Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* HOW TO * under fifty bux *

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 03:23 PM
STRES
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

amazing collection of ideas, even though this is all under 50$ if i do it all it will add up way to quick haha keep the ideas coming......

Old 01-04-2015, 12:58 PM
jimtim
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bottle opener, find one you like, put it where you want. Invite your buds to the garage, mod the bike and crack cold ones. I found mine on amazon and put it my ECM cover on my street bob
Attachment 412316

Last edited by soldierbot; 04-02-2021 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:39 PM
VelocityStreetGlide
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just found my first mod on the new to me SG.

Thanks for the easy to follow instructions.

Db

Old 04-20-2015, 02:20 PM
Chriscruiser
Novice

Nice handgrips. They suit your bike!

Old 04-21-2015, 08:17 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jimtim
A bottle opener, find one you like, put it where you want. Invite your buds to the garage, mod the bike and crack cold ones. I found mine on amazon and put it my ECM cover on my street bob
Attachment 412316
Now you won't have to let go of the throttle anymore...

Old 04-28-2015, 11:03 PM
Rambling Cowboy
Novice

With so many great ideas its tough to decide where to begin.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:08 AM
Pebble
Novice
Default Does this still work?

Does this still work and will it work with dashcommand?? or are there any other apps it works with?

Originally Posted by JHL-ShinySideUp
How to build a cable to connect your Harley to an OBDII Bluetooth Diagnostic Scanner.Prototype cost: $56.00. With the right cable: $44.00 plus my phone.

Use this with HarleyDroid, available at the Amazon AppStore/GooglePlay.
I've no idea if there's anything like it for the iPhone.

Lessons learned:
  • Buy wire and the OBD connector parts from www.obd2cables.com. Hacking up a perfectly good cable just to "make sure I got the right end" was a waste. Buying the harley end (Deutsch) connectors from the dealer isn't bad.
  • Make the pigtail longer. Much longer - it's easy enough to coil up excess, but it's danged difficult to stretch an extra inch out of it once it's soldered. Figure out the right length before you cut it off.
  • Don't be afraid to ask questions. Editbrain gave me the crucial info I was missing to make it work on my 2011 FXDWG.
Buy these parts:
J1962F to open end 3' cable from obd2cables.com, ($9.95) instead of the 1-male to 2-female version I bought for $22.

I cheated and bought a one-male into two-female splitter, so if I screwed up I'd have another cable connector handy.

Cut the end off the cable, then strip the wire insulation off and separate the wires inside.

The colors in my cable didn't match the colors on the "standard" pinout, so I had to figure out which wire went to which pin.

You want pins 2, 4 and 5, and 16. See https://github.com/stelian42/HarleyDroid/wiki/HarleyDroid-cable for details.
Harley data port 16 pin J1979 connector
(ELM327)
------------------------------------------------
(x) 1 Not Used
2 ------------- ground ------- 4 and 5 (ground)
3 ------------- data ---------- 2 (J1850+)
4 ------------- +12V ---------- 16 (+12V)

Put your pins on the cables. I soldered mine, in addition to crimping, just because I'm **** that way.

Insert the pins through the soft-rubber seal, making certain that the right wire goes through the right hole. (Note the numbers) Push the pin in (using the wire) until it clicks, and the other end should be flush with the end of the connector.

Push the wedge connector into the hole in the end of the connector until it clicks into place.

The finished cable.

The port it needs to connect to is under the electronics cover on the left side of the bike, above the fuses but below the ECM (big) plug.

Like I said, use a longer cable, and dry-fit it before you cut. Mine is useless except for watching the tach spin up as I rev it on the stand. A longer pigtail, and you can route the cable through the electronics box and ziptie the ELM357 under the seat, in all the spare free space that's there.

The HarleyDroid site also provides a schematic and drawing for building an interface with a 9v battery backup, in case you want to start the log before you turn the power/ignition switch on.

I don't have the mount yet, but I'm thinking about mounting my Samsung Galaxy Nexus on the handlebars with a Ram mount. that will give me access to GPS, tunes, and a Tach/temp gauge ... and a camera, if I want video of the road going by. Useless around town, but knd of cool to have on the runs.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:29 PM
Chapp
6th Gear

Wow so many cool mods... I'll be busy for awhile!

Old 06-17-2015, 08:17 PM
jimtim
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought I'd share my plate and taillight. Both have been in place for a couple thousand miles.

All the hardware used if off the bike- free
Spray paint- I'm sure most of us have some

Hopefully I dont mess up the pictures, so here goes.

The plate bracket is the factory one, with the second half of the plate support taken off and painted black.

Mounted on the forward belt guard mounting tab, also reusing the bolt, washes and nut
Attachment 434277

Close up
Attachment 434278

Ran the wiring through the belt and up up the seat, ziptied it a wire running out of the ECM cover
Attachment 434284

As for the taillight, I only run that one light. Painted the housing and mounted it on the aft belt guard bracket. For the bolt I used a bolt from the front fender (i don't run the front fender) and cut it down to size and threw on a flat and lock washer i had laying around. Ran the wire down the swing arm and up along with the plate light wiring.
Attachment 434285

And the final product
Attachment 434286

Hope y'al enjoyed, and that the pics work

Old 07-11-2015, 03:09 AM
Diver4
Novice
Default Luggage Rack Flag Holder

5 or so years ago I purchased a luggage rack mounted 3 small (6x9) flag holder from Mountain Motorcycles and it worked great but I wanted one that held 5 flags.

I went back to Mountain Motorcycles to see if they could make me one but there is a message on the website that it is closed due an illness of the owner (hope everything is ok).

I could not find anywhere to buy a similar multiple flag holder that mounted to the luggage rack and did not want to pay $50 to $70 each to get individual ones so I set about to make my own.

Here is the finished product, unfortunately I did not find this thread until after it had been built so did not take pictures during the build.

Here is how I built it:

1. I got some flat and round steel stock from Lowes and cut it to the lengths I wanted. 5 poles and a top and bottom flat stock part.
2. Drilled holes on the edge of the top flat stock for the rod/poles to fit in. Also drilled the 2 holes in the top and bottom flat stock for mounting to the luggage rack.
3. Threaded the top of the round rod for the top nut (important to do this before welding them to the flat stock)
4. Welded the rods to the flat stock at 90 degrees.
5. Smoothed out the welds, primed and epoxy painted the holder (if the paint does not hold up will strip it and have it chromed or powder coated)
6. Slide the flags on the poles using a zip tie at the bottom of each flag to prevent it from sliding all the way down the pole.
7. Put a rubber grommet and acorn nut at the top of the pole (the grommet or a flat washer is needed to prevent the flag from sliding over the acorn nut and blowing away, don't ask me how I know this)
8. Applied some foam rubber weather stripping to the flat stock to prevent scratching the chrome on the luggage rack and it is ready to mount.

Total Cost:

Flat and round stock from Lowes $10
Acorn Nuts $5
Rubber grommets $3
Zip ties, paint, bolts and weather stripping I had laying around.

For under $20 I now have the 5 flag holder that I wanted and it is easy to put on and take off as needed.

Quick Reply: * HOW TO * under fifty bux *