Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California DMV Bike Skills Test vs. Rider's Course?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:58 PM
jwlehman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default California DMV Bike Skills Test vs. Rider's Course?

I recently moved to California from Indiana and am preparing to meet the California requirements to get my license out here. I took a course in Indiana, but don't think its valid here in California.

My question is...how difficult is the DMV's on-bike testing? Any links that offer details of the test? I don't really want to spend $250.00 for the Motorcyle Course I see offered. Yes, I know the benefits of taking the course...

Thanks

Old 04-07-2008, 04:01 PM
CSA
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: California DMV Bike Skills Test vs. Rider's Course?

It's a breeze!

Do the test in the DMV Parking lot. Has you drive around and what not. Ask you to run through the cones etc.......

Last time I took it in California I think he had me out there under 15 minutes!

Old 04-07-2008, 05:44 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior

you ride a circle both directions only problem you are to stay between the lines put afoot down you go home also ashort sloamn (sp) course most dmv have the thing painted on the ground just go down an a sunday and try it. I would try to borrow a smaller bike if it was me.....

Old 04-07-2008, 07:40 PM
cHiLi_11
Cruiser

I just finished the 3 day MRE course and it was great. Not only did it save me on insurance through AAA, but I really did learn alot. I also was issued a card that said I completed the course and with that you get various dicounts. I went in to cycle gear to buy a full face and saved 20% on a SHOEI helmet.

Nick

Old 04-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm surprised the MSF BRC doesn't meet CA requirements.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:49 PM
CSA
Road Master

ORIGINAL: lonewatie

Yeah I thought they would also. In Washington State it does. You take the course they hand you your Lisc!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

If you get a cool DMV person...and as long as you show that you know howto handle your bike you are good. Meaning, when I took the test years ago, my front tire wouldnt stay between the lines on the circle, but she could see I didn't have a problem handling/steering my bike so she passed me. Also, they will tell you to proceed down behind the building or some other blind spot and expect you to stop/slow down and look both ways before proceeding past that blind spot. Dont forget that...it's usually towards theend of the test.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:11 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: CSA

ORIGINAL: lonewatie

Yeah I thought they would also. In Washington State it does. You take the course they hand you your Lisc!
The California Motorcyclist Safety Program (CMSP) uses the MSF Basic RiderCourse.

http://www.ca-msp.org/

From the website:
[align=left] Basic RiderCourse (BRC)
The Basic RiderCourse is usually a two-day course taught by RiderCoaches certified by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) using curriculum developed by MSF.

From their FAQ page:

Will I get a license after the course?

You will receive a skills test waiver after successfully completing the Basic Rider Course. This waiver will allow graduates to go to the DMV and take only the written test for their motorcycle endorsement. Please be aware that tuition for the Basic RiderCourse does not include DMV fees associated with obtaining your motorcycle license.
[/align]

Old 04-07-2008, 08:12 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: brypink

If you get a cool DMV person...and as long as you show that you know how to handle your bike you are good. Meaning, when I took the test years ago, my front tire wouldnt stay between the lines on the circle, but she could see I didn't have a problem handling/steering my bike so she passed me. Also, they will tell you to proceed down behind the building or some other blind spot and expect you to stop/slow down and look both ways before proceeding past that blind spot. Dont forget that...it's usually towards the end of the test.
The behind the building bit is at the examiners discretion. When I did mine, all I had to do was the loop each way. Do a couple of practice runs around the loop at the DMV to see how you fare before you take the test. It isnt so easy when they put the cones on the painted dots in the center of the lane around the loop and tell you to slalom them.

If you're going to do it at the DMV, use a smaller bike. It's a tough somnabeetch on a big bike if you're a novice. If you already have plenty of sperience at slow speed maneuvering under your belt, it's a piece of cake

Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: kk6pg

ORIGINAL: brypink

If you get a cool DMV person...and as long as you show that you know how to handle your bike you are good. Meaning, when I took the test years ago, my front tire wouldnt stay between the lines on the circle, but she could see I didn't have a problem handling/steering my bike so she passed me. Also, they will tell you to proceed down behind the building or some other blind spot and expect you to stop/slow down and look both ways before proceeding past that blind spot. Dont forget that...it's usually towards the end of the test.
The behind the building bit is at the examiners discretion. When I did mine, all I had to do was the loop each way. Do a couple of practice runs around the loop at the DMV to see how you fare before you take the test. It isnt so easy when they put the cones on the painted dots in the center of the lane around the loop and tell you to slalom them.

If you're going to do it at the DMV, use a smaller bike. It's a tough somnabeetch on a big bike if you're a novice. If you already have plenty of sperience at slow speed maneuvering under your belt, it's a piece of cake
painted dots = counter steering

Quick Reply: California DMV Bike Skills Test vs. Rider's Course?