Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prevent seat scratching

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:08 PM
psmith007
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prevent seat scratching

what can I place under my 2up seat to prevent it from scratching my fender?

Old 08-12-2008, 08:49 PM
BlueShift
Road Master

try a micro fiber cloth. Thats what I do on the rare occasion that I ride 2up.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior

Just went through this myself...went in screamin' at my stealeship just a few weeks ago! From many other riders I've talked to & from H-D Customer service themselves by phone, "any smooth service which has a rougher surface abrasively rubbing up against it iover and over again s eventually bound to scratch". So from what I've been able to find, I guess the majority seems to agree that this is "normal"?

There's only a few ways to prevent it:

1) H-D sells a thin, 3M clear adhesive plastic sheet that is made to stick to the rear fender to prevent this scratching. You can see this stock on pretty much any CVO bike. Down-side of this...you've got to literally peel it off if you don't want to see it while riding solo- it's a one-time use type of deal.

2) Like Blueshift said, I've heard of people using everything from a micro fiber cloth to a mouse pad placed between the passenger part of the 2-up seat & the rear fender. Hey...if it works?

3) Lastly, just don't ever ride 2-up! I know...sounds ridiculous, but it's really only one of just a few ways your going ever going to be able to guarantee yourself a scratch-free fender under a 2-up seat!

Best of luck!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:49 PM
HDDyna2006
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a fender bib.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:50 PM
cpa55
Cruiser

I use a diaper under my seat and no it is not because I "leak"!!!

Old 08-12-2008, 10:00 PM
PsTaN
Road Master

I use some stuff called "Trimbrite Bodyguard Paint Protection Film". Great product and can be ordered online from Cabelas.

PsTaN

Old 08-12-2008, 11:16 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

ok... here it is.... two options i have found and both work... #1 use felt bumpers liek you would find for the bottom of chairs on hard wood floors, works great but every time before you put on the seat wipe it down with a damp cloth... #2 use the 3m version of the clear tape, i actually think there is a company on here as a sponser that sells it... if not you can order it on ebay... great stuff and when installed (if done right) you can not see it at all! I use it all the time when i have done custom paint on a rocket and they need a tank pad to protect the tank from getting scrathed... it is a bit $ but well worth it! it is all over my girls bike rear fender to protect it from the thow over bags

Old 08-12-2008, 11:27 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Anything that you place on the fender will eventually trap dust which will then abrade the surface. You need to stick on a protective surface so the only movement will be between the seat and what ever protective surface that you use. I used several layers of clear packing tape. As mentioned above the 3M clear adhesive plastic sheet or Trimbrite Bodyguard Paint Protection Film are also some good materials to use that stick on to the paint.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master

I use a $4 Schwinn inner tube and super glued it to the bottom of the pillion pad....

Old 08-13-2008, 12:59 PM
chevdude
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome thread! Anyone have a part number for the clear tape?

Quick Reply: Prevent seat scratching