Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

StreetBob or Superglide ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:37 AM
dodi
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default StreetBob or Superglide ?

I owned a 2001 Superglide for about a year in 2005 and ended up selling the bike for a Suzuki Vstrom. I've been wanting to get into another Harley for a few years now. I like the Dynas and Sportsters because of the mid controls and also because I am only 5'4". Today at a Harley demo ride I rode a StreetBob twice and an 883 Iron in between. I definately prefer the Dyna for the ride qualityover the Sportster. Although because of my size the Sportster was a better fit. There wasn't a Dyna Superglide on the test fleet that I could ride. I liked the StreetBob ride a lot. The bike fits me reasonably well as I am flat footed at a standstill and the mid controls also fit nicely. I would prefer the bars to be rolled back towards me a touch ( an easy fix ) and possibly a set of thinner grips. My question to Street Bob owners (and I guess Supergide owners as well) concerns the noticeable windblast I felt with the higher bars.The test rides were about 20/25 minutes each with some highway portions. I noticed on the StreetBob after 2 demo rides ....about an hour on the bike that the windblast was really noticeable for me . It was much more than I remmeber on the Superglide. I am not planning long freeway jaunts but i am worried that if I took on some longer rides would the streetbob not be a good choice as a highway bike.Also do the higher bars make riding in the rain less controllable. i do realizre that any naked bike on the highway is going to be an issue I guess the question I want to know about is whether the Streetbob is a lot worse to ride as an everyday/ freeway bike than the Superglide. Also I noticed the Superglide the last few years sits a bit taller than 2005 or previous models. I can no longer flatfoot the Superglide and it is more difficult to get off the sidestand. ( seems to lean over a tad more....weight definately feels more noticeable. The Streetbob sits a bit lower and appears to be better balanced off the sidestand.....this does make a difference to a little guy. I would have to lower a Superglide a bit to make it fit better.
PS the look of the Strretbob is really growing on me....It is definately a cool looking bike
Lastly which of the denim paintjobs appeals to you ...Black, Blue, Burgandy...thanks for your input and safe riding.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:51 AM
carltex
Road Warrior

If the wind is a factor get a windshield. I would get the Street Bob just for the fact of the speedo setup. I'm 5'6" and have an 07 Superglide and put on the mini apes and lowering shocks and a Lowrider seat. The seat gets you down and forward a little IMO. As far as the hiway the Bob would be fine. With your arms up a little you may be catching a bit more wind than when slumped over on the Superglide.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:21 AM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't comment on the Street Glide but I can on the Street Bob. I am just under 5'-4", about 128 pounds. I traded in my NIghster for an '08 Street Bob. I couldn't be happier. I HAVE had to make a couple adjustments due to my height. I was "flatfooted" but didn't have enough "traction" to back the bike up very well, especially on even the slightest of inclines, or if I got into a "dip", etc. I got a custom seat from C&C that was a little lower, and narrower in the front, and just recently put some 1" lowering blocks on (a cheaper way to lower the bike than lower shocks, and for my weight etc., no negative impact on handling. The bike is now pretty much perfect for me. I do have highway pegs because I like a second option for foot position. I have heard the forward controls would be too far a stretch for me. Oh, and I put a detachable windshield on (a Memphis Slim).

Anyway, I sure do love my Street Bob. I could have ridden it without the slight mods I did, but it was worth the little bit of money to do them.

Last edited by June Bug; 04-20-2009 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:13 PM
ratt196635
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Street Bob you will love it. just get a windshield for the wind problem.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:36 PM
dynabagger
Advanced

Originally Posted by carltex
If the wind is a factor get a windshield. I would get the Street Bob just for the fact of the speedo setup. I'm 5'6" and have an 07 Superglide and put on the mini apes and lowering shocks and a Lowrider seat. The seat gets you down and forward a little IMO. As far as the hiway the Bob would be fine. With your arms up a little you may be catching a bit more wind than when slumped over on the Superglide.
I'm gonna have to agree with carltex, I love my 07 superglide. But I do not like the speedo on the bars, looks much better on the tank the way the street bob has it. You can always change what you don't like, or add a windshield. Comes down to what you think looks the best.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:07 PM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

dodi
Fit/comfort paramount.
I went with an 05 Lowrider just before the intro of the street bob wish I had gone with
the bob.
lean towards the streetBob same shock setup as lowrider nice with miniapes
also you can always add a windshield,flyscreen or even a windvest
I am 5'2" and have a lowrider with 1" lower shocks in rear and a custom seat.
I am flatfooted. For wind fatigue I added a windvest/also have detachable windshield
from an earlier sporty my lowrider is still the narrowglide front end.
For a windshield I would look towards the harley compact with detachable hardware
you should be able to look over it but be free from the wind blast.
And it will help with some road debris and bugs!! Color is the individuals choice

Attached Thumbnails StreetBob or Superglide ?-1-pics-001.jpg  
Old 04-20-2009, 06:20 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

my street bob is a daily driver and I ride on the freeway all the time. Now I am a bit stronger then the average bear, and only have problems when I am going 100 mph for a while into the wind. A friend of mine has a windshield and tends to laugh at me in those situations (he is not as strong and has an easy time). Therefore I would suggest if you are having wind issues get a removable windshield and get the bob, you will be happy.