Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Dyna Glide Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, FXR Super Glide, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by: True-Track Inc.

P

Old 03-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Prospect
Default Removing rear shocks???

I own a 2002 Dyna Wide Glide and have purchased the Progressive 11" HD lowering shocks. I've heard that removingthe stockfor the swap out is a fairly easy task... can someone shed some light on this for me and the "How to" on this project. Yes, I did a search... not much info.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2008, 01:26 PM
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Removing rear shocks???

take a bike jack and get pressure off take one side at a time. you should be find.
p.c.3
progressive 412 shocks DYNA"S RULE
Old 03-31-2008, 01:30 PM
Senior Rider

Reason why thers nothing on the net is its so easy. As its a stright swap of parts. Just support the bike under the frame so the rear wheel is just of the ground and away you go.
If you need guidence should you really be doing it yourself ?
Old 03-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Prospect

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Ribcracker
If you need guidence should you really be doing it yourself ?
"Guidence"? Im not asking for anyone to hold my hand... if you have never done the task before, it does not hurt to ask someone that has. You never know what info you can get from someone that has run into problems, no matter what the task is. Guidence? No... playing it smart? Yes!

Thank you for your instruction...
Old 03-31-2008, 03:07 PM
Senior Rider

wasnt trying to put you down mate. Just trying to get over how simple it is. Hence the lack of " how to" guides on it.
If it helps a few things to note.
Things to check whilst you have them off is for wear or rust on the shock mounts. Make sure when you pul them off the metal tube inside the rubber bushingcomes off with it. Or else the new ones wont go on. If you pull the boottom shocks bolt out it will let you use the full length of the old shock to swing the shock around and losen the bushing from the top mount.Have the new shocks come with new rubbers? if not buy some as yours are 6 years old now and wont fit right in the new shocks. Rub a small amount of anti seeze grease on the mounts to aid removal in the future. Just basic things you do when swaping out old compmetns for new be they the same or different. But honeslty apart from the ferul inside the top bush being siezed to the mount on the frame there are no real nightmares lurking. As long as you have the bike secure and dont let the wheel drop to far that it hits your foot or knocks the bike of the stand.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:09 PM
Senior Rider

one note he cant do it one side at a time as the new shock wont reach as its a lot shorter than the original.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:21 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

simple swap i did it with one of my arms in a cast

106 w/ headwork by Wink Eller, D&D Fat cat, Woods tw6-6 cams, 30t pulley, RaceTech Springs/ Gold Valve Emulators,13.5" RaceTech G3-S Piggybacks, Fxdxt Fairing, C&C fastback,12" WCT-bars, 13 spoke mag wheels, SuperBrace, Metzeler Me880's, Dual disk brakes, Oberon adjustable levers, Sputhe Chassis Stabilizer, SM49mm Pre-load Adjusters
96"= 93hp/98tq-tuned by Mickey Cohen Motorsports
106"= TBD by Mickey Cohen Motorsports
Old 03-31-2008, 05:54 PM
Hang Around

I did one side at a time on the kickstand
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:03 PM
Hang Around

I just put 11" 412s on my 98 wide glide about 4 hrs ago. Dont mess with the jack or anything, as long as your kickstand works you will be fine. Take one side shock off. The bike will drop down on its own. Put the new shock on where you just took the old one off. Go to the other side of bike. Remove other old shock. The bike will drop down a little too far. Put the other new shock on...start it on the bottom only. Grab the bike by the rear fender with one hand and lift up to where the upper shock studwill accept the upper shock eyelet.Push the shock onto the the upper shock stud with your free hand. Let go of fender. Push the shockthe rest of the way on. With that being said pay attention to the bottom shock stud as youpush the shocks on. Put one finger behind the studso it doesnt slide away as you push the shock on...its just easier to do it that way. The top is set up so you dont have to worry about it. This proccess takes less than 10 minutes. The acorn nut and shock stud are 3/4". I used a 3/4" open end wrench and ratchet/socket. Trust me when i tell you it is just that easy.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:56 AM
Road Captain

take a bike jack and get pressure off take one side at a time. you should be find.

Floor jack...one at a time. Done it on 4 bikes so far. Just be careful.
"This country is for sale, inquire within."
Rayfinseats@gmail.com
Old 04-01-2008, 12:56 AM

P