Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metallic "Clink-Clink" Sound - 2007 FXDC Super Glide Custom

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 02:27 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Metallic "Clink-Clink" Sound - 2007 FXDC Super Glide Custom

Today I went for about a 130 mile ride with some friends.&nbsp\\; My 2007 FXDC Super Glide Custom has 8,200 miles on it.&nbsp\\; At varying speeds and loads, I started hearing a metallic "clink-clink" sound that sounds a bit like two champagne glasses being clinked together.&nbsp\\; I only hear it for about 2 seconds and usually at the bottom of 2nd gear as I'm accelearating up to speed or in 4th gear as I accelerate from about 48mph to about 50mph.&nbsp\\; At steady highway speeds, from 50mph to 85mph, I&nbsp\\;do not hear anything.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
The bike runs fine.&nbsp\\; I checked the oil. The oil is okay. I checked for loose bolts that perhaps might be making noise due to harmonics - I can't find anything loose.&nbsp\\; I took off my fork bags and E-Zpass holders in case they were vibrating on the handlebars.&nbsp\\; I checked the bolts and fitting for my detachable windshield.&nbsp\\; I found nothing.&nbsp\\; The "clink-clink" still remains.
&nbsp\\;
Does anyone have a suggestion on what this might be?
&nbsp\\;
Thanks,
Richard

Old 06-29-2008, 03:46 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Metallic "Clink-Clink" Sound - 2007 FXDC Super Glide Custom

Your clink ckink sounds like ping ping to me.........Spark knock...........Hot weather or to low a octaine fuel

Old 06-29-2008, 03:55 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Default RE: Metallic "Clink-Clink" Sound - 2007 FXDC Super Glide Custom

Thanks. You know - I was thinking the same thing.&nbsp\\; I had just never heard spark-knock on a Harley so I wasn't sure if that's what it was.
&nbsp\\;
It is very hot and very humid. And, I had just filled up the tank before the ride.&nbsp\\; Is it possible that the 93 octane I got at the Raceway Station wasn't actually 93 octane?
&nbsp\\;
Thanks,
Richard

Old 06-29-2008, 04:08 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Metallic "\\;Clink-Clink"\\; Sound - 2007 FXDC Super Glide Custom

Mine has pinged while I'm really slamming the throttle and pushing 85+ - I normally avoid doing that (had to get around a motorhome in the mountains), but I clearly heard the noise and it surprised me. Has never pinged at any other time. Is your bike completely stock or do you have a stage one? I have been told the new bikes run pretty lean from the factory.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:11 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Default RE: Metallic "\\\\\\;Clink-Clink"\\\\\\; Sound - 2007 FXDC Super Glide Custom

I have 8,200 miles on my 2007 FXDC and did the Stage 1 at 1,500 miles.&nbsp\\; V&amp\\;H Straightshot Slipons, Screaming Eagle Stage 1 Air Cleaner Kit, and V&amp\\;H Fuelpak.&nbsp\\; The bike has run perfectly and has never pinged before whether it's around town, or on a 250 mile run.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Richard

Old 06-29-2008, 04:26 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Metallic "\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;Clink-Clink"\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Sound - 2007 FXDC Super Glide Custom

Sounds like your stage one is good - you have all the right pieces I guess. I'm a carb guy so can't speak for FI! Like you said, maybe it was the gas. We had a few instances here in San Antonio where gas stations were ripping people off by putting regular in all of their tanks but selling it as premium.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:38 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Default RE: Metallic "\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;Clink-Clink"\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Sound - 2007 FXDC Super Glide Custom

I really think I got bad gas when I filled up at the Raceway this morning before the ride.&nbsp\\; The last time I got bad gas was in 1976 so that is not the first thing I would think of.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I will recheck the settings on my Vance &amp\\; Hines Fuelpak just to make sure they are still okay.&nbsp\\; If those settings are okay, then I'll just fill-up next time at a different gas station to see if the (supposed) 93 octane gas was the problem.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks,
Richard

Old 06-29-2008, 04:42 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Default RE: Metallic "\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;Clink-Clink"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Sound - 2007 FXDC Super Glide Custom

Also, am convinced that the sound I hear is spark-knock.&nbsp\\; Apparently the sound that I describe as "clink-clink" like two champagne glasses clinking together, is described by others as ice cubes hitting the bottom of a glass or of pebbles hitting the fender or frame.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
So I'll check my Fuelpak and get a better tank of gas next time.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks,
Richard