Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prevent seat scratching

Old 08-27-2008, 09:10 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I brought my seat to an upholstery company and they glued a soft felt to the bottom of the seat. I also make sure the fender is extremely clean before putting my two up seat on.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:02 AM
FXDLGG64
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best solution IMO

Originally Posted by Prodriverdon
I use a $4 Schwinn inner tube and super glued it to the bottom of the pillion pad....
This is actually similar to what used to be under the factory seat.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:55 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeInMa
I brought my seat to an upholstery company and they glued a soft felt to the bottom of the seat. I also make sure the fender is extremely clean before putting my two up seat on.
this is probably the most important thing you can do.

when i used to use my bare bones pilion, at first i just folded a microfiber towel and placed it on the fender.

next, as a more permanent solution i took a piece of neoprene (think mousepad or wetsuit material) and cut it to fit and glued it to the bottom of the pillion, rubber side to the pillion, fabric side to the paint.

i picked up a 2up seat a week or so ago and will probably go the neoprene route again.

like was said before, just wipe down the seat and the fender well before you bolt the seat down.

the seat won't scratch your paint so much as the dust traped between the seat and your fender will.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:07 AM
Browning1971
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of these are great tips, if you leave a micro fiber rag under the seat does it ever catch moisture? Or do you take it off, which is best if you leave the seat on all the time?

Old 12-31-2013, 07:31 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chevdude
Awesome thread! Anyone have a part number for the clear tape?
You can get it at Walmart.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:55 PM
LAFO
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an idea: http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/index

It's clear, it's resistant, it's flexible and it's worth a try

I don't have that problem because my fender has some factory protection, but if I mod my seat in the future I would probably use something like this. I've seen some car fenders with a similar protective film.

For throw over saddle bags, Foxcreekleather has a good solution: http://www.foxcreekleather.com/produ...g-fender-guard

Probably some can adapt it for the two up problem

Old 12-31-2013, 01:52 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Prodriverdon
I use a $4 Schwinn inner tube and super glued it to the bottom of the pillion pad....
I use strips of black weather stripping made for mounting pickup canopy's stuck to the under side of my seat.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:58 PM
Shipdriver48
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rockon
Try a fender bib...HD and Mustang each have a vinyl one that some forumites have testified work great on their bikes. And of course there's plenty of custom leather guys out there making them if you want something snazzier than vinyl for when you're rocking the solo saddle.
"Forumites". That is officially my favorite word of 2013!

Old 12-31-2013, 05:22 PM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,798 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by toastman
this is probably the most important thing you can do.

when i used to use my bare bones pilion, at first i just folded a microfiber towel and placed it on the fender.

next, as a more permanent solution i took a piece of neoprene (think mousepad or wetsuit material) and cut it to fit and glued it to the bottom of the pillion, rubber side to the pillion, fabric side to the paint.

i picked up a 2up seat a week or so ago and will probably go the neoprene route again.

like was said before, just wipe down the seat and the fender well before you bolt the seat down.

the seat won't scratch your paint so much as the dust traped between the seat and your fender will.

I cut up an old wet suit and use a piece of it under my 2 up seat when I put it on, works great.

Had a Lepera 2 up seat on my last Harley for over 7 years, and it never left a mark. They use steel seat frames covered in carpet.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:41 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

I used some chrome/black automotive body side molding where the seat was touching the fender. I had to notch the inner side of the molding to form it in the corners.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Prevent seat scratching