Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Handlebar triple tree ground strap necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:11 AM
ShoreRider
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Is Handlebar triple tree ground strap necessary?

ORIGINAL: Dynamite17

Could someone without the ground wire use an ohm-meter to see if the frame to handlebars are electrically connected with close to 0 ohms?
Dynamite17:

Here's where I measured on my 07 FXDC and the readings I got. All reading were taken 3 different times each and with the fork in 3 different positions: full lock left, full lock right and straight on. I did the straight on to see if there was any difference by having the forks at the stops, providing another potential ground path.

1)Frontbrake banjo bolt toforward control mounting bracket bolt,A/C bracket head bolt, primary cover bolt: All reading 0 ohms +/- .3 ohms

2)Triple tree headlight bolt to forward control mounting bracket bolt, A/C bracket head bolt, primary cover bolt: All reading 0 ohms +/- .2 ohms

3)Triple tree upper clamp bolt to forward control mounting bracket bolt, A/C bracket head bolt, primary cover bolt: All reading 0 ohms +/- .2 ohms

4) Handlebar riser cover bolt to forward control mounting bracket bolt, A/C bracket head bolt, primary cover bolt: All reading 0 ohms +/- .2 ohms

All these reading are within normal grounding specifications for a 12V DC system and within tolerance of the Fluke digital multimeter I was using to take the readings.

As previously stated by others, the wire is certainly there to provide a more positive ground path, but based on the readings I just took, I see no issue, but the call is yours.