Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-Bar Issue With '05 Super Glide Custom

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Fuente
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Bar Issue With '05 Super Glide Custom

I need some help and advice and I know I've come to the right people. I have an '05 Super Glide Custom, black Pear, chrome switch housing, kuryakyn grips and pegs, etc., etc..... what I don't like is the stock bars and the fact that I need another inch or two pull back to make my ride perfect.

I have checked on the chubby t-bars, internal wiring, from Wild One, and here is the issue:

* the speedometer mounted with speedo and light gauge can be done with a new bracket (very expensive) but there is a question on how it looks being so big, and the fact that it will sit basically on the t-bars up top

- first.... anyone out there done this and how does it look? where did you mount the speeedo and light gauge bracket?

- next.... I could purchase a bracket that DOES NOT include the light gauges, therefore I would be without the light gauges. The only thing that means anything to me functionally there would be the oil gauge. Has anyone done this and what do you think? How does it look being smaller without the light gauges included in the bracket? And where did you mount it on the chubby t-bars?

The regular 1" chubs would work with the stock speedo bracket, but then I might run into issue with getting new cables... and the idea is to get the beefy 1 1/4" t-bars.

HD has nothing for me regarding this.... I have a shop who can do it, but my concern is how it would look mounted on the t-bars. One person says they look sharp and not too many wires are showing... another says it's ugly and sticks out like a sore thumb right there on top of the slick beefy t-bars. Help please with any suggestions or part #'s , etc. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:41 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Default RE: T-Bar Issue With '05 Super Glide Custom

In the J&P Catalog there is a bracket that will make the T-Bars work with you existing speedo housing bracket and look good.
The part#s for the different bar thicknesses are:

560-027 for 1" bars, 730-197 for 1 1/4" bars, 560-031 for 1 1/2" bars

www.jpcycles.com

Old 03-03-2006, 06:17 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's another choice, worked for me. Stock OEM gauge(s) in stock mounting bracket. Bolted right to an Accutronix gauge mount, IMO looks as good if not better than stock and there are no wiring or fitment issues, installed in 15 minutes and can be moved up or down your T-bars to suit your liking. Accutronix mount is about $80.00, polished aluminum, raw aluminum or chromed, your choice.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1981/1ED245E4931448FCBC68E54B8BE979C7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1981/1702655B99C74ABE8DF4751F929FD478.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1981/5D8666DB0CAE4DCFA5618B4E3255C8E9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Fuente
Advanced

I'm checking with J&P, but I also want to check on the Accutronix.... do you have a place to get it and what is the part #? Also, my speedo setup on the fxdci is only a speedo/light gauge, but no tach. It's just a single.... yours looks to be a double with a tach.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:44 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

The adapter will work with a single or dual gage setup. will send pics tomorrow.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:46 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

DGlide04, like your seat and rack setup. Hows the comfort of the seat?

Mike

Old 03-03-2006, 10:12 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member

The seat is a custom solo made by Bar Enterprises in CA. The one in the pictures is an older one from last year, I had that one made with the millenuim foam, kind of like the mattress foam that contours to your body. The idea is great, but it only works when the temperature gets above 70. I sent the seat back to Bar this winter to have the old foam swapped for more traditional latex foam. Since it is still snowing here in NY, I can only vouch for the comfort of the seat from sitting on it in my garage, but it seems more of what I am looking for. It looks real good and is pretty comfortable also. The rack is a Motherwell unit.

harleyseats.com

Old 03-03-2006, 10:13 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member

You can buy the mount from Accutronix at accutronix.com or Drag and other retailers have it in their catalogs a little cheaper.

Old 03-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Fuente
Advanced

How about the aspect of NOT having the gauge lights? At first thought, the only thing that would mean anything to me is the 'oil gauge' light, but I have since learned that the engine itself will tell you if there is a problem with the oil pressure... this according to 2 HD techs. The bike will definitely look cleaner and sharper with only the speedometer mounted, since when I looked closely at the stock bracket with speedo and gauge lights - it's HUGE!

My thought is to mount the speedo up top of the risers, and with the speedo ONLY, the amount of wiring is minimal and the look much cleaner. Does this sound right to anyone out there who has experienced it, or is there something else I need to know. Also, what if the speedo was mounted on top of the bars itself? Would it look awkward, or is it just better to place it on the risers toward the top so you can still see it? Johnny at Wild One says the stock cables will work with the t-bar chubbies with the least amount of pull back, which means savings for me in not having to replace them. Thoughts please? I'm ready to pull the trigger on this Wednesday.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:53 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member

The idiot light cut outs below the speedo add less than 3/4" to the overall size of the gauge. The problem that I can see is that all of the idiot lights are a part of the speedo wiring harness and will have to be dealt with iin some fashion or another. If you just cut them off and capped the wires, you'd still have to make room for the wire somewhere, maybe tuck it behind the HL for instance. As far as the engine telling me when there is an oil pressure problem, that may not be until there is none and then seize up. I'd like to have a little more warning and if I can get that 30 seconds faster with an idiot light, I'll take my chances that it'll prevent any real damage. Unless you plan on buying an aftermarket gauge bracket, the OEM will have the light cut outs anyway.

As far as the placement of the speedo, along the risers is a little better because of the curve of the risers, you can adjust the angle of the speedo. I have mine (with lights) on the downward curve of the risers which seems to be good for my use. Again, its like the lights, it is a personal choice. I don't mind the lights and messing with the wiring harness any more than I've already done or have to, just doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Let us know what you finally decide. HD chrome bracket or stock black is not that bad looking on T-bars.

Quick Reply: T-Bar Issue With '05 Super Glide Custom