Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fork slider install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:12 PM
JDixon
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default fork slider install question

Hello all,
I've slowly been installing fork sliders on my 98 Dyna wide glide... posted some questions and got some replys to get me here and hopefully this is the last one.

When installing the fork seals, i have a short PVC pipe to bang tthe seal down but it's not going. I pulled things up the fork tube ie; rubber boot, seal and big washer(forks are still mounted to triple tree) and It looks like the upper Bushing is tight in the slider. I'm wondering if this is causing the resistance for the seal to go down -I definately couldn't use 2 fingers then a couple dowels to push it all down.

I'm thinking of pulling the fork tube, using a much longer PVC pipe,lubing everything with WD40 and tapping the washer down first, which would also push the tight upper bushing down lower into the slider. Then I'll push the fork seal down. The inside of the slider looks like there is a ridge where the washer will stop, and the fork seal goes down next over it. I'm pretty sure the bushing, washer and seals are in the right order like to the old ones, I've checked the manual diagram too.

I'm even willing to pull the springs out if that would give less resistance to pushing everything down in it's place.

Oh, by the way The fork sliders are chrome aftermarket fromCustom Chrome as well as the replacement fork seals and bushings

This is a long post, but I always get a lot of input from you all to get me to the next step.
any input appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:47 PM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: fork slider install question

I think I'm understanding you right, here, because I ran into something like that.. Basicly, I installed the lower. Tightened the screw(in the axle hole). Then I took a small drift punch to seat the bushing into the lower before setting the seal... I think your on the right track, but you shouldnt haveto take it all apart to lube it up..

Old 03-11-2008, 09:12 PM
JDixon
Cruiser

yeah,
thanks for the info..i'm more inclined to get the bushing down first instead of smashing everything down at once and risk messing up the ruubber fork seal -can't hurt right? I did check that i had ordered correct sliders and even checked the bushing fit on my old sliders and it seemed to be tight..and it had originally come from there!!

i don't have a drift punch (don't even know what one is)but i figure the washer will put it down evenly.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:15 AM
HGM
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: JDixon

yeah,
thanks for the info..i'm more inclined to get the bushing down first instead of smashing everything down at once and risk messing up the ruubber fork seal -can't hurt right? I did check that i had ordered correct sliders and even checked the bushing fit on my old sliders and it seemed to be tight..and it had originally come from there!!

i don't have a drift punch (don't even know what one is)but i figure the washer will put it down evenly.
Yea, I tried to knock the whole set down, it didnt work... When I realized the bushing was cocking, I drove it down and all was good.. A drift is just something you hit to knock something into possition.. A screwdriver would work, but you just want to be carefull not to dammage the bushing or the fork tube. Remember thats the sliding surface for the forks.. Tap it lightly and evenly, 180 deg at a time, just work your way around the bushing.. And, yes, the washer may work as the surface to tap on, but it may **** too.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:53 AM
baroth1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just went through the same thing last Saturday. A little oil/lubricant will make all the difference. Buy an additional washer at the HD shop. Install the bushing first, placing the washer between the bushing and the PVC.Then put the washer in. Place the extra washer between the seal and the PVC. If everything is lubed good, you should have no problems. Then put the washer in your toolbox so it's there the next time you need it.

The lesson of using lube on the seal, cost me $50 at my local HD shop. Expensive, but well worth it. The tech let me help and answered all kinds of questions for me.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:24 AM
HGM
Road Warrior

Just an add on to that. You should always put greese inside the lip of your seal so the springs doesnt come out when you hit it..

Old 03-12-2008, 02:58 PM
sideshow bob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all I would put the old fork seal on top of the new then if you can find a metal tube to fit over the slider use that but before you do that wrap electrical insulation tape around your slider so as not to scratch it...it could be that your plastic tube is warping as you tap down

[IMG]local://upfiles/52858/DC7AD1A6CDBA4AE5AB8889DA94236C9A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-12-2008, 07:34 PM
JDixon
Cruiser

I got the first fork completely done. I used everyone's ideas -- spare washers and old seals stacked. It went together great. I didn't have time to do the second one but am not expecting problems.

Thanks to all from MAINE!