Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on early twin cam 88 (remember the cam problem?)

Old 05-16-2008, 12:41 PM
lhuck63
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on early twin cam 88 (remember the cam problem?)

OK, so I bought a 2000 FXDWG with 1900 miles on it, wanting to get back into riding. Fully chromed out. Thought I got a good deal at $9,500.The bike is basically still new barely broken in and it runs great. It sat in this rich guys garage and never ridden (isn't that a crime somewhere?). I then found out about the cam problems in these early 88's (live and learn). I confirmed with HD that this enginewas manufacturered prior to Dec 14, 1999, thedate they changed over to the needle bearings,so this bike has the original cam bearings that are suspect of failing. HD said "only" 10% of the engines had to have the bearings replaced. I've read horror stories about when these bearings go the engine is toast. Talking with the local stealer, they said the odds are the bike will be fine for many miles. My question is, how many of you have the early 1999 or early 2000'swith the original bearings?How manymiles?Should I be proactive, bite the bullet, and replace the cam bearings (and while at it install better cams)? Any advice?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:53 PM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Need advice on early twin cam 88 (remember the cam problem?)

I'm fortunate enough that my twinky is an 01 and I didn't have to worry about this same problem. Although I can't get specific for you, here are my thoughts......

Bite the bullet.....

And while your at it, go to gear driven cams. Get rid of those early tensioners, just another weak link in early twinkies......and you should have many miles of no problems.

Betting on the come line, and risking MAJOR repairs if the bearing or tensioner fail, and all the worries that go with it........just isn't worth the cost of the repairs up front.

Respects,
Ed

Old 05-16-2008, 01:03 PM
lhuck63
2nd Gear

Thanks Wescoot2. I am definitely leaning that way. I know there are many threads and opinions on which cams are the best. Any suggestions anyway?I ride solo, not into racing, but love the rush ofnot coming in second, if you know what I mean.I don't want to spend too much, so just want to stick with cam upgrades at this point.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:36 PM
ron1026
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I just did the samething, bought a 2000 sg lessthan 3k miles and had the suspect bearings in it. First thing I did was to change out the bearings and put the gears in it. Peace of mind is priceless!

Ron

Old 05-16-2008, 01:53 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I do know several people that have 40,000-50,000 miles on them and no prob But I guess it is a crap shoot especially with that laying around condensation must have formed some rust. I guess the question is whats it going to cost you, can you do it or are you going to a dealer?

Old 05-16-2008, 02:46 PM
lhuck63
2nd Gear

I will have the dealer do it - not enought time in a day, nor the right tools I'm sure. They said it would be about three hours labor plus the cost of the parts.Glad to hear others haven't had any problems with the bearings. I've already "warned" the wife I would need to spend the money. I guess it might be a blessing in disguise - get to install some performance cams now . Any suggestions or advice on cams?

Old 05-16-2008, 02:56 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: lhuck63

OK, so I bought a 2000 FXDWG with 1900 miles on it, wanting to get back into riding. Fully chromed out. Thought I got a good deal at $9,500.The bike is basically still new barely broken in and it runs great. It sat in this rich guys garage and never ridden (isn't that a crime somewhere?). I then found out about the cam problems in these early 88's (live and learn). I confirmed with HD that this enginewas manufacturered prior to Dec 14, 1999, thedate they changed over to the needle bearings,so this bike has the original cam bearings that are suspect of failing. HD said "only" 10% of the engines had to have the bearings replaced. I've read horror stories about when these bearings go the engine is toast. Talking with the local stealer, they said the odds are the bike will be fine for many miles. My question is, how many of you have the early 1999 or early 2000'swith the original bearings?How manymiles?Should I be proactive, bite the bullet, and replace the cam bearings (and while at it install better cams)? Any advice?
Get the issue of Baggers magizine(I know you dont have a bagger, but the article is good). I think it was the May issuie. They fully detail the "Early Twin cam 88", problems, fixes, shows a full teardown and repair. It is worth your time to read. BTW, SWEET price for a WG for $9500 with a twinky motor.

The following users liked this post:
mxgod630 (03-26-2017)
Old 05-16-2008, 03:10 PM
lhuck63
2nd Gear

Thanks a ton for the advice and comment on price. Was starting to get that buyers remorse sinking feelingafter I read about the cam problems, but I don't care now.The bike looks and runs great and the ride is worth it.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:45 AM
TK WildBunch
Stage II
Default 99 harley-davidson electra glide classic twin cam 88

99 harley-davidson flhtci. 119500 miles all stock. No major mechanical repairs... just standard maintenance...

Old 09-26-2016, 02:03 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advice on early twin cam 88 (remember the cam problem?)