Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna vs Sportster need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:31 AM
1nuckenfut
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dyna vs Sportster need help!

I have both Dyna and XL1200. Both 06's. If you're just going to ride around town or short excursions into some twistys get the Sporty. If you're going to do any road trips, get the Dyna. Yesterday I took a 2 hour ride into the country to hit some good curves on the Sporty. Man I LOVE that little&nbsp\\;bike. What a blast for that kind off ridin. Although I have a friend with an 883 that goes on every long distance trip we make, he's spent ALOT of money buying accessories to make it a comfortable ride. For comfort and handling combo, the Dyna hands down. Incidentally in response to nigelgeast reference to the Sporty not being "the real thing", thems fighten words my man. Do a little HD history&nbsp\\;research. The Sportster is more Harley than anything else they offer.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:49 AM
tweakin
Road Master

Ask this question on the Dyna page and guess what people will recommend.

Really. Get a Dyna if you want off the showroom floor comfort for the longer rides. Get a Sportster if you want a bike for primarily around town riding and day trips. With the sportster you can really feel the road (this can be good or bad depends on you)

Both are great bikes. Ride both, then make your own decision, don't make it based on a message board.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:53 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: tweakin

Ask this question on the Dyna page and guess what people will recommend.

Really. Get a Dyna if you want off the showroom floor comfort for the longer rides. Get a Sportster if you want a bike for primarily around town riding and day trips. With the sportster you can really feel the road (this can be good or bad depends on you)

Both are great bikes. Ride both, then make your own decision, don't make it based on a message board.
+1 best advice tweakin

Old 07-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome ride, tweakin.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:19 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

well you are talking about two differnt bikes.but if you have rode a little bit and planning on road trips . then the dyna is the way to go and if money has little to do with it all then you would be better off with the dyna. the 1200 sportster is a great bike but for room if you are going to ride much with two then you want a dyna.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:01 AM
ernajlb
Advanced

I have taken an 1300 mile trip on my '04 Sporty and numerous day trips of 250 to 300 miles.&nbsp\\; Although 12000 total miles doesn't sound like much for 4 years, I've had a lot of other commitments, too.&nbsp\\; I've taken both my Sporty and my Super Glide through the Dragon's Tail in TN/NC and had a blast on both.&nbsp\\; No doubt the SG soaks up a lot more of the road irregularities with it's heavier chassis, but I've replaced the seat on BOTH of them from stock, and added highway pegs to both. Risers on the Sporty and repositioned the SG handlebars.&nbsp\\; It's all about making the adjustments to suit you.&nbsp\\; My Sporty has the high compression SE 1200 upgrade and has custom paint and in my opinion just has an awesome classic look! My SG is basically stock but can get 55 mpg on the highway.&nbsp\\; I like them both, and could live with either one if I had to make a choice.&nbsp\\; It just depends on what type of riding you plan on doing.&nbsp\\; Yeah, 2 up is easier on the SG, but that's not always a consideration for me.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Mr_taterhead
Cruiser

If you haven't done it yet, just go sit on both of them...that was all it took for me.&nbsp\\; The difference in that few minutes was in the suspension.&nbsp\\; The sporty (which I was going to get) just felt like a rock.&nbsp\\; Plus, even at 5'7', I felt oversized on the sporty.
&nbsp\\;
like the looks, but the feel of the dyna was better for a negligible price difference (for the FXD).

Old 07-07-2008, 10:47 AM
garyn
3rd Gear

I rode rice in my twenties, stopped, did the career thing then got the bug again. To make sure I still wanted to ride I bought a 96 sportster – 1200 custom. Rode 4 months then bought a bigger bike – 2002 fxdwg. Bite the bullet and get the bigger bike – the one you really want. Get a late model though, the new ones all look the same.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Chipstah
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like a few others I, too, have owned both (and still do) an 07 St Bob and an 02 Sporty 1200s. Sporty sure is light and fast, but I feel like I ride on top of it even with the Corbin hollywood solo seat, whereas, on the Street Bob, I feel like I ride in it big difference in riding position and feel. Sporty hardly goes out now unless short jaunts around town. The Street Bob goes anywhere and everywhere all the time! No idea why I bothered with the Sporty other than it was a real deal at the time, and I just love the look of sportys with the 3.3 gallon tank (until I have to fill up twice as often as my buddies!).

Old 07-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Bliz
Novice

Thank you so much to each and every one of you that took the time to respond. I have truly enjoyed reading your responses and I know I will make a much more informed decision when the time comes. I am convinced I will be buying a Dyna and if all goes as planned I will be at the dealership&nbsp\\;this&nbsp\\;Saturday to sit on and try them. At present I am leaning toward a Super Glide, Super Glide Custom or the low rider. Thanks again for all your help. Ride Safe!&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: Dyna vs Sportster need help!