Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screaming eagle mufflers on fat bob

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 06:50 AM
wiggy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screaming eagle mufflers on fat bob

Had my fat bob 3 weeks now & its nearly due its first service.

Thsi is my first harley & to me it doesnt sound right with the stock exhaust set up.
Thinking of changing the mufflers for screaming eagle ones.

Been told they are bolt`n`go - no need for remapping, so the question is what do they really sound like, are they much louder than stock and they worth the money ?

Old 12-05-2007, 07:10 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Screaming eagle mufflers on fat bob

ORIGINAL: wiggy

Thsi is my first harley & to me it doesnt sound right with the stock exhaust set up.

Been told they are bolt`n`go - no need for remapping, so the question is what do they really sound like, are they much louder than stock and they worth the money ?
They don't sound much louder than stock. I've had 3 friends over the past year put them on 07 bikes. 2 of them had them replaced within the first month and other didn't but is not happy with them. You can get much better sounding bolt on exhaust mufflers (slipons) for less money and you can install them yourself. The decision is yours as to whether or not you want to run them that way with the bike stock or go ahead and add a stage 1 a/c and get it tuned or add a fuel manager. I ran mine with SE II slipons (older SE's that were louder but are no longer made)with no other mods for almost a year but when I changed to V&H's slipons, went ahead and added the a/c and fuelpak to make sure I am not running too lean. You'll get many that will tell you that you'll be okay running them as-is, and you may very well be and you'll get others telling you that your bike was lean to begin with (and it is) and running aftermarket exhaust typically makes it leaner and you should complete the stage 1.

If you are trying to save money and get better sound, bolt on some slipons that you like, put some miles on the bike, and check the spark plugs. If they have a white residue on them, you are running too lean. If they have a very dark residue, you are running too rich (not much chance of that but possible I guess). What you are looking for is a light to medium brown color indicating you are running pretty well. If too lean or too rich, you need something to correct it - either a tuning/download or a fuel manager.

There are a lot of slipons out there and it seems everyone has their favorite. Depends on the sound level you are going for. Some popular options are Cycle Shack, Rush, Vance and Hines, Rinehart, and others. Some of those companies have sound/video clips on their websites where you can get an idea of the sound. They have many different looks as well for you to consider.

Good luck.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:37 AM
storm8732
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You can also do a search on this board. I did a short post on what I did to mine to improve the sound. I pulled off the slip on, removed the fiberglass packing, punched out the center plug in the baffle and re installed....the sound is still not as loud as some aftermarket options, but it is 100% better than it was. I am not sure our exhaust notes will ever be as loud as other dynas unless you change the complete system since we have a 2-1-2 with a catalytic converter which will absorb some sound. I went for the cheap option for now. I will wait until more companies come out with options designed for our bike as the monting is different for our mufflers as compared to other dynas. Be patient, there will be lots of options soon I am sure.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:11 AM
steel insane
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

They don't sound much louder than stock. I've had 3 friends over the past year put them on 07 bikes. 2 of them had them replaced within the first month and other didn't but is not happy with them. You can get much better sounding bolt on exhaust mufflers (slipons) for less money and you can install them yourself. The decision is yours as to whether or not you want to run them that way with the bike stock or go ahead and add a stage 1 a/c and get it tuned or add a fuel manager. I ran mine with SE II slipons (older SE's that were louder but are no longer made)with no other mods for almost a year but when I changed to V&H's slipons, went ahead and added the a/c and fuelpak to make sure I am not running too lean. You'll get many that will tell you that you'll be okay running them as-is, and you may very well be and you'll get others telling you that your bike was lean to begin with (and it is) and running aftermarket exhaust typically makes it leaner and you should complete the stage 1.

If you are trying to save money and get better sound, bolt on some slipons that you like, put some miles on the bike, and check the spark plugs. If they have a white residue on them, you are running too lean. If they have a very dark residue, you are running too rich (not much chance of that but possible I guess). What you are looking for is a light to medium brown color indicating you are running pretty well. If too lean or too rich, you need something to correct it - either a tuning/download or a fuel manager.

There are a lot of slipons out there and it seems everyone has their favorite. Depends on the sound level you are going for. Some popular options are Cycle Shack, Rush, Vance and Hines, Rinehart, and others. Some of those companies have sound/video clips on their websites where you can get an idea of the sound. They have many different looks as well for you to consider.

Good luck.
But will these slip ons work with the 2-1-2 system on the new bikes?

Old 12-05-2007, 08:11 AM
steel insane
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

Good luck.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:20 AM
storm8732
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a screamin eagle slip on designed specifically for the Fat Bob. Rush claims to have a slip-on. I am not sure about the other companies.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:39 AM
SurfGuitar
Cruiser

Definitely consider the Rush slip-ons. If you get the 1.75" baffles and retain the stock air cleaner, you won't have to modify the ECM setting. Some say that you can go to the 2" baffles without a remap as long as you leave the stock air cleaner in place.

I have the "new" Screaming Eagle slip-ons on my Street Bob, and even after removing the fiberglass packing, they arestill way quieter that I would like...and I don't want a really loud bike.With the packing, they sounded almost as bad as my stock mufflers did.

Storm's packing removal trick does deepen the sound, and it's free. But if you are looking for a true "Harley sound", you'll need some aftermarket mufflers.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do go with the aftermarket Slip On/s the new cycle shack slip on's are Identical to the old SEII's you can even interchange the Baffles.. Also remember that when checking the plugs shut it down at the RPM you want to check ( Throttle Chop ) or you'll get a reading at just Idle which will always be on the lean side... Best to find a Indy with a Analizer and check all the way through the range...That's Cheap... The Stage one down load is somewhat useless...Twin Cam's are Expensive and it takes quite a few miles to come back and bite you in the ****... EPA Sucks..

Old 12-05-2007, 12:57 PM
wiggy
Intermediate

Thanks for the input guys.

Think Ill get it serviced & then try removing the packing from the stock system & see what thats like.

Probably wait until next year to see what else comes out.
U guys have just saved me spending the equivalent of about 700 bucks ( thats about what these slipons cost in the uk)

Old 12-05-2007, 02:02 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the input guys.

Think Ill get it serviced & then try removing the packing from the stock system & see what thats like.

Probably wait until next year to see what else comes out.
U guys have just saved me spending the equivalent of about 700 bucks ( thats about what these slipons cost in the uk)

Yep, good decision. I don't know exactly what is available for the fatbob yet but no use wasting money on something just to get by if you won't be happy with it. For less than $700, you can buy everything you need online, have it shipped to you, and install it yourself and have a complete, good sounding, stage 1 upgrade. You'll probably just need to wait for the aftermarket companies to catch up with the bob. It shouldn't take long. I bought my 07 new in Nov of last year and by the first of this year, there were plenty of aftermarket parts to fit.

Quick Reply: Screaming eagle mufflers on fat bob