Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* HOW TO * under fifty bux *

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 12:26 AM
Gee
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Chrome ABS Heat Shield From a Stock Cow Bell Horn Cover

On the FLD the abs unit is mounted to the frame below the battery box. On mine I have to loosen the abs bracket in order to get the transmission dipstick out. The piece of plastic they have labeled as the heat shield looks more like an after thought. I don't know what other Dynas have the same setup but this might work for those also. I couldn't find an aftermarket cover for it or anyone locally that could wrap or does the spray on chrome. Last weekend I grabbed one of the stock horn covers I had laying around and started hacking away and here's what I ended up with. Didn't cost me anything since I had a couple of them laying around. There are a lot of members that have replaced the stock cover with something else. Enough rambling and onto the meat.

There's a more detailed thread about it here:
http://switchbackowners.proboards.co...crollTo=103248

On the FLD it mounts to the muffler support bracket upper bolt just below the ABS unit. Doesn't vibrate at all which was a real surprise to me.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:25 AM
mud
muderator
Received 8,783 Likes on 2,066 Posts

fine job Gee.

fits in perfect with the rest of your machine.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:32 AM
Gee
Tourer

Thanks Mud. I thought the same thing. It almost fits it like that's what it was made for with the back side open and sits pretty flush with the battery box cover. I still see a horn cover when I look at it most of the time but it does blend in well. I think most Harley owners would recognize it but Joe Public probably wouldn't.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:42 PM
jmay86
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HemiOrange
I wanted to mount a cig lighter in an inconspicuous spot both for quickly plugging in my Battery Tender and for whatever else I wanted to use it for. So I bought a lighter socket at the auto parts store. I already had the rubber expansion insert from a boat project that I used to secure the mount in the upper left corner into an existing frame hole. I cut the mount out of about .120" plate.

Next I mounted it, but discovered the seat bumper needed some clearance, so I made a cut-out for it.

Here it is mounted and hidden.

subbed for future use

Old 10-25-2015, 08:53 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Gee
Thanks Mud. I thought the same thing. It almost fits it like that's what it was made for with the back side open and sits pretty flush with the battery box cover. I still see a horn cover when I look at it most of the time but it does blend in well. I think most Harley owners would recognize it but Joe Public probably wouldn't.
I would be willing to bet that most Harley owners would not see a cowbell! Blends in real well. I dig it!

Old 10-25-2015, 02:14 PM
Gee
Tourer

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
I would be willing to bet that most Harley owners would not see a cowbell! Blends in real well. I dig it!
Thank you.

Just wanted to add that bending the tabs on the bell trying to find the best way to mount it. Loosened up the welded joint on mine. You may not have the problem if you know the bend and just bend it once. I took some Sticky Putty and reinforced that lower tab. I found the Sticky Putty in a thrift store like 5 years ago and have used in on a lot of items over the years. I think JB Weld has a similar product. Cut a small piece and knead it together then place it on the object and shape it. The tab feels rock solid now.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:57 AM
kmiller1021
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are lots of great ideas in here...now where do I start?

Old 11-05-2015, 11:11 AM
obonaven
Road Master

Originally Posted by kmiller1021
There are lots of great ideas in here...now where do I start?
Page #1

Old 11-27-2015, 05:30 PM
blackbear44
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blacked out the top of my chrome fork tubes for 10 bucks with 3m gloss black tape

Old 01-05-2016, 09:38 AM
IrishRebel
Advanced

Great posts everyone, found some great ideas to try.
Just recently did the mirror flip and works great.
Also did a custom belt guard bye drilling various sized hole in random locations.
Sry no pics yet.
Cheers

Quick Reply: * HOW TO * under fifty bux *