the really rough stuff as much as a tele, even the new H-D ones. When I see one on a modern chassis I can't help thinking Iron Horse reader where maybe something was taken too literally. My analogy would be like wooden wheels on a muscle car. In the end, it's your dime tho...
So other than looking really cool the springer is an outdated technology...I was wondering about that....I guess I really need to meet up with someone who has aspringer andsee how it rides...I'm thinking the springer probably dosn't have the dampening thatyou would get with themodern forks...

Thanks for the feedback....

Old 10-28-2007, 08:52 PM
bolverk
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: gorilla

If you are wanting 45 degrees you'll have to rake the neck or it'll ride aweful. The HD website lists a neck rake of 29 degrees with a 4.5" trail. You can't kick out that far in the springer itself. Unless I'm misreading something...
What got me thinking about the springer was the current issue of Hot Bike and the article about the Insta-Chop which just bolts into place where the triple tree neck stem used to reside...which gives you rake without haveing to cut and weld the frame.

How do you like the ride of the springer? I like the look, but I don't want to give up too much performance or ride quality...I guess the real issue is I need to get a good cold weather outfit so I can just keep riding instead of sitting around thinking up all the things I can do to the bike this winter...lol...

Thanks for the reply

Old 10-29-2007, 07:42 AM
cjhumphrey
Cruiser

I would call the guys at DNA products and give them your specs. They'll tell you what you can use with out creating atrail problem. As for the ride, the springers are not as forgiving as stock forks but I can't say that they are terrible either. I just spent about a week in Daytona and never had a minute where I wished I hadn't swapped.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:51 AM
gorilla
Cruiser

I would add that there is less nose dive and less suspension travel with a springer. It's a trade off. In some ways it's better, in others it's not as good. But it's definately not bad.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:13 PM
bolverk
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: gorilla

I would add that there is less nose dive and less suspension travel with a springer. It's a trade off. In some ways it's better, in others it's not as good. But it's definately not bad.
I'm thinking with less nose dive and maybe a stiffer front end...it would have to be an improvement over what I have now with the dyna...I really don't like the stock dyna front end...it just feels funny...I don't know if it's my weight or what.

ORIGINAL: Cynic

My analogy would be like wooden wheels on a muscle car. In the end, it's your dime tho...
Having never riden a bike with a springer front end...I was a little concerned especially with Cynic's statement....

Old 10-29-2007, 02:33 PM
gorilla
Cruiser

I agree that it's an improvement, but it's a personal preference issue. A no one can deny it looks cool!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Springer Install on Street Bob