Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob + Deuce wheel + Ebay = problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:34 PM
dklozik
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Street Bob + Deuce wheel + Ebay = problems

I bought a deuce wheel off Ebay not to long ago. The seller said it already had the wheel installation kit on it and it came off of an 06 Dyna. I get the wheel, bearings, spacer and the axle fit, then bolted it up to the bike and went riding. No problems....until today. I take off the wheel to have it plated to match my new front wheel and remove the bearings and spacer. Apparentlyto theguy who sold me the wheel,a wheel installation kit means grind out the hub of the wheel until the stock dyna spacer fits. Because the bearings and spacer were in the when I got it, I never noticed the damaged area in the middle of the wheel. Once the spacer was removed, you could see the missing metal, ect... My rear end was pretty much supported by the bearings. Ok, the wheel is junk, I know where I can get another nice one (plated) and my local dealer has the wheel installation kit. After putting my hands on an install kit and trying to put it on my2nd deuce wheel, and talking to all 3 dealers in my area, the Chrome Deuce wheel in the HD catalog for the Dyna's, isnt the same wheel as a regular deuce wheel. The wheel installation kit comes with spacers that are 1.25" OD. The wheel spacer area on a stock Deuce wheel is 1" OD. The chrome wheel they sell is already machined out in the middle to accept the bigger spacer. A stock Deuce wheel that came off of a Deuce will not accept the 1" axle, spacers, ect....unless you have it machined. So I took my 2nd deuce wheel to the machine shop and had them look at it. They said machining the hole to accept the larger spacer is no big deal. There is plenty of metal and its only $40 to open it up. I hope this helps clear up some things for anyone trying to put a deuce wheel on a Dyna with the 1" axle. Normally I would think my local dealer is full of crap, but I was able to put my hands on several wheel install kits. 06+ and 05down. Kinda sucks. maybe someone else has better info.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Street Bob + Deuce wheel + Ebay = problems

Thanks for the info... I crossed that one RIGHT off of my "to do" list.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:47 PM
06dynablack
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well that sux u got burnt for a wheel.good thing you were gona have it chromed.id tell the guy who you bought it from to make it right with you.If dont wanna make it right u do have his addy

Old 02-13-2008, 07:51 PM
dklozik
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, the guy i bought it from is like 10 states away..it was on Ebay. If you take a deuce wheel and machine it out or buy the one from HD, its the same thing. That is all they are doing. If you look at the wheel install kit that is specifically for that wheel, the OD of the 2 spacers in the kit are about 1.25". Just a couple extra days im without my bike, but I'll live.