Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Handlebar 101

Old 01-07-2006, 08:08 PM
FXD35
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna Handlebar 101

I need some education on Dyna handlebars fellows. I've been looking for a set of straight/drag style handlebars and risers in the parts catalog for my FXD35. Interested in changing out my stock bars to something like the Night Train or Street Slammer bars. For these parts in the H/D catalog, they don't list that the part will actually fit on an 06 Dyna.

Help me out. Are most of the risers and bars standard across the H/D model line up from a mounting perspective? Will S/T model risers fit Dyna models, etc... I'm assuming that H/D must have some type of standard mounting specs, or is each lineup actually different.

Help. Whats the low down on selecting bars and risers for an 06 Dyna?

Ron

Old 01-07-2006, 09:17 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dyna Handlebar 101

All of the dynas except the WG have the same bar mounting system. The WG is differant because it is a thicker bar.

The FXD/FXD35 have differant risers and clamps, because that's where the speedometer is. The housing is all incorperated into the riser top clamp. But that can all be changed pretty easily.

To start with, toss the HD catalog. There are much better parts available in the aftermarket.

For bars, look to Wild1. They make a really sweet T style drag bar that incorporates the risers; PN W0560. You can even run internal wires.

To mount the speedometer, look at some of the brackets available from J&P and the like. There's some excellent single, dual, and triple gauge mounts that really would be a simple bolt on. And that would look pretty trick, too.

If you don't see something you like, making someting out of scrap alum wouldn't be too difficult at all.

Old 01-08-2006, 05:11 AM
haksaw
Road Master

i agree. toss the HD catalog. If that is your guide you'll find very few parts that fit your bike. Most anything can be MADE to fit if you try hard enough.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:54 PM
FXD35
Novice

Thanks guys. I'll check out the Wild1 bars and risers. Just one comment, my FXD35's speedo is tank mounted on the console. No instruments up on the bars. Guess this is like the Wide Glide's with a fat bob tank for the Anniversary model?

Anyone tried mounting the night train bars and risers or Street Slammers?

Thanks,

Ron

Old 01-08-2006, 01:40 PM
grumpygit
Tourer

I bought a set off ebay before Christmas - see the pic below. They were advertised as slight blems (there is a tiny mark down near the bottom rear of one of the risers) but you would never know it. I'm really pleased with them [sm=smiley20.gif]

1 1/2", 8" rise and really nicely made. Well worth the $66 I paid. The guy has an ebay store - "motorcycle handlebars and more" (or something like that) - and always seems to have plenty of choice available. Heck of a lot cheaper than the HD Street Slammers

Old 01-09-2006, 01:14 PM
johnpiech
Cruiser

I went with the bars that came stock on the old FXD Dyna sport for my 06 FXDI 35. I forget the model, but it is the sprort Dyna that was all black. I sat on one at my dealer, and just asked to switch out the buckhorns for the sportier bars.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:32 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on undertaking the new project. Seems like we see this question every couple of months and everyoe is right (for the most part) when it comes to the MoCo catalog. It looks great, but for handlebars and a lot of other parts, they are way overpriced for what you get. Wild Ones is definitely the way to go, changed my bars over last winter with a set of WO 560's, never looked back. I've seen Carlini bars which look awesome on an FXD, but they are really pricey.

The best recommendation I can make is to contact Wild Ones, talk to their salesman, it's a free call and only take a few minutes. Tell them what kind of bars you're interested in and based on your conversation, they can make a recommendation. Hey, they make the things, who better to know the product? I did the same thing a year ago and went through my height, riding style, what look I was trying to get, etc. and settled on their recommendation of the low profile drag bars.

Just my $.02, but it worked well for me. The Dyna bars are all 3.5" on center so spacing should not be an issue. Stock bars are 1" style, Wild Ones make them in 1.25" and 1.5", it's your call which will look better.

Any questions or need for photos, just post back here, there are enough of us who have done this to help out with any problems.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:55 PM
FXD35
Novice

Thanks again guys. I checked out the Wild 1 bars on their web site and called and talked to them today. Service rep was John. Was very knowledable and helpful. Owns a Dyna himself.

He told me all H/D bars for the Dyna and S/T's use the same basic mounting with the exception of the W/G and the Duece. The Duece does not have rubber mountings in the risers. They are all basically 3.5 inch centered risers. The rest is up to style and preference.

I discussed to W0560. Nice bars but with a low 4"rise and a full 14.5" pullback, I'm concerned that they are a little bit too low with too much pullback for me. I was told that the grips would be basically back to the middle of my guages on my FXD35. I am leaning torwards the W0501 8" Drag Bars. They have 5" rise and a 11.5" pullback. Sort of middle of the road.

Nice quality and chroming on their products. Was told that no cable, wiring, or brakeline swaps would be necessary/required with the mounting of the 501s on a Dyna. I also like the fact that they are pre-drilled for internal wiring.

Thansk again for all of your help and advice. I'll post a pic once I decide and get them mounted up.

Ron

Old 01-10-2006, 12:44 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

Ron, I really like the look of the 501's that they have pictured. Very nice choice. I was planning on their mini-apes; I have used them before and reall liked them. But after looking at the 501's, I just might change my mind!

When you get yours installed, please post/send pics. I'm really curious as to how ergonomic they are. Their min-apes fit my hand much better than the stock bars they replaced.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:57 PM
hd2000
Tourer

I have a set of carlini 1' 1/2" bars. They make the bike look alot different than the 1' 3/4'. I'll try to get some pics up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dyna Handlebar 101