Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning about H-D Frame Lift Adapters

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 02:43 PM
00glider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning about H-D Frame Lift Adapters

Hi Guys,
&nbsp\\;
This is a warning about the limitations of the H-D Frame Lift Adapter sets.&nbsp\\; They are cool in that they are soft and protect your frame as well as let you get your Dyna flat on a lift, but,... that same softness can let the orange frame grippers peel from the harder base, or slowly tilt over time until your bike might be on the garage floor on it's side or into another vehicle if you are not lucky
&nbsp\\;
Here is my story.
&nbsp\\;
Since I got my FXDWG three years ago, I bought a lift and a set of frame adapters.&nbsp\\; I also made a ramp that I use to get the front end high enough to put the lift under.&nbsp\\; That puts the frame on an angle, and since I work by myself, occationally I don't get the lift adapters perfectly square under the bike.&nbsp\\; I'm use to this, and am generally very careful to check that the adpters are in the correct place and have no tilt before I ever jack the bike into final position for working on.
&nbsp\\;
A couple weeks ago I put the bike on the lift and strapped it down to take off the rear wheel so I could relace it (see Progect Room for details).&nbsp\\; I don't have it finished yet because I am waiting for a new chrome pulley.&nbsp\\; Anyways, I go to a convention last week and when I get home this is what I find.
&nbsp\\;
The bike is still on the lift, but the front wheel has dropped to within a hair of the floor in the front.&nbsp\\; It is usually 6 inches above the ground and I can see that the lift adapters have failed, twisted to the right and dropped the bike onto the lift arms.&nbsp\\; It's a miracle the bike wasn't on the floor.&nbsp\\; I suspect the culprit is I tightened the straps on the handlebars too tight - and when the rear wheel was removed the weight change was enough to cause this over a couple of weeks.&nbsp\\; DON'T TIGHTEN YOUR STRAPS TOO HARD.&nbsp\\; THE ADAPTERS CAN DEFORM AND MAKE THE BIKE UNSTABLE.
&nbsp\\;
Here is a picture from the side.&nbsp\\;It shows the frame is not level and the front wheel is nearly on the ground.

&nbsp\\;
Here is a view from the rear.&nbsp\\; You can see that the right rear plastic piece is doing it's job, but the left rear is separating and tilted.

&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Here are a couple of views from the right side.&nbsp\\; You can see that the right front is completely tipped over to the right.&nbsp\\; The black bottom piece is tilted and&nbsp\\;still on the lift arm, but the orange frame gripper is separated and completly off the arm.

&nbsp\\;

&nbsp\\;
This is the left front.

&nbsp\\;

Old 06-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Warning about H-D Frame Lift Adapters

Did you support that front wheel with a floor jack or something, when you removed all that weight from the rear?&nbsp\\; If not, that was probably a large contributing factor to what happened.&nbsp\\; Glad there wasn't any further damage to your ride.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:18 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
One of mine failed last time I used the lift also. The adapter twisted and the the black part separated. Appears to be only attached with some kind of double sided tape. **** poor design.
&nbsp\\;
Good Luck
&nbsp\\;
Tom

Old 06-22-2008, 04:25 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the heads up...

Old 06-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Ainokea
Intermediate

Thanks for the heads up.&nbsp\\; How long was the bike on the lift?&nbsp\\; I take it the adapters are trash or you won't trust them again.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:41 PM
murphdog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Happened to one of mine, too. One piece design would have been better.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:14 PM
rayfinseats
Road Captain

Maybe the factory should add some junk to the other side of the frame on the newer models. Kinda retarded if you ask me to make a frame lopsided like that. Don't they think people wok on these things?

Old 06-22-2008, 08:16 PM
DoubleU
Cruiser

Good info.&nbsp\\; Thanks for the heads up.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:19 PM
wolfman 66
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I got the J&amp\\;S jack no more need for the adapters.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:36 PM
VenturaChop
Road Master

always support the other side that you working on are u sure you put them on nice and straight my bike has been on my lift for about 2 and a half weeks&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp \\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\ ; nice and level

Quick Reply: Warning about H-D Frame Lift Adapters