Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT or TMax?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:00 AM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SERT or TMax?

Alright, I'm installing a pair of HQ 'Hurricane' cams this weekend, and it's obviously going to need to be retuned... All I have on their now is the Stage 1 upgrade with a break in map that came from the dealer.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking about a TMax but have you guys seen how much they're going for now? They're nearly a thousand dollars!... Even from Zanotti's it's over 750.00!

Any suggestions?... I mean, I want to be able to narrow in on the 'timing tables' as suggested by Kevin at HQ.... I suspect a TMax will do this, and a SERT from the dealer would be cheaper.

What about a PC3?

Any other devices youguys know ofthat I could use torecalibrate the 'timing tables'?

Old 05-12-2008, 11:29 AM
the metal
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SERT or TMax?

i fretted over the very same issue for a couple months eh, i went with the thundermax due to the auto tune constant learning, exponentially greater # of map points, easier to learn than the SERT, wide band o2 sensors, no need for a dyno tune (don't forget to add that in with the cost of the SERT + it is a very complicated piece of software with no real way to learn it) thundermax tech support is direct and helpful. the tmax is available now for between 650 and 775, i paid $750 at j&p so the SERT with dyno tune would end up more rly.

i've read good things about that cam, holler back with the results eh

Old 05-12-2008, 11:36 AM
zoopman
Road Master

I have heard good things from all of the ones mentioned! --especially if you are going to go beyond stage 1. There is a ton of info if ya do a search. The neat thing I've heard about the T-max is that it has the capability to self-adjust to your engine with a close map to start.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:17 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, after hearing back from the dealer where i bought the bike over how much it would cost with a SERT tuning and subsequent dyna, it makes sense just to buy the autotune and go from there

Old 05-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Koppster
Tourer

JS,

I have a T Max and I'm pretty darned pleased with it. I bought it because I didn't want to have to dyno the bike.

You do have to get a close fit when you select a map but after that, the wide band 02 sensors will tweak the bike for you.

SERT probably works well too, I have no experience with it, just didn't like the "have to dyno" part.

You might want to ramble around the ECM forum and do a TMax search. There's a forum member who sells TMax for about $700.

Rick

Old 05-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Chipstah
Road Warrior

Well, you don't really HAVE to dyno with the SERT, but it isn't a bad idea if ya want your engine running at max efficiency. As for prices, when I got my bike the SERT was about $360 (on special if bought at time of delivery) and got my dyno tune for $135 flat fee on a Fall Special (usually $155) at a local HD dealer with a top notch engine tech. Had to leave the bike over night as he makes as many runs as needed to tune both cylinders separately and I couldn't be happier with the results. Plus my dealer guaranteed it was covered under warranty and put it in writing. Also preferred not to have any piggybacked devices hanging off my engine. Back then the best price I could find for the TMax was a bit over $800, so it was a no brainer for me - a little under $500 compared to over $800 - I'm sure it's a great product and you likely get what you pay for, but $300+ is $300+.