Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dyna wide glide / fat bob

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Consolas
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyna wide glide / fat bob

Hello everyone

I'm about to buy an Harley, crazy about it also.

My main question, and forgive me if it's a sick and unberable one since the two bikes are so differente and equal at the same time, i'm really divided into these models: the wide glide and the fat bob.

Live just saw dyna wide glide and once i seat on it, well, my perspective of harleys changed drastically.

Howeve i've seen some sick (in like amazing / wow / fantastic) pictures of fat bobs, that BIG light in the front is so cool that complements all the bike ( my opinion, of course).

What i like is the feelling of riding the bike, that's why i liked so much the dyna wg i saw and seat on, cause i was very confortable and strech to the back, with my feet on the front - i don't know if i'm making myself clear.

I like the fork bigger and meaner, so the wheel is far away, i don't know how to explain this better.

Well, i know it's a matter of tastes, but what are your opinions?

Further more, i live in Portugal and i'm guessing a bike here will cost me ( if it is the dyna wide glide ) something like 13.000€.

I will and need to customize it to my taste, so i'm guessing no less than 4000€ ( more or less $6000) will be needed...am i right?

Thank you very , very much for your help.

Thanks!!!!!

by the way, 2008 has no dyna wide glides?

Old 01-31-2008, 12:16 PM
steel insane
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: dyna wide glide / fat bob

Fat Bob is a Dyna. Being a new Fat Bob owner, I am way biased towrds this model. I thinkthe Fat Bobis the best new Harley in many years.

Customizing, which really is accessorizing, is a matter of taste, time, and money. I'd sit down and think about what you really want the bike to run like, ride like, and look like. Doesn't mean you have to do at all when you buy it, but more of a game plan of what you plan on doing with it and to it.

Engine modifications, such as installing a big bore kit, new exhaust, tuner upgrades, etc., you should consider at time of purchase becuase they will be covered under warranty.

Beauty mods like grips, pegs, covers, mirrors, etc. can be done anytime and probably will be done endlessly (welcome to the Harley addiction).

Hope it helps.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:31 PM
ehc0720
Tourer

I have an 06 WG and love it. I looked at the Fat Bob but it felt small to me(34" inseam). I also put 3" extensions on my forward controls, I like the stretched out ride. There is a 2008 WG, only come in two tone black and gold.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:47 PM
Consolas
6th Gear

Thank you both for your help and such insight information.

Well, i got lucky and got two replys from the different bikes i'm thinking into buying

Well, the ride like it's like i said. A little bit stretched..above all, confortable (well, i can sacrifice a little confort for looks eheh)

Run like...what do you mean? Sounds, grip, speed..?

Look like, well, as you told me there is so muchhhhh to change...i think the fat bob it's more muscle and therefore, with giant acessories it rocks.

The WD is a little more slim and stretched (thus the name, yeah)..oh my, oh my.

If i was rich i would bye them both ehehe

Ís there any site that has lots and lots of acessories to choose from? i think i've covered all the pics on this forum already

Old 01-31-2008, 01:04 PM
stagolee
Road Master

One contributing factor to your choice might be the richness of the aftermarket for each.

Aftermarket parts for the Fat Bob are only just now starting to trickle out, and we really won't see a flood until Spring or later.

If you're hot to customize right now the Wide Glide has a robust aftermarket with tons of options available today.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:10 PM
Consolas
6th Gear

Good point there, mate.

I see by your signature that you purchased a Fat bob 2008. How does it handle?

Are you happy with your choice?

Old 01-31-2008, 01:15 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get the bike you are most comfortable on. That way you will ride it more. That's why I got the WG and my next bike will be a Road Glide. I buy for the ride not for the look. Of course I think the WG is a bad *** lookin' bike, like an old school chopper with the rake and skinny front wheel, but hey that's just me.

Unless you are just buying the bike to look cool for trips to the bar I say get something you will like to ride even when nobody is looking.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:27 PM
stagolee
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Consolas

Good point there, mate.

I see by your signature that you purchased a Fat bob 2008. How does it handle?

Are you happy with your choice?
I'm VERY happy with the Fat Bob. But if I were to buy another bike in the Dyna family, it would be the Wide Glide.

The rides are very different.

The rake on the Fat Bob is 8 degrees LESS than on the Wide Glide.

Whereas the Wide Glide feels rebellious and light on the front end (esp. with that skinny front tire), the Fat Bob feels like a bull in a china shop (which I like).

Some people (myself included) love that outlaw chopper look of the Wide Glide - ape hangers, forward controls, laid back 'don't give a damn' riding position - and some people think the Fat Bob ride is too "conservative" or even safe.

When I'm ripping the asphalt with my Fat Bob I feel like I could just roll right over whatever is in my way.

Like I said, I love them both but I chose the Fat Bob because - all things considered - I've always wanted a bike that was pretty much just like it. Mid-controls and all.

Based on what you've written, I think you might consider getting a Wide Glide and purchasing H-D's dual headlight package so you kind of get the best of both worlds.

Also, as more Fat Bobs hit the market, the fork sliders will be swapped out and wind up on eBay which will make it very easy for Wide Glide owners to move to dual disc brakes.

It's your choice to make, of course, but based on what you've written, I'm thinking you are a Wide Glide candidate -with some Fat Bob styling thrown in for kicks.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:32 PM
Consolas
6th Gear

Agree. Despite the muscle power look of the bob, i think ill prefer the strech bad *** look of the wd. And i feel more confortable in it, also.

About prices, changing pipes, fork and handlebars (is this how you call it?);

Been searching a bit and the big radius is awesome.

I just don't want to mess aroud too much with the bike's sound, i like it a lot as it is.

And above all, want to ride for hours and feel i could ride a lot more.

eh eh

Old 01-31-2008, 01:39 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have put on more than a couple 600+ mile days even many 800+mile days and when we stop for the day I'm still good to go for a few hundred more miles as far as comfort goes.

Quick Reply: dyna wide glide / fat bob