Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer's feeling the heat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 01:49 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dealer's feeling the heat?

When I was shopping around for a bike, I bought from a particular dealer because they had no extra fees such as setup, doc, etc. In turn, they also didn't usually offer any incentives unless they were on closeout models. Basically, similar to a "no hassle" car dealer. You walk in, see the price as marked, and pay the price as marked plus freight, tax, title, and tags. They bragged to me that this had always been their practice and they were proud of the fact that they didn't use meaningless markups to create so-called incentives to get people to buy and feel like they were being given something that they were actually paying for buried in all the paperwork.

Well, I checked their website today. Buy any 2008 bike and pay no freight, get your 1st service for free, and get 1000 bucks in store credit. I'm betting there's now a setup fee that sits behind all that to help pay for some of what they are "giving" you. Still, all in all, probably a better deal than I got. But, to hear these people brag on their "morals" and then now they are doing the same thing most others do, boy, they must be feeling the heat of the sales slowdown. Sooner or later, it seems to me, they are going to have to give in and just be willing to negotiate on sticker prices like car dealers do.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:56 PM
70mach1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dealer's feeling the heat?

Money is everything , so I,d say if it comes to a sale and a few buck$$ or no sale .
They will bend , Question is , how much >>>>[8D]

Old 02-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Travlinman314
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stopped at my "new" dealership (closer dealer where I bought bike can kiss my a$$)this morning, and they are having a $1000 off 2008 sticker price deal going on.

Times are getting worse, writting is on the walls for these guys, sales will be down for a few years, people are hurting.

Sad but true...

Old 02-20-2008, 02:20 PM
hmmr
Banned

dang, i thought i got an OK deal paying sticker!

Old 02-20-2008, 02:25 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: hmmr

dang, i thought i got an OK deal paying sticker!
Depending on when you bought, you did. That's what I paid and was told at the time that if I could get a bike at sticker and no setup fee, that was in and of itself a good deal. Don't forget that not more than 10 years ago (long time I know) people were paying above sticker and then waiting on their order to come in. I just got in the game about a year tooearly I think. Of course, when I finally pulled the trigger and started riding, I felt like I got in the game 20 years too late.

It wasn't enough that the MoCo dropped the price of my bike over a grand this year and didn't change a meaningful thing about it. Now, my dealer is giving stuff away they said they never had and never would. Oh well, pretty much sums up my life story - day late, dollar short...

Old 02-20-2008, 02:26 PM
glide05
Road Warrior

dealer near me has 2 2007 Softail STD left over - almost $2K off sticker.

going to be a long year for these guys.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:51 PM
risdo
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right now, for H-D, it's kind of a perfect storm.

Sales were already down before the economy slowed. They had just upped their manufacturing capacity, what? Four times over? (don't quote me)

At the same time, the rubbie fad was wearing off: all those doctors, lawyers, and stockbrokerswere unloading their bikes, driving down resale prices.

The Moco will be OK: they still have a ton o' cash reserves. I think.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

27 year car dealer here.

Economics 101 -- Supply vs Demand

Old 02-20-2008, 04:02 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

got an email from dealer 10% off sticker for 2 days no set up just freight and free service 1000 mi I think dealers are starting to hurt economy is bad

Old 02-20-2008, 04:04 PM
HogFather
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theres wiggle room in any deal.

Quick Reply: Dealer's feeling the heat?