Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHY APES?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:33 AM
007dyna
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHY APES?

I'm considering putting 10 inch apes on my 07 FXD. To those of you who have put on the apes, why did you do it? Please post pics! Are you happy with your apes? What is your ride cmfort like? In short, give me your reaction to your apes and why you would or would not do it.

Thanks

Old 03-25-2008, 12:47 AM
rayfinseats
Road Captain
Default RE: WHY APES?

My 06 FXDI with 10 inch apeswas very comfortable.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:18 AM
urdollar
Advanced

The reason I put 10" "mini" apes was with the stockonesI was leaning too far forward and it was killing my shoulder.
I would put a picture up but haven't figured out how to shrink the pics I have down. I first leaned the apes forward and was comfortable, however slow turns were a pain for my short arms. I have the handlebars in line with the rake of the front end and have not problem in low or high speed turning.

Urdollar

Old 03-25-2008, 05:32 AM
Slipstrm
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The same reasons as above, comfort, I'm very happy with my Street Bob bars on my 07 FXD.
Before/After Pic's in my Gallery and details in the following link.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_3037789/tm.htm

Old 03-25-2008, 06:15 AM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try this web site for shrinking pics - got the link a few weeks ago from another member:

http://www.resize2mail.com/index.php

ORIGINAL: urdollar

The reason I put 10" "mini" apes was with the stockonesI was leaning too far forward and it was killing my shoulder.
I would put a picture up but haven't figured out how to shrink the pics I have down. I first leaned the apes forward and was comfortable, however slow turns were a pain for my short arms. I have the handlebars in line with the rake of the front end and have not problem in low or high speed turning.

Urdollar

Old 03-25-2008, 06:23 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO... as said above, they offer morecomfort. but i think they are also more appealing visually, but this all matters the style of you bike and what have you...

Old 03-25-2008, 06:38 AM
GlassBikerNC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The first bike I rode had buckhorns with a 10" rise and 10" pullback and was pretty comfortable. The next bike had standard bars with a 5" rise and 7" pullback and I hated these. Felt like I was trying to grab the front wheel. I ended up putting 14" apes on it. The WG had the 10" mini apes and they were OK but after getting used to the 14's they felt a little too low. I switched these to 16" Gimps but felt they were too narrow (especially with the WG front end) so I now have Carlini Gangster Apes that are about 19" (advertised as 16").

Old 03-25-2008, 06:49 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: urdollar

Urdollar
http://www.vodahost.com/pix.htmthis is a great too to resize your pics .

Old 03-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have drag bars on my 1999 XLCH and 18" apes on my 06 BOB. Since I have had 3 spinal fusions on my lower back I find it more comfortable with the apes. Plus the styling and they didnt work on my walker..........

Old 03-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Voyager - http://www.vodahost.com/pix.htmthis is a great too to resize your pics .

Nice program - thanks for the link.

Watie

Quick Reply: WHY APES?