Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob - Brakes Upgrade Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 04:29 PM
vladt
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Street Bob - Brakes Upgrade Anyone?

Howdy All,

Finally picked up my 2008 SB and have been running it in over the last few days. Thanks everyone for helping me in selecting this awesome bike!
However, after riding sports bikes for many years, the brakes on SB absolutely suck! Don't get me wrong, they certainly stop you, especially if you are travelling at a reasonable velocity. Should you try stopping quickly from 100+ km/hr, the SB brakes are barely adequate.

I did a quick forum search and found that some of you guys have been looking at fitting Brembo or PM calipers/rotors on your Dyna.
Any updates so far? Has anyone actually done it and happy with the results?
Please let me know as I seriously want some better braking power!

Cheers all.

Vlad

Old 11-25-2007, 04:51 PM
GentlemanBiker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Street Bob - Brakes Upgrade Anyone?

Funny thing...you'll probably find 100s of posts about building more torque and horsepower for every one you'll find about improving the brakes. A lot of people post about riding at 100+ regularly, which seems a bit...optimistic...with the stock brake setup.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:01 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

ORIGINAL: GentlemanBiker

Funny thing...you'll probably find 100s of posts about building more torque and horsepower for every one you'll find about improving the brakes. A lot of people post about riding at 100+ regularly, which seems a bit...optimistic...with the stock brake setup.
The stock brakes will stop you just fine. However I don't plan on using OEM brake pads when I replace them. They are too noisey and dirty.

DougJ

Old 11-25-2007, 05:07 PM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm going with the Lyndall's when I have to change my pads.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:40 PM
vladt
Cruiser

The stock brakes will stop you eventually, but when it comes to riding bikes, I want to know that I've done my outmost to stop in a shortest distance possible in the event of an emergency. I am a little bemused that so many guys spend big dollars on the looks and hardly anyone here done a major brake upgrade on SB. Nothing wrong with former, but the later is certainly more important IMHO.

Cheers
Vlad

Old 11-25-2007, 05:44 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

ORIGINAL: hk_shooter

I'm going with the Lyndall's when I have to change my pads.
Ditto

DougJ

Old 11-25-2007, 05:55 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

ORIGINAL: vladt

The stock brakes will stop you eventually, but when it comes to riding bikes, I want to know that I've done my outmost to stop in a shortest distance possible in the event of an emergency. I am a little bemused that so many guys spend big dollars on the looks and hardly anyone here done a major brake upgrade on SB. Nothing wrong with former, but the later is certainly more important IMHO.

Cheers
Vlad
Sorry, I did don't mean to argue................ and you are correct. Given what the Dynas are capable of in the corners, etc. it is reasonable to expect, maybe HD would put dual disk on the front. Maybe offer an upgrade as an option.

I don't think the brakes would do most of us older farts much good over 100 mph, cause of the reaction time (speaking for myself)

DougJ

Old 11-25-2007, 06:00 PM
vladt
Cruiser

No probs DougJ. I hear you.
While I consider my reaction time to be average (I am not that old yet...) the brake upgrade should (IMHO) be on your priority list if your reaction timesare slower. Simply put, since you have less time to stop, your stopping power should be increased!

I am going to actively research the idea of either upgraded single rotor or dual rotor over the next few weeks and report back with the results.

Cheers
Vlad

Old 11-25-2007, 06:01 PM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: DougsDyna

I don't think the brakes would do most of us older farts much good over 100 mph, cause of the reaction time (speaking for myself)

DougJ
I can sort of relate to that but, I can't remember the last time I went 100 mph.
You're right, vlad. No since in going if you can't stop.
I see ABS becoming the norm, heck I wish it was available for Dyna's. "We have the technology...

Old 11-25-2007, 06:40 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi Guys,

he is talking 100 KPH by the way not MPH

Vladt is an Aussie like me.

Quick Reply: Street Bob - Brakes Upgrade Anyone?