Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Barebones vs. stock FXD seat

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:23 PM
JerseyDevil
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barebones vs. stock FXD seat

Looking to get a Lepera Barebones for my 08 FXD. For those of you that have the barebones how comfortable is it compared to your stock seat? The stocker on my bike isn't that good nor bad for that matter. Only have gone about 75 miles at a clip on it and it is tolerable to a point. I weigh about 205 lbs if that makes any difference. So if the Lepera is close I'm definately getting it.

Thanks

Old 05-13-2008, 04:51 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Barebones vs. stock FXD seat

I have a barebones on my fxst, Gel............at first it feels like a brick........and about 400miles later it feels like a much softer brick [&:]

Old 05-13-2008, 04:55 PM
expy
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Barebones and find it about the same comfort wise but it gets high marks for looking much better than stock.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:47 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with expy. I'd compare the comfort to a stock seat, but that isn't saying much. My experience is that it is plenty comfortable, as you said, to a point and then your bum needs a break. Mine doesn't seem to get steadily uncomfortable. It's fine and about the samefor about an hour and then, boom, need a break. Really brings out the dyna's lines though and brings you lower "into" the bike and back a little bit. It's not a pack up and ride 1500 miles to Sturgis seat and it isn't marketed that way. But, it is surprisingly comfy for its size.

HD7585's comments are what made me not consider the gel. I heard that if it's the least little bit cool out, the gel feels hard.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:20 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it is surprisingly comfy for its size.
I think that sums it up perfectly.I was so pleasantly suprised by it's comfort I gave away my stock seat.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:53 PM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think your going to regret that!
Last week I went on my first over 50mi ride since getting a Corbin Hollywood Solo, (much like the Barebones, just more expensive ). After a 2 1/2 hour ride including two smoke breaks, my tailbone was killing me! Never again! All out of town rides, the stock 2-up seat goes back on. Either that or I may try to slip a Mustang Vintage Solo past the war department, for use on longer solo rides .

Cheers... Ben.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:18 PM
ron1026
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I've got the bare bones on my sg and it looks great and seems comfy but it puts me too far back to be comfortable with the forwards and drag bars, am thinking about the corbin close solo, has anyone got any experience with it.

Thanks Ron

Old 05-13-2008, 10:57 PM
JerseyDevil
Road Captain

Thanks fellas, one more thing. How far back would you say it puts you? I definitely want to go lower but don't want to go too far back with the forward controls, I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:50 AM
SK8ROD
Banned

ive done a lot of miles on mine now and am amazed at how comfortable it is. Frst time i got on it i thought i had made a mistake in buying one, but a few miles later it was clear just how cool this seat is. Biggest run was just over 1000 miles in two days and no problems at all just a little saddle weary at the end , but the next day i headed into London for work and no worries, comfortable all the way. - pete

Old 05-14-2008, 07:10 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: JerseyDevil

Thanks fellas, one more thing. How far back would you say it puts you? I definitely want to go lower but don't want to go too far back with the forward controls, I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam.
JD, I'd say about an inch to an inch and a half. But, as you can see in the pix of it, the surface of the seat is pretty much free ranging *** area as there is no real "pocket" or "bucket" to sit in. So, you can really plant yourself on it wherever you want. Some people don't like that aspect of it but I do. It isn't specifically made for tall people so I think you'll be fine with it. So, it's not that it moves you back on purpose, it just gives you room to slide back further if you want. I'm 6'4" but my inseam is only 34" compared to your 32" and I could still ride the bike even further back if I wanted to.

Quick Reply: Barebones vs. stock FXD seat