Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 sensor, V&H and PCIII????

Old 04-30-2008, 06:53 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default O2 sensor, V&H and PCIII????

ok, i searched and searched. and i found a few answers but they seem to contradict eachother is some ways. i just purchased some V&H short shots staggered, PCIII, and stage 1 AC for my 08 dyna street bob

Now i was having some trouble removing the O2 sensor to put in the new pipes. i was searching on removal tips, but found a post that said the PCIII comes with O2 eliminators?

is the true??? then why should i remove them from my stock pipes, eh?!?!?

i have not recieved the PCIII,should be here friday. and i was wanting to get everything on and ready to plug in the PCIII and off i go. but ifprogrammer comes with eliminators then ishould wait to get it and install the eliminatorsthen install the pipes. or could i install the pipes and wait to install the eliminators, may not be the best area to access after the pipes are installed.

just wondering if you guys could offer a little guidance as normal!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:01 AM
mikeurig
Road Master
Default RE: O2 sensor, V&H and PCIII????

Leave sensors in stock pipes, go to store get plugs for new pipes.
Install pipes and A/C wait for PCIII to come before riding.
You might want to get dynoed for best results.

I myself went thru all that fuel management stuff.
I went back to slip-on, stock air box and http://www.nightrider.com/parts/ IED's

Old 04-30-2008, 07:04 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The O2 eliminators are plugs which go in the connectors on the end ofeach O2 harness. They do not replace theO2 sensor themselves.

A lot have had trouble getting the sensor out of their old exhaust. Soaking them overnight with WD-40 often helps. They should be easier to remove with the exhaust off the bike. Use a little anti-seize in the threads of the sensor before re-installing them in your new exhaust.

You can buy metal plugs to fill the O2 sensor holes in your new exhaust if you wish.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:06 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have a PCIII. I do know you can purchase one with O2 eliminators but I am not sure if that is optional or if that's embedded in all of the units. I don't know if it's more of an advantage or disadvantage to run without O2 sensors on a closed loop efi bike. I do know that "jakeiniraq" uses them on his bike and he says it runs great. However, it was professionally tuned that way. If you do use them, you must somehow plug the holes for them in your new pipes. This is not my specialty by a long shot but my impression is that the eliminators are meant to enable you to run with pipes that may be custom, etc. and don't have provisions for O2 sensors - but I could be wrong about that. If you intend to have the bike dyno-tuned, contact the tuner and ask them which is the better way to install the PCIII - with or without O2 sensors.

As far as removing the sensors, there have been posts that explain good ways to do it. You do need to be careful because you can break them and I've heard they are about 80 bucks to replace. Not sure if that's for each or a set. You probably would want to unplug them from the bike and remove the pipes with them in tact. Then spray some sort of penetrating oil on them and let them sit for a while before carefully removing them. In this month's American Iron magazine, they havea step by step tech article on installing some pipes. One of the steps shows the removal of these sensors. You may want to pick up a copy and check it out.

With all that said, I'll add that there are only 2 mods on my bike that haven't been done by me. One is the handlebars, because I didn't want to deal with the internal wiring and mess something up. And the other is my pipes, because I didn't want to chance breaking the O2 sensors. For not much more than it would have cost me to replace a broken sensor, I was able to get a dealer to install my pipes and reprogram my Fuelpak for me.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:20 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

ok well do these eliminators plug into the harness on the sensor side or the bike side?

well i guess i may need to remove them anyway! darn. well i guess i will get ahold of a local dynojet tuner and see what he says, either that or jamie at fuelmoto. well thanks for you help guys!

keep em coming if you got more info on the subject!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:25 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: shimmon

ok well do these eliminators plug into the harness on the sensor side or the bike side?

well i guess i may need to remove them anyway! darn. well i guess i will get ahold of a local dynojet tuner and see what he says, either that or jamie at fuelmoto. well thanks for you help guys!

keep em coming if you got more info on the subject!
The eliminators plug into the connectors on the harness (on the bike side). If you get plugs, you do not need to remove your O2 sensors.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:42 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

WELL THATS GREAT!!!! my next question would be does anyone know what kind of plug should i get, are these just your standard pipe fittings? i work at a hydraulic shop and have about 10 different style (threads and seals) plugs i could use. but i didnt bring my new pipes to test fit it in, so...

also someone said the put antisieze in the when i go to install them, but i believe my maintenece manual says to put loctite on them before installtion? whats up with this!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:01 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd first find out which is the best way to run your bike. If you bought the PCIII from Fuelmoto, call Jaimie back and ask if the preferred way to run it is with or without the O2 sensors. That's what I'd do anyway. You may be told either way is fine. But, again, not my specialty, but the feedback from the O2 sensors is part of what makes the ECM adjust to the current environment. May be talking out of my *** here, but wouldn't that be important for things like significant changes in altitude, etc?

Old 04-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Graduate
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plugs for the pipes are not a standard pipe thread. I bought 2 chrome pipe plugs from eastern performance for 14.95 no shipping. Have also heard you can get metric bolt 18 x1.5 but couldn't find one. The plugs from EP are low profile with allen head. I left the sensors in the original pipes just in case I need to put them back on. You will want to put the plugs in before installing new pipes because the rear sensor requires a crows foot to remove in place.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:15 AM
Graduate
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the O2 eliminators and it runs great. If you don't remove the sensors the the wires are left hanging. I also heard that if left in place without being plugged in they eventually won't work anyways.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: O2 sensor, V&H and PCIII????