Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Updated) Non-HD Oil Filters . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:05 PM
up in minot
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Updated) Non-HD Oil Filters . . .

Ok, I know this has been beaten like a dead horse, but I need to know something. I'm looking to do an oil change on my '08 FXDC, and was looking at using a non-HD filter. I looked at some FRAM filters, and the guy at the parts counter wasn't sure whether the ones he had would fit or not. I can't blame it all on him, as his books were not completely up to date either.

I guess the question is, if any of you have used non-HD filters on your '08 Dyna's, which one did you get; brand & part number? I know it looks sort of funny to have a filter up there that isn't all black or chrome, but for the price difference, I really don't care...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

UPDATE - I found the answer to the question myself. Also, I found that FRAM has chrome versions available...Yes, I can be a dumb-*** too!!!

If you want to look for your part number, go to this link;
http://www.power-21.com/HoneywellPow...cycle_1211.pdf

Old 03-30-2008, 07:20 PM
farns
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Non-HD Oil Filters . . .

I will start off by saying sorry first, as I am sure to offend.

Why would anyone spend $15,000+ on a bike and cheap out on a component that filters your engines life blood?

When we are sick, we go to a doctor, not a vet. I view oil filters the same way.

An HD filter:

1. has the micron rating required by the engineers for it's engines. (Evo's are 30 micron, TC's are 10 micron, aftermarket are???)
2. has the bypass valve spring set for Harley - not too high preventing bypass and starving the engine, not too low allowing early bypass and dirty oil to circulate unfiltered. (Aftermarket are????)

My .02

Old 03-30-2008, 07:32 PM
farns
Road Captain
Default RE: (Updated) Non-HD Oil Filters . . .

I have checked your link and found:

6065A 1986
This filter covers Evo Sportster (designed for 30 micron, low pressure low volume oil pump).
KH Sportsters and Iron heads from 1954 -
All Big twins -Twin Cams (designed for 10 micron, high pressure high volume).
Many Big Twins - EVO.
Some Indian models - S&S powered I do believe.
I find this highly dubious and would not use these filters on my bike.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You could just go look up the thread on ChooChoo's girlfriend's bike.
If that doesn't make you want to spend the extra $5 on the HD filter, I'm not sure what will.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:45 PM
up in minot
Road Captain

You honestly can't offend me, so don't worry about that. I appreciate you looking over this stuff for me. I did buy Mobil 1 V-twin while I was there, but due to the fact that the guy didn't seem all to sure about the filter, I passed on buying that. After seeing what you posted below, I'm glad I did. Thank you. Do you think the oil I bought will be fine? I know it's not HD, and not made to their standards, but it is rated API SG, SH/CF JASO MA. Hopefully that'll be fine. I think that surpasses what they call for, plus it's a full synthetic.

By the way, I haven't heard anyone else use your quote for a long time now. My Dad used to say to me, "If you're looking for sympathy, you won't find it here. Go look in the dictionary between **** and syphilis."

Old 03-30-2008, 07:47 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fram filters are one of the worst filters on the market...also,I dont believe for a minute that HD makes filters...they contract them out to the LOW BIDDER...just like their SYN3 oil...MFGR varies from one lot to the next...if you want the best,go with AMSOIL for fluids and filters...JMPO...:&gt

Old 03-30-2008, 07:53 PM
farns
Road Captain

Interestingly enough, oil seems to be less of a problem.

Buying a quality oil is important, but you can read the api rating and be good to go pretty easy.

Filters seem to be another story all together. No one tells you what the paper rating is, what the bypass pressure it etc.

I could very well be paranoid, and may even be shafted by the MOCO (who is to guarantee anything these days regarding specs - even theirs???).

Personally, I just feel that if they will warranty a bike for 2 years unlimited and I use their filters, it is cheap piece of mind for me.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:55 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

I would not put fram om anything. j-u-n-k !! I will stick with the Hd filter. Just my opinion .

Old 03-30-2008, 08:04 PM
mustasz
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I only once installed non HD filter /96 evo fxdl/ and I couldn't have proper oil level on my dip stick. Changed it instantly to HD filter- no problem. Mat

Old 03-30-2008, 08:54 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

..who makes the HD filters and oil?....it sure as hell isnt HD...:&gt

Quick Reply: (Updated) Non-HD Oil Filters . . .