Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test rode a '09 Super Glide, how close is it to a T-Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 03:38 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test rode a '09 Super Glide, how close is it to a T-Sport?

I'm Harley shopping, and I love the 01-03 T-Sport. Half fairing, cool bags, no chrome, good suspension and brakes, and the right price. I went to a dealer the other day to look around, and ended up test riding a 2009 Super Glide. Very nice bike, but it had the stock mid-controls and I could tell right away that I'd much prefer the forward mounts. I very much liked the way it rode, but my legs felt a bit cramped on the midmounts. I'm 6'6" with a 36" inseam. I also sat on a Street Bob and a Wide glide, both with forward controls, and both felt great!

So I'm about one step away from pulling the trigger on an 02 Dyna T-Sport with forward controls, but it'll be a sight-unseen fly-and-ride, and I'm worried that I won't be comfortable on the T-sport since I haven't had a chance to try it out. How much different will the seating position be on 2002 T-Sport vs. a 2009 Super Glide or 2008 Street Bob and Wide glide? I'm hoping that will forward controls, all three have the same seating position but I haven't been able to confirm it for sure.

Please help! I'm Harley shopping because I have a bad knee, and comfort is key!

Thanks!

Old 08-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the riding position changed much with the redesign, so any Dyna with forwards should be pretty close. If the T has stock bars, they are different from the new SG buckhorns. The T will have a higher seat height (obviously) which I guess is a good thing for a big'un like you. I think the T-Sport is a great bike- how much you having to pay (if you don't mind saying)?

Old 08-21-2008, 04:18 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Forward controls on a Super Glide - feels same as on Street Bob

A Street Bob is a Super Glide with a solo seat, no rear footpegs and mini-ape handlebars. If you like the feel of the forward controls on a Street Bob, you'll like a Super Glide with forward controls - it'll feel the same. Do what I did - have the dealer install forward controls before you take delivery. See what you can negotiate with the dealer. There's nothing wrong with an end of year 2008 Super Glide - and it'll be cheaper than a 2009. So if the dealer won't throw in the forward controls on a 2009 - see one of the local Harley dealers for a 2008 and have them put forward controls on it.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:30 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rdondes
A Street Bob is a Super Glide with a solo seat, no rear footpegs and mini-ape handlebars. If you like the feel of the forward controls on a Street Bob, you'll like a Super Glide with forward controls - it'll feel the same. Do what I did - have the dealer install forward controls before you take delivery. See what you can negotiate with the dealer. There's nothing wrong with an end of year 2008 Super Glide - and it'll be cheaper than a 2009. So if the dealer won't throw in the forward controls on a 2009 - see one of the local Harley dealers for a 2008 and have them put forward controls on it.
Really, the only reason I was checking it out was because I'm trying to get an idea of how the T-Sport will feel. He quoted me $16,100 for a 2009 two-tone Super Glide Custom, with the parts for the forward controls included. Didn't seem like a great deal to me at all, but it was a nice bike.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:38 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dawg Rider
I don't think the riding position changed much with the redesign, so any Dyna with forwards should be pretty close. If the T has stock bars, they are different from the new SG buckhorns. The T will have a higher seat height (obviously) which I guess is a good thing for a big'un like you. I think the T-Sport is a great bike- how much you having to pay (if you don't mind saying)?
Cool, that's great news! Pretty much the only thing holding me back is the comfort factor, but if it sits just like that wide glide, I'm in business!

The bike is a 2002 with 4500 miles, stage 1, VH Longshot pipes, Kyur-something-or-other forward mounts, new tires, fluids and battery, very clean, $9500.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:26 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MZBuckeye
Cool, that's great news! Pretty much the only thing holding me back is the comfort factor, but if it sits just like that wide glide, I'm in business!

The bike is a 2002 with 4500 miles, stage 1, VH Longshot pipes, Kyur-something-or-other forward mounts, new tires, fluids and battery, very clean, $9500.

It won't ride like the wide glide... it will ride better... the front end has less rake, so steering will be more responsive. Unless you do some serious mods and are pulling the front end up all the time, there is not downside to less rake... If you like the look of the T-Sport, it will handle better than the other dynas... although not with those forward controls, but that's another thread...

Old 08-21-2008, 05:29 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Good to hear. It comes with the parts for the stock controls too, maybe I'll give 'em a try someday.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:50 PM
last saint
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Herr Monk
It won't ride like the wide glide... it will ride better... the front end has less rake, so steering will be more responsive. Unless you do some serious mods and are pulling the front end up all the time, there is not downside to less rake... If you like the look of the T-Sport, it will handle better than the other dynas... although not with those forward controls, but that's another thread...
I couldn't agree with Herr Monk more! +1! The T Sport is a well handling machine!! And I agree about the forwards too....mids rule!!!!!!!

D

Old 08-21-2008, 09:15 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

So how much of a difference is the 96 inch motor on the 07 Superglide vs. the 88 carb'ed on the T-Sport? I just rode my friend's Electraglide classic with the 88 and it was not all that impressive performance wise, bone stock. I imagine the T-Sport will be significantly faster, with less weight and the stage 1 with pipes.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:19 AM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The '06 and later Dynas have redesigned and stiffer frames w/ fewer weld joints, 49mm. front forks rather than teh 39mm forks on the earlier Dynas. I test rode an '05 and an
'06 back to back, and those changes made a huge difference in ride quality. So...I'd go with a new Super Glide, but I'd add some things: RaceTech cartridge emulators and Progressive Springs up front, Progressive 440 or other good shocks on the rear, dual front brakes.... Here's one way to do it and have a bike, I think, that's even better than the great T-Sports: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/266574-dual-brakes-on-street-bob-fast-straight-no-fade.html

Quick Reply: Test rode a '09 Super Glide, how close is it to a T-Sport?