Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to rejet a carb

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 03:54 PM
vmimarine
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to rejet a carb

How would I go about doing a rejet for my carb? Which brand should I get? Is it something I can do myself? I have an 05 FXDC and its running lean. I wont be getting a new air cleaner or pipes.

Dupe Post.. https://www.hdforums.com/m_212712/mp.../tm.htm#212712

[sm=lockeddance.gif]

Old 12-30-2005, 05:07 PM
Renegade
Tourer
Default RE: how to rejet a carb

CITADEL!

If you are not replacing the exhaust or a/c then you should be able to adjust your carb w/o re-jetting. If you must re-jet you can pick up larger jets at an auto parts store or you can get an entire jet kit from a company like Vance and Hines. Should not be necessary unless you change something. Check out the forums that explain a lot of maintenance on carb related issues. Welcome to the forum. There are several Marines around here so you will fit in well.

Old 12-30-2005, 05:45 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Not trying to be funny but why do you think it is too lean? If you haven't changed the pipes or air cleaner it should be good. When it is cold outside, I run my enricher about 1/4" out till it is fully warmed up and I do just fine on the stock jet and I have the air cleaner and baffles are removed. I did go up one size on the pilot jet because of the lean cough at light acceleration, perhaps that is your problen???? ---jack

Old 12-31-2005, 01:11 PM
vmimarine
4th Gear

Yeah well I posted previous problems in here and talked to several people and everyone keeps saying that Im running lean. It does cough at light acceleration but it also stumbles when Im cruising at any speed.

Old 12-31-2005, 01:13 PM
vmimarine
4th Gear

I take it that you went, or go to, the Citadel? Good school. I dont know as much about it as I should though. You're right I've had a few people give me responses with something about the Marines in it.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:46 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you pulled the plugs and checked them for color? Pure white is too lean, grey white to light cocoa is good, black is too rich. When you get to a constant speed and get the skip, without changing throttle, reach down and pull out the enricher about half way and see if the skip goes away. Mine does this occasionally in cold weather but in warmer weather it is fine. The colder it is, the leaner the mixture will be and can cause it to be too lean but by going up one pilot jet size, you can richen it a bit through most of the rpm range but not when totally on the main. A main jet increase will make the engine run richer throughout the range (except idle) and can be too rich at freeway speeds and drop your gas mileage significantly. I went from a 42 pilot to a 45 and ended the cough but some may tell you to raise the needle by adding a shim, this will bring the needle farther up out of its seat and richen the fuel mixture throughout the lower rpms but not affect the main jet at the higher speeds, a main jet increase on a stock set-up (and no pipes or air cleaner change) in most cases, will make the engine run too rich and carbon up everything in the cubustion chamber and exhaust system causing big problems later on. Also, are you running premium? My bike has never seen anything but premium, I have 56k on an 02 wg and has given excellnt service throughout. A dyno run may be in order and a good inspection to see if you may have an intake leak somewhere. I try to cover all the bases because, assuming all is right, it shouldn't be too rich in the totally stock mode, of course that is not always the case but most generally it is. I hope I didn't ramble too much and really confuse you, I just don't want to see you drop in a big jet and feel you have it under control only to find yourself in a bigger bind later on----jack